10/18/23 MK crowds insight

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Watching Adam the Woo Vlog from last night at MK. It really shows the madness of leaving the MK after the fireworks on a non-party night.

Yes.

It's the only time I've ever feared for my family at WDW. Goes back to our very first visit in 2010. We had no idea what we were in for. Fireworks were over. It was my wife and I, my MIL and FIL, and our kids who were 3, 6 and 8 at the time. Started walking back down Main Street to the park entrance. Pretty quickly, the feeling of possible trampling was real. Shoulder to shoulder, front to back, people all the way down Main Street. It was hard to keep hold of our children's hands. Our party got split up. Guests were stepping on our heels. We were stepping on guests' heels. There was the real feeling that if we stopped we would be "run over".

Heaven forbid someone yells out something that would cause a rush to the exit. Almost certain it would be a mass trampling event.

Some nights are better than others, but those really packed nights are still realistically dangerous IMO.

Exiting MK after fireworks is one of the only two things I hate about WDW (the other is exiting the Fantasmic theatre at HS). Next spring year will be our DS first trip and ours with a child and a stroller, I'm very anxious thinking about the walk up Main Street.

After the fireworks we grab some ice cream and have a seat. I'm in no hurry to leave with the masses.

After fireworks, we hang back in the Hub, find a bench to sit on, wait until the bulk of the crowd has made its way down Main St. We’ve never been pushed out by the CMs.
This has become our tradition as well. I should have mentioned that. We let the crowds disperse while we grab ice cream and find a table in front of the Plaza. It’s a super way to end the night. We typically visit in the summertime now and the temperatures and feeling that time of night are just beautiful.

I think it's one reason that FW and Park Closing don't generally line up at MK anymore.

But with there only being a few nights each week that non-party guest can be in the park for FW... it does make it a lot worse.

I love the FW... but unless it's an extra evening hours, we tend to skip them at MK these days.

I usually watch from the right side and make my way to Tomorrowland right after. You do have to swim upstream for a short distance, but once you're on the bridge it spreads out.

Exiting MK after fireworks is one of the only two things I hate about WDW (the other is exiting the Fantasmic theatre at HS). Next spring year will be our DS first trip and ours with a child and a stroller, I'm very anxious thinking about the walk up Main Street.

No need to be fearful. There is no reason you will need to leave as soon as the fireworks/Fantasmic are finished, even if the park is officially closed. You can hang back then leave when you're comfortable. We've done that often. You may need to move a bit to get yourself out of the way if you're in the centre of an area where many are moving but a slow, methodical walk for a little bit can get you to a place to wait until you're comfortable with the crowd level.

Last edited:
Wow! With Disney trying to push as many days into party days days as possible, I bet this stampede is amplified even more then. Not every family can afford a party ticket and they want to see the fireworks.

We wait on the grass in the hub until its much less crowded. One trip my Mom and Dad decided to leave right away for the buses and we left 30ish minutes later. We casually strolled up to the bus line and they were still waiting. We got on the same bus as they did.

I either watch from behind the castle then jump in line for Seven Dwarves or Peter Pan or I watch from the end of Main St near the train station and then turn and book it outta there before the masses descend.

Wow! With Disney trying to push as many days into party days days as possible, I bet this stampede is amplified even more then. Not every family can afford a party ticket and they want to see the fireworks.
It's important to make sure our choice of words are correct. A Stampede (a sudden panicked rush of a group, herd pack). Leaving WDW is not a stampede!! Is it fun? Can it be scary? Yes and Yes but as others have suggested here the best coarse of action is to find a place to sit and watch the masses leave and then after it clears out get up and take your time in a peaceful manner leaving the park.

I am currently here, and we were at MK on Monday, and it was the worst crowd I have seen at MK in my life. Ever. You are talking to a guy who has done Easter week twice at Disney. I have never seen anything like that. Thank goodness for genie plus and stacking allowing us to visit the less crowded attractions in between. We did not leave after fireworks, were actually still finishing up our stacked rides. Crowds were not too bad when we left. We still left well before 11PM.

I tell people every night that I work that there is no need to immediately run to the buses when leaving the parks. Buses will run until the park is empty. Only Disney Springs stops transportation at a specified time. Also the park to park buses are running until the park closes even if the other park has closed. Disney will take you to get your vehicle if you park hopped.

Watching Adam the Woo Vlog from last night at MK. It really shows the madness of leaving the MK after the fireworks on a non-party night.
Given your extensive list of stays in your signature line - you never experienced this time-honored tradition?
While leaving MK is never my favorite part of a trip (around fireworks or not) - I have never really felt it was madness - seems consistent with the exit time of any major venue be it sports, concert or otherwise ...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter