$100 bills, do you see them often, do you use them?

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
Just seems like in this age of declining cash use, I am seeing more and more people paying for groceries and gasoline with $100 bills.
Customer ahead of me at the gas station/mini market today tried to buy a $2 lighter with a $100 bill, the operator declined to take it, but the buy did have $2 in change. I asked the owner if that happens much, and he said he had accepted 30 $100 so far today, and that more customers are paying with larger bills, which has forced him to rethink is bank runs. I guess with gas at nearly $4 a gallon, more folks, especially with trucks and big SUVs are dropping over $100 on gas on a fill up.
Owner said he also suspects a lot of his customers have jobs, or side jobs, that pay in cash.

I don't use cash in my regular day to day life, but when we go to the beach in the summer, we do. I save money here and there all year long so that I have cash for the beach. I generally take my smaller bills I've saved to the bank before we go and cash them into $100s and $50s because I feel like I am more conscience of my spending when I have to break a $100 bill over just using a $20.

I write a check for cash every payday. It divides up into other savings deposits and cash ( other banks). If I don't ask for 20's, 100 dollar bills is all I'll get

Where I work our fees are in the hundreds so the people that pay cash mostly have $100 bills.
I have seen signs posted at some smaller stores/gas stations that say no large bills accepted.
I don't mind taking the large bills as our fees are in the hundreds. If I'm making a thousand dollar deposit, I would much rather have 10 $100 bills than 50 $20 bills, lol.

Interesting question. We're not big cash-users in everyday life and when we do, it has come from a bank machine which here only dispense $20s. We'd have to make a special trip into the bank to get $100 which we never do. Now when we're travelling and go in to get USD, they always want to give it in the largest bills possible. At some branches you will actually have to pre-order any quantity of small bills.

Interesting question. We're not big cash-users in everyday life and when we do, it has come from a bank machine which here only dispense $20s. We'd have to make a special trip into the bank to get $100 which we never do. Now when we're travelling and go in to get USD, they always want to give it in the largest bills possible. At some branches you will actually have to pre-order any quantity of small bills.
My bank's ATMs at bank branches dispense cash in 20s.
My bank's ATMs in the grocery stores dispense 100s. I complained but the bank said they do that so they don't have to restock the off site ATMs as often, and those needing smaller bills can ask the store to break the 100 for them.

seems like lots of places near us won't take them. i don't know if it's an issue with fraud or they don't want their cash drawer emptied by someone doing a small purchase.

i'm a big fan of $2 bills. our credit union has them on hand so we always stock up for vacations to use for tips (people seem to get a kick out of getting the identical tip they normally would but in the form of these).

My bank's ATMs in the grocery stores dispense 100s. I complained but the bank said they do that so they don't have to restock the off site ATMs as often, and those needing smaller bills can ask the store to break the 100 for them.
That seems ridiculous - there must be many people who at times, don't have $100 in their account.

the ones in the bank do 20's, the ones at the drive through do 20's & 50's, and the ones on campus at our local colleges 20's and 5's (i wish the others did 5's b/c i rarely use cash but like to carry a few 5's and a few 1's in my wallet).

When you use an ATM in Vegas, they give you 100 dollar bills, I hate it, Im more of 20 dollar bill guy

One time I won over $100 playing a slot machine. I took the voucher to the cashier and she said, "Do you want a $100 bill? Have you ever seen one?" I said, "Yes, I've seen lots of them and no, I don't want one." I would much rather have 20s so I can spend some, save some, deposit some, whatever. That much money tied up in one bill doesn't work for me. It can also be hard to find a business that will take them. A few months ago, my son and a friend were hired to sing at a birthday party for an 85-year old lady. They went to this really nice country club where the family had rented a private room. They each sang one song, then one duet. The host gave them each a 100 and a 50 dollar bill. He was living in the dorms on campus at the time and didn't have access to an ATM that would accept deposits. He couldn't find a place on campus that would break the bills for him, so he just kept them until he got home last week. He went to an ATM and deposited them into his account. He came home and said, "Hey mom! I don't need a savings account. I just need big bills that I can't spend!"

That seems ridiculous - there must be many people who at times, don't have $100 in their account.
If they don't have $100, they wouldn't be trying to withdraw $100 no matter what the denomination of the currency dispensed.

The only time I ever want $100 bills is when we give them as gifts, including our teenaged children. They hesitate to p*ss that much money away and tend to think about it before spending it. Less than that, it's gone in a week, spent on Slurpees and taco bell.

I never carry cash. I use my debit card for every single transaction, right down to a coffee or pack of gum. The areas I work in daily are not safe to carry cash, and nowadays, every cashier expects 95% of customers to use a card, so it's no big deal.

No, but they might be trying to withdraw the $40 they do have, which wouldn't be possible from a machine that only dispenses $100s.

He didn't say they only had 100s. I am assuming if people choose to withdraw an even hundred (or couple hundred) the machine will spit out hundred dollar bills, otherwise it will dispense 20s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter