100 Points Going Farther Than Expected

Chrisizzle

Mouseketeer
I just returned from my first DVC stay and am pleased to say I am getting more than expected from my modest 100 point contract at BLT.

My offer closed in May 2019 and I managed to book a 6-night studio stay for the January 2020 Marathon. I had to take a Lake View studio but that still fell comfortably at 106 points. I would have preferred to buy six single use points but had to borrow since I was taking advantage of the home resort booking window.

That would have met my immediate goals for DVC purchase. However, I had a 4-night hotel reservation at Caribbean Beach in late August 2019. I booked those during a 30% off promotion and it still rang in at $770. As the date approached, I poked around DVC and found an Old Key West studio available. I borrowed some more points and put that $770 towards the DVC investment.

If all goes to plan, I’ll have 10-nights of DVC goodness racked up within my first 12-months. I didn’t expect to get that much from it so quickly. I’ll have to slow down for my 2020 use year with only 42-points left, but that could still fuel an off-season, long weekend stay.

So, 100 points is indeed a reasonable amount if you can travel in the off season.

I'm glad it's working out well for you. When considering how much you are saving vs the Caribbean Beach stay, don't ignore that you are also paying $330 in dues for those 52 points. Still a much better deal, but something to think about as the annual dues payment date is coming up in just a few months.

Glad your 100 points has had so much value for you. We bought direct and closed in May 2019. We got 2018 and 2019 points. (August UY) Booked TWO studios at Beach Club Villas for 5 nights during Food and Wine AND a value studio at AKV Jambo for 5 nights for MAy 2020 and a Club level studio at AKV Jambo House (only 4 nights waitlisting for the last night) with 12 points left over (to use for whatever studio i add on to the CL sutdio. I think the value we got for our 100 point direct purchase was good. We have paid the 2019 dues from our vacation account and I hope we can add 150 or 160 points soon via resale. no regrets at buying direct first at all. We do need more points for a Grand Villa stay in our future.

Good to hear that you are getting a lot out of your membership. I have been in constant DVC debt since getting my first contract, too. I've added on twice, but still borrow - and then borrow some more. My heirs can sort it out.

I just returned from my first DVC stay and am pleased to say I am getting more than expected from my modest 100 point contract at BLT.

My offer closed in May 2019 and I managed to book a 6-night studio stay for the January 2020 Marathon. I had to take a Lake View studio but that still fell comfortably at 106 points. I would have preferred to buy six single use points but had to borrow since I was taking advantage of the home resort booking window.

That would have met my immediate goals for DVC purchase. However, I had a 4-night hotel reservation at Caribbean Beach in late August 2019. I booked those during a 30% off promotion and it still rang in at $770. As the date approached, I poked around DVC and found an Old Key West studio available. I borrowed some more points and put that $770 towards the DVC investment.

If all goes to plan, I’ll have 10-nights of DVC goodness racked up within my first 12-months. I didn’t expect to get that much from it so quickly. I’ll have to slow down for my 2020 use year with only 42-points left, but that could still fuel an off-season, long weekend stay.

So, 100 points is indeed a reasonable amount if you can travel in the off season.
Ahhh...but addonitis will strike next year. You'll borrow from 2021 because 42 points won't be enough. Then you'll start thinking about 2021, when even borrowing won't yield enough points for what you want. And "that perfect contract" will pop up on one of the resale sites and you'll get the itch. And before you know it, your 100-point contract will have a little brother.

Ahhh...but addonitis will strike next year. You'll borrow from 2021 because 42 points won't be enough. Then you'll start thinking about 2021, when even borrowing won't yield enough points for what you want. And "that perfect contract" will pop up on one of the resale sites and you'll get the itch. And before you know it, your 100-point contract will have a little brother.
👆🏻 THIS

And then the bill you get at the end of the year will be even more. The cure for addonitis.

We’ve owned 100 pts at AKV for 11 years now. Would I like more? Sure. Who wouldn’t?

But we’ve managed to make these 100 work for us quite well over the years. We take at least one trip pretty much every year and this year we had APs and managed 4 trips. It’s also the first time I’ve borrowed more than a handful of points. We’re going to skip 2020, but will be back in 2021.

We stay in a mix of one bedrooms and studios and have traveled at both low and high times including thanksgiving and spring break. We’ve stayed at AKV, OKW, BWV, BCV, BRV and VGF.

And most of all I love my maintenance fee bill which is a very reasonable amount - around $650 this year.

Years ago I was in a constant state of borrowing and I hated it!!! I was all even for a few years...but since we have 2 trips..Dec and Feb 2020...i only had to borrow a few points.....I waited to long and had to book a P/G ..pool/garden view for Boardwalk in Feb.....I wont make that mistake again as i usually !! book SV...standard view for much less points.....

I used to be on the Board of a condo. So
When considering how much you are saving vs the Caribbean Beach stay, don't ignore that you are also paying $330 in dues for those 52 points. Still a much better deal, but something to think about as the annual dues payment date is coming up in just a few months.

I don’t mind the annual dues. I used to be on the Board of Directors for a condo I lived in. I know Maintenance Fees cover legitimate operating expenses, whereas some people seem to think they are membership fees or some other profit mechanism.

And with that rationale, even more of a win... The $770 I didn’t spend at Beach Club covered my entire year’s Annual Dues :-)

We have 150, and with some thought to banking and borrowing, we have done just fine and have not added on.
Us as well. 150 points gets us a trip in August and then one in either April or November. But the tease is always there...lol.

same here we bought 100 point OKW contract that was loaded so we have been able to use it for a week trip each year and then bank the remaining to the next year. We have not and do not intend on adding on, and the maintenance fees are manageable and we have not had to borrow points either! Greatest deal we ever got!

I used to be on the Board of a condo. So

I don’t mind the annual dues. I used to be on the Board of Directors for a condo I lived in. I know Maintenance Fees cover legitimate operating expenses, whereas some people seem to think they are membership fees or some other profit mechanism.

And with that rationale, even more of a win... The $770 I didn’t spend at Beach Club covered my entire year’s Annual Dues :-)

With my buy in cost divided by the years I bought for, plus annual dues per year, I just call it about $10 per point per year. It's actually a touch less, but it's fun to say "I stayed at the Polynesian for $210 a night" acknowledging that it wasn't free but is still a great deal as long as I use it and enjoy it.

heres how my first year owning dvc has gone so far, with only 100 points

bought in late 2018 during a trip to WDW to i had 2018 points, but couldnt come back till 2019. Decided to do a big 2019 stay at our home resort, so we booked a 2 bedroom villa for a full week for 269 points. used up 2018, 2019, and 2/3 of 2020. wanted a GCV studio for one night, borrowed from 2020 again. I now have 7 remaining points left over for 2020. We booked a disney cruise for 2020, so I may borrow from 2021, just for one/two nights.

we are planning a big japan trip in 2023, so we will probably skip WDW that year, so I have some wiggle room when it comes to borrowing. not bad planning with only 100 points

My husband wants to use 75 points for an AKL Kidani Studio- Savannah View for New Years. We will also have to pay out of pocket for 2-3 extra nights at a moderate. I think we should have the 75 points for the first week of June when we can get more for it. For just over 100 we could get 6 nights- a combination of beach club and riviera. Doesn't blowing 75 points on a studio for three nights seem crazy when we only have 100 pts?

My husband wants to use 75 points for an AKL Kidani Studio- Savannah View for New Years. We will also have to pay out of pocket for 2-3 extra nights at a moderate. I think we should have the 75 points for the first week of June when we can get more for it. For just over 100 we could get 6 nights- a combination of beach club and riviera. Doesn't blowing 75 points on a studio for three nights seem crazy when we only have 100 pts?

To me it does, but to each their own. Why not wait until after the 1st, when the points per night requirement drops significantly?

This coming New Year? Is there even an AKV studio available for that night? That could settle the decision right now.

IMO, it’s not a crazy move if that’s how you wish to spend your points. Heck, I have under 100 points at AKV and I splurged on 3 nights in a club-level 1BR back in April using banked and borrowed points because, well...I wanted to. Was it a crazy use of points? Probably in the eyes the of a lot of people. But we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. For me, it was worth it and that’s all that really matters.

Thanks for sharing! That is a fantastic use of the points and congrats on being so savvy as a new member. It is amazing how far you can stretch points, when everything lines up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter