10 NIGHTS RPR...MARDI GRAS & COCKTAILS....MARCH 2018 TRIP

cocofifi just made me scroll back to catch a look at Schumi's ankle boots.......

yea, they are cute!

Thanks mac........I’m hoping it’s warmer, much warmer when we leave in May and hopefully I won’t have boots on that day.......I like sandals..........

Except when it’s cold.........:rotfl:

:wave: .... Glad to see another trip report. I love reading the reports:thumbsup2 ...Glad you had an amazing time again. I agree with you that Orlando is our happy place too:goodvibes

:welcome: Bobbie..........

Glad you’re enjoying reading......we did have a fantastic time.

Yes, we’re beginning to lose count the number of days in our happy place over the last 11 years..........

Thanks mac........I’m hoping it’s warmer, much warmer when we leave in May and hopefully I won’t have boots on that day.......I like sandals..........

Except when it’s cold.........:rotfl:

I laughed a bit at this comment - when we went to the airport a few weeks ago for our trip, I wore my boots to the airport. FIL dropped us off at the curb, I went inside, took my boots and coat off, put sandals on and sent DH back out to the car with them. It was minus 10c when we left and snowing and I wasn't about to go to the airport in sandals, but I also sure wasn't taking my boots to Florida!

I love your trip reports! It is nice seeing a "more mature" couple such as my husband and myself having as much fun as we do.

I just love your trip reports!! Thanks so much for taking the time to put them all together. I'm so excited to have a new one to read!

I laughed a bit at this comment - when we went to the airport a few weeks ago for our trip, I wore my boots to the airport. FIL dropped us off at the curb, I went inside, took my boots and coat off, put sandals on and sent DH back out to the car with them. It was minus 10c when we left and snowing and I wasn't about to go to the airport in sandals, but I also sure wasn't taking my boots to Florida!

lol.......I usually wear knee length suede black boots with that dress......but they are so big no way was I taking them with me!!!

We could have taken them back down to the car before we handed the keys back in, but I decided on the little ones I could maybe wear on the way home......

I`d have done the same as you though if I was getting dropped off curbside........::yes::

I love your trip reports! It is nice seeing a "more mature" couple such as my husband and myself having as much fun as we do.

:welcome:

jeanelle.....nice to see you on here........yes, mature is definitely a nicer way to describe us......lol.......love it!! We certainly try to make the most of our time in Orlando........and glad you enjoy them so much, it`s so nice to hear that.........:)

I just love your trip reports!! Thanks so much for taking the time to put them all together. I'm so excited to have a new one to read!

:welcome: Stargazer9.....another username I love.......:)

I`m so glad you posted and hope you enjoy this one too, nice to have you read along..........:wave2:

Woooo hoooo another trip report by Schumi!!!!!! Sorry I haven't written back in a while but i'm finally caught up (Whew!!)- took some notes from your NY trip (loved the hotel). Always find your reports a great read.

Love reading your pre-flight details/hotel stay. Your pictures are amazing!!!

Last edited:
TRAVEL DAY........WEDNESDAY MARCH 14TH.........

We slept surprisingly well last night......apart from the usual 2am wide awake club where we tried to bore each other back to sleep by sharing the most boring stories ever........trouble with this is, we began to find these ridiculous stories funny and couldn't stop laughing........by 3pm I doubted we`d ever get back to the land of nod.

We must have done as the phone ringing, tv alarm and my ipad going off almost at identical moments.....we jumped out of our skin..... so we must have been sound asleep. The phone call was actually a real person and not an automated service, I marveled at how cheerful and chirpy he was at this early hour........I kinda mumbled Thank You and lay down for a second so I could acclimatize to being awake........I don't like jumping up like that.........but a few seconds later I was in the shower and it was a new showerhead in these ones......I should have taken a picture of the thing, it looked like a Dyson Fan but smaller........and for washing my hair it was useless..........I have fine hair but a lot of it.....so it took forever to wash, rinse, condition and rinse again........Tom thought I had fell asleep! The products in the Radisson are very nice and quite refreshing so early in the morning.........

Eventually I emerged ready to argue with the hotel hairdryer. This is one of those that you have to keep your finger on a button.....awkward, but saves me carrying my own dryer with us. I also had my UK straighteners so I did get that done too. I hoped they`d cool down before bag drop off.

Eventually though we were ready to go check out and head down to T2 where we were flying from. Virgin Atlantic don't do a twilight check in so we had to check in and take luggage with us this morning. We are plenty early. And there is no queue which is ideal.......we get our passports out and the ground crew ask if we would like to upgrade to Premium Economy......the seats are upstairs in the bubble of the Jumbo Jet.......or 747 as it`s more commonly known......I like to refer to it as a Jumbo.......I`m always amazed at the size of those things!

We ask her how much the upgrade is and she tells us for 2 it will be $700. I don't usually list costs, but folks were asking me about upgrades and this is what this flight cost to upgrade. We did have extra leg room seats which were exit row seats already paid for, but the cost of this was refunded, so we said yep absolutely........she did say they were good seats and she then reprinted our boarding cards and asked if we had been Premium before, we said yes we had and had enjoyed it......so now I was really looking forward even more to this flight.

We took our boarding cards, passport and went down to get bags weighed, we were well under our now enhanced weight for our suitcases.....we did have 23kg each (50lbs) we now had 32kg each (70lbs) and the ironic thing was we didn't really plan to do any shopping this trip.....well, not much anyway..........but we headed on up the steps to go through security checks......this is always fun......my boarding card never scans going through the automated gates, always have to get someone to help. Then we go through the fun of bag scan and usually shoes off.....but we again had pre approval check so didn't need to bring out ipads or take shoes off. I got through without the buzzer going off either.........that was a first, but Tom as usual got stopped for a pat down. Think it was his belt.

Bags collected, we headed down for breakfast. Breakfast was included in our room rate, but we can`t ever eat that early......so we stopped off at one of the many food options.....not the same one that gave me bread that I have an intolerance to in December. We had been in this place before and enjoyed it.......so we both ordered a bacon roll and big mug of tea......then another mug of tea......this would be our last tea till we came home again. It was lovely......plenty of bacon which we liked. We sat for a little while then headed through to the bright lights and heavily scented area of Duty Free.

I love Duty Free........I knew what I was after this time.......I wanted a limited Edition bottle of Jimmy Choo Blossom......it was quite difficult to find in our stores, and I was delighted when I saw they had it.......so I grabbed 2 bottles in case they didn't keep it going.....that's my thing usually....I think oh I`ll get some more next time, then it`s gone........so 2 it was and I also picked up some Bobby Brown make up.......then we wandered over to have a look at the brandies and stuff........and had this one woman try to convince us this brandy was really special and how marvelous it was.......she was talking to the wrong person.....Tom knows nice brandies.....and this one was rough. So she didn't get a sale.....

We then made the usual bathroom trip, stocked up on some goodies and waited till boarding started. Always like a picture of what I think is one of the nicest planes in the sky.......

i-s6RBZjJ-XL.jpg

Not the prettiest of days, but this is the type of weather I love to leave behind......dull and dreary........We sat on the rather uncomfortable seats and waited. It wasn't long at all and after special assistance and very young children, they called upper and premium..............it`s nice getting on first......although the plane isn't going anywhere till we are all on.......but as we hand over passports I get called for the full search.......hands swabbed, even the front of my dress and full bag search.......they are very nice though and not at all unfriendly.....I do joke with this lady I`m glad I'm not working with the stuff I used to work with anymore.......its been more than 20 years since I was in that industry........both Tom and I would be pulled aside every time!!!

But I get through and Tom is talking to another man who`s wife is also always checked.......we must look dodgy!

So on to the plane and we are greeted by a rather lovely member of CC who asks if we know where we are going.......oh yep!! So we climb the stairs and head down to the very front of the plane........the only person in front of us is the pilot. I love having no one in front of us....and there is plenty of room in these seats......much wider and more padding......generally a much nicer flight.

We load some things into the little cabinets beside us......saves getting up and down for bags to bring out little bits and bobs......and then we sit down........we are immediately offered a little glass of prosecco or orange juice......we both go for prosecco........

i-HDWFj9q-XL.jpg

We are very comfy..........especially with all the legroom........that's one reason we always get Extra leg room seats where we can.......we are both reasonably tall and hate being cramped.

i-K4dnvwR-XL.jpg

i-wd35SLL-XL.jpg

Everyone is on fairly quickly and soon they begin to push back......we get our hard fruity candy ready to have for take off as our ears can sometimes get pretty logged climbing to 40,000 feet........

It actually looks pretty nice outside now......I`d prefer it was raining.......but heyho.......we are heading to Florida.

i-QCTSHLw-XL.jpg

At 11.30am exactly we pull back from the gate........although this is given as take off time, we reckon we`ll be up in the air by midday exactly.......at this point I always think of Kyle.....he was actually using a day`s holiday and was having a day off today so I knew he`d be watching this on flight tracker........at this point I always wished he was with us........being so far away.......but I had to put that out of my mind and enjoy our trip.

We did indeed take off at midday after taxiing for what seemed like eternity..........the take off is always amazing.......and it makes me marvel at technology that a thing this size takes off......amazes me every time.......the roar and power of the engines as it trundles at speed along the runway is fantastic to hear and all of a sudden you feel yourself lifted with ease into the skies and I do glance out of the window at one point and see the land below disappear into tiny little fields of patchwork........the roads suddenly become melded into one big area together..........we begin to level off and we are up in the clouds now and can`t see anything but white out the window.........it is a little bumpy and the captain announces we are indeed going through turbulence which I never mind......but it`s unusual going out the way and so quickly.

However we soon come out of it and I can see we are over Ireland and heading out to sea. CC are already up and around and handing out sour cream and onion pretzel type things and I opt for white wine and Tom has a beer.

i-NhZ4j9m-XL.jpg

Drinks are complimentary on Virgin flights, and they do come around often to offer them.......but to be honest, I only have two on the flight and Tom has one beer as he is driving at the other end. He`d probably be fine with another but he just doesn't.

We bring out the tv screens and find something to watch among the hundreds of movies on offer. Virgin IFE is one of the best and there really is so much choice.......trouble is I`ve seen most of them.........but I settle down to watch The Hitman`s Bodyguard......I had assumed this was pure comedy......but not long into the film you see it really isn't.......but it does get funny in bits. Tom watches some Avenger or something or other movie........

Pretty soon the food comes around........PE food is usually better and you get real cutlery.......we always joke we pay a lot of money extra to get a real knife and fork.......but it is nicer. I go with a chicken and pesto dish and Tom chooses lasagna.....he always chooses the opposite in case I don't like mine and he always switches with me in that case........awwww.....he is so nice. Food is really good actually..........and we get another little bottle of wine......not the best, but very drinkable........

i-HRkhMmh-XL.jpg

i-9twx788-XL.jpg

I loved the tiny little bottle of lemon salad dressing they gave you........the dessert was rather nice too although I gave mine to Tom after one bit as it was far too sweet for me. But, it was a lovely meal considering it was just plane food.

When CC cleared the food away, I opted to go to sleep for a little bit if I could. these seats were incredibly comfortable and I had my pillow thing......so I looked behind me and the lady behind me had already fully reclined. I usually don't recline except on a night flight when everyone does, as I don't like taking someone else`s space, but with these seats we had loads of room......however, she saw me looking and said oh please recline all you want. I was grateful for her saying that, as maybe it was the two little bottles of wine but I felt tired now.

I pulled the blanket they gave us over me and refastened the seatbelt and eye mask on, noise cancelling headphones and pushed the seat back. As I drifted off the seatbelt sign came back on as we were hitting turbulence again.

I honestly can`t believe I slept all the way across the Atlantic.........and through some really bad turbulence........Tom was amazed I never moved once......but with being stretched out and feet on a pillow on the cabin storage unit, I was ultra comfy.......CC had come round offering after dinner cognac when there was little lull in turbulence and were amazed too I was out.

Eventually though a giant rumble woke me up.........I had slept almost 3 hours. Never before had I done that.........I had some water and went to the bathroom then tried to get back into the movie.......I struggled with it....watched the Skymap for a little while and was glad to see how far we had come and saw we only had just over 3 hours to go......the longest 3 hours.

i-CNGD3pG-XL.jpg

i-LRPv54N-XL.jpg

At this point I had brightened up and I was now ready to land........few miles to go yet.......so got back into this darn movie....I was determined to finish it.....and I watched another hour of it then CC came back around with afternoon tea.......this looked so nice too......

Chicken salad sandwiches, scone and clotted cream with jam and two little fancy miniature desserts.....one was Dutch cinnamon apple and the other was a chocolate one. And a mug of tea.

i-9jLpV42-XL.jpg

This was really nice too. We both couldn't finish the desserts but we did try them and they were nice. But afternoon tea over was a sign we were nearly there.

i-rKVwV9h-XL.jpg

At this point I finally finished the movie, and have to say the last hour was the best hour. Then I flicked through the new IT film......not for me.....clowns don't scare me and I`m not the biggest Stephen King fan anyway.....except, The Green Mile and The Stand.......but IT was not great........to me.

The Captain then announces we are not far from starting our descent so time for washrooms.......as we are close to the front we make it first.......then back in seats with seatbelts on and await our imminent landing. Looks like we will be landing 45 minutes early at 4.10pm. Not bad at all.

i-XnZwLbf-XL.jpg

i-5z7932R-XL.jpg

We do have a good landing and head towards the terminal building.....I glance and see we have beaten the other 3 jumbo`s which means immigration shouldn't be too bad........

We get off quickly and thank CC for taking such good care of us and head down to go to the machines first where our passports go in, there is no queue at all......then through to speak to an immigration officer and he asks us the usual questions. What is the purpose of our trip, how long are we staying and do we have any food. We fill in a form on the plane and have to declare any food.......we always bring chocolate for staff as they adore it......sometimes one officer will make us go through secondary checks for food, but most just stamp the card and passports and we go collect luggage.

Being Premium our luggage is among the first off and it is. We wait less than 5 minutes and ours are almost first off.

We get our cases and then head to get the monorail......love doing it this way.......and it looks lovely and sunny as we emerge into the short journey to the main airport.......this is always so much fun and very exciting, even after all these trips........this is the quietest we have seen the monorail, even in September.......we get out and head down towards the lower levels to pick up our rental car. This either goes well or is a nightmare.

We have booked with Alamo for years........and we have our documents to say we don't need this that or the other......we are covered for everything.....but sometimes they try and tell you that you need something you don't........extra insurance for this or that or some even tell you that you aren't properly covered.......and this guy actually does exactly that. We tell him we have hired enough cars to know we are well covered but if he would like to call his boss over we can sort it out.......he then suddenly notices something........hmmmm. It`s annoying, as I`m sure some first time travelers to The States will be talked into some of these things. But we head out over to the garage and take in our first gulp of Orlando air......and not bus fumes today........

It is decidedly chillier than we are used to........it is now almost 6pm and I wish I had a top over my dress. But, it`s not really that cold.......

We get to Alamo and there is a note on our account for us to get a free satnav......after December the manager told us we would get an upgrade if available this time as we had no washer fluid in the car they gave us.....but there was none available so satnav it was. We really didn't need one, but we may use it anyway. We choose a deep red Jeep Grand Cherokee.........it`s ok. It`ll get us from A-B.

We head out of the airport and begin the very familiar journey to our home from home. We always turn off at Universal Boulevard.......this way we pass the Convention Centre and then the Orlando Eye.......how much do we love the feeling of everything being so welcoming and yes, familiar.

My camera was in the trunk so I don't get any pictures of all the landmarks we look out for......The Eye then Dr Doom, Sapphire Falls and RPR......and as we turn into Hollywood Way I see The Hulk and the sign for RP....now we`re home........

We go straight to the parking lot and walk up to the hotel......some drop their luggage and come back, but we always do this......creatures of habit......and we love that walk up to the entrance........we are immediately greeted by Valet and bellhops asking if we need help and one of the guys immediately says hey I know you guys......you were just here.......lol......first person we see........we smile and say yep we were here in December......he helps us in with our cases and we go for the first time in 3 months through the sliding doors into the vast lobby of RPR and that beautiful aroma........they should sell that scent as a room freshener.

We go over to the desk and Abby welcomes us today.......we have never met her before, but she checks our profile and calls our friends assistant to come out and say hi........she comes out immediately and gives us the biggest hug........lovely girl we just met in December too. She tell us our friend is gone till Tuesday but we`ll see him then......so we carry on with check in after thanking her for coming out to welcome us.......Abby goes though a few things with us and then hands us our package. She also tells us one of the front desk agents we have known for a long time was gutted to not be here to check us in.....he left a message to tell us he was in at 10am next morning, we would definitely look out for him, such a lovely guy.......And we head for the elevators but not before being stopped by Samuel who gives us the biggest hug......he is the concierge supervisor we know well. He says he`s running to do something but will see us soon. Another ex club lounge staff member Jordan comes over to say hi too.......another lovely girl we`ve known for a while.......it`s a little like a family reunion tonight........

So up to our room and drop cases off.........we love this room and it`s always arranged for us to get it now.

i-4wT6C2t-XL.jpg

i-M7N43FM-XL.jpg

i-k59xJ97-XL.jpg

i-zWRmTZV-XL.jpg

We had a quick freshen up and went downstairs again to get a safety deposit box behind the front desk.........this takes minutes. Yes there is a safe in the room, but for passports and other stuff we prefer the security of a full box.......

We then head up to the Club Lounge to see Sam......it`s now around 7.15pm and we know it`ll be quiet.......and it is.

We get another hug from Samuel and have a good old catch up......we`ll see him plenty during our stay. Super nice guy, very genuine and so much fun......he loves rocket launches and all things space too, so when we had Kyle with us we had some good chats. A few more people come in so we tell him we`ll see him tomorrow and then we head down to Jake`s for a cocktail and some food.........Samuel recommended we try the crawfish chowder, he didn't really like seafood but loved this.

We love Jake`s American Bar.........on the ground level fairly near the pool and it can be really quiet or really busy......tonight it was fairly quiet.........we got seated immediately and our waiter was Pong from our December trip........

We immediately ordered a Royal Pacific Sunset in the volcano bowl..........we like this cocktail.........and the little flame in the middle is cute........

i-3QMGpcz-XL.jpg

i-r6Np7xT-XL.jpg

This was a nice first drink of this trip at RPR..........

To be honest we aren't dreadfully hungry.......but we are so keen to try so many things.........and the aroma of food in the restaurant soon starts to make us hungry.........it`s 8pm which is really midnight to us......but we feel ok at this point.....although I have had 3 hours sleep.........

Pong asks if we`re ready to order and we can`t make up our mind so we order 3 things.......we ask for the crawfish chowder and can we have 2 spoons......the spicy buffalo wings and the prosciutto flatbread........we can pick at what we want........

Pong actually splits the chowder into two bowls which was so thoughtful.....and we just shared everything........

i-2b7nWWs-XL.jpg

i-FDv4Kxs-XL.jpg

i-JT7XnmW-XL.jpg

There was far too much food.......but we loved it. We devoured the chowder and it was indeed gorgeous.....we would have to thank Sam as I'm not sure I would have ordered it otherwise........we made a good dent in the wings which were indeed spicy......and we ate as much of the flatbread as we could....the peach puree with prosciutto is a beautiful mesh of flavours.........

But we were done. And we had loved it and now felt very much ready for sleep.......a good meal will do that!

We paid the check and headed off outside for a brief walk.......but it was fairly cool by now as it was almost 8.30pm........we had now been up for 20 hours. So as it was cool we decided to just head up to our room and unpack properly and jump in the shower. But first we went up to lounge for a coffee and a chat with whoever was there......

Turndown had been when we got to our room and there was a lovely welcome card in the room for us from a friend.........

Tom went in the shower first.....while I funnily enough did most of the unpacking........but he did help when he came out.......I was now struggling with tiredness, so shower it was and then climbed into bed and left the drapes open......I love watching the lights of Dr Doom at night and Hulk too.......and once again that was how I fell asleep after a long but lovely day.

Couldn't wait for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Woooo hoooo another trip report by Schumi!!!!!! Sorry I haven't written back in a while but i'm finally caught up (Whew!!)- took some notes from your NY trip (loved the hotel). Always find your reports a great read.

Love reading your pre-flight details/hotel stay. Your pictures are amazing!!!

YAY....you made it........:welcome: to another little trip report.........

Nice to have you read along again........always lovely to see you........I hope you like this one too.........I keep planning on being brief, but it never works out......I guess I`m just a talker.........::yes::

Thank you for the nice comments........and glad you enjoyed the NY portion.......

:wave2:

That is so true........my husband does love his wine........mind you so do I.
One of these days I am going to be there at the same time and get to finally have wine with you and Tom! Maybe I will take the kid to Orlando for her drop off and sneak away...hmmm...and a voodoo doughnut?

we didn't really plan to do any shopping this trip.....well, not much anyway.
With all that extra weight allowance?? :rotfl:

I had to restrain from shopping on our quick march trip to WDW-there was literally no extra space-but we were trying to go super budget on flight (DD paid for flights as her treat)

Took me a couple days to finally meander over here! But all set up to read along now.:wave:

One of these days I am going to be there at the same time and get to finally have wine with you and Tom! Maybe I will take the kid to Orlando for her drop off and sneak away...hmmm...and a voodoo doughnut?

With all that extra weight allowance?? :rotfl:

I had to restrain from shopping on our quick march trip to WDW-there was literally no extra space-but we were trying to go super budget on flight (DD paid for flights as her treat)

Took me a couple days to finally meander over here! But all set up to read along now.:wave:

:welcome: MonyK.........

Always fabulous to see you.......glad you’re here........

Oh that would be fabulous!! Voodoo donut then wine.......or vice Versa........we’re easy........:D

We usually shop a lot, but since this is our 3rd visit in 6 months, we found we didn’t need anything.......of course I may have bought something........:rolleyes1 oh yes lack of space does limit your buying.......I’m sure you can make up for it next trip and beyond..........:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter