1 room Placeholder--can I split up our party and still use it?

MomOTwins

The Mommy Fairy
I booked a 1-room placeholder for our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) on the Dream, but now I am looking at the classic ships and it is almost always $500-$1,000 cheaper to get us two connecting oceanview rooms than a single "family" room for 5. Plus, it seems like all the family rooms on the classic ships are pretty noisy from being one floor below the pool deck.

So my question is, would I be able to use my placeholder to book one of two connecting rooms to get the discount and credit on one of them, even though that room would only have 3 of the 5 original names from when I filled out the placeholder form? Or am I stuck booking a family room because I put 5 names on the placeholder form? And if I can use it, would I have to book the two rooms on separate reservations (which seems like it could cause a headache down the road), or could DCL put it all on one reservation even though one room is a placeholder and one is not?

Yes, only 1 name on the placeholder needs to stay the same. So no problems just dropping 2 people. As far as I know, each cabin is always a separate reservation, but you can get them linked.

I believe anyone moved to the new stateroom would also be charged the current rate as opposed to the prevailing rate when you originally booked.

To be clear -- the 2nd room would NOT qualify as an OBB -- no discount, no OBC. Yes, you can adjust who is in the 1st cabin, but no you cannot "stretch" 1 placeholder to cover 2 staterooms. You'll have to do the math and see what works best for your family. In the future, you can book 2 placeholders with intent to use both on the same cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just FYI, we always book our family of 5 on Deck 8 Forward on the Classic ships. We are always under the hair salon or spa and it is *silent*.

Just a suggestion, but if you do book two rooms, request that your placeholder be used on the more expensive room, which will probably be the one with three individuals in it.

:)

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! Now I just have to narrow down which cruise... choosing is so stressful!

To be clear -- the 2nd room would NOT qualify as an OBB -- no discount, no OBC. Yes, you can adjust who is in the 1st cabin, but no you cannot "stretch" 1 placeholder to cover 2 staterooms. You'll have to do the math and see what works best for your family. In the future, you can book 2 placeholders with intent to use both on the same cruise. Enjoy your cruise!

Yep, I assumed that would be the case. The price difference is substantially more than the 10% off I would get off of the two other cruisers if we were all five of us in the same room.

Just FYI, we always book our family of 5 on Deck 8 Forward on the Classic ships. We are always under the hair salon or spa and it is *silent*.

I would maybe consider toughing out the seasickness I get from being far forward if the price was better than two rooms, but it for the most part seems to be much more money for any of the family rooms than for two mid-ship connecting rooms on any of the longer 5+ day cruises. Oddly, the family rooms are generally cheaper on the 3 and 4 day cruises, but at least for this trip we want a bit more time on the ship. Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it, Disney pricing seems to be all over the map anyway.

Just a suggestion, but if you do book two rooms, request that your placeholder be used on the more expensive room, which will probably be the one with three individuals in it. :)

Thanks! That is what I was thinking of doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter