100+ to lose?

Sandy22

<font color=magenta>Adopting a Princess<br><font c
I'm fairly new around here and am wondering if there are others who have a substantial amount of weight to lose?

If so, any words of wisdom to share? It's so hard to start when the road ahead seems so long :guilty:

Sandy - you might want to check out Zera's Pride's journal on the WISH Journal - she has lost close to 100 lbs already and I know she's not done. Her journal is amazing - she is so inspiring and has worked so hard! Read through where she started from and where she is today and you'll see it is possible! ::yes:: For me I started out needing to lose 99 lbs and I lost 50 - gained a little over the holidays and I'm back on track. Take it day by day. Also maybe set a mini goal for yourself. Take each goal as 10 lbs instead of looking at needing to lose 100 which can be overwhelming. Best of luck - you will find so much support here at WISH and you can do this!!

My goal is 141 goals total... atleast. I have more I could lose but I'm setting that as my goal that I will be happy with. I started Friday, and already haved lost, get this 7 pounds as of last night! I'm on lo-carb. Goodluck to you and if you need a buddy I'm here.

Hiya and welcome to Wish. Since joing I have lost 65 pounds and would like to lose another 20 pounds to get to my ideal weight.

For me, making the goal realistic worked for me. I concentrated on losing 5 pounds at a time and as the weight started to come off I began to exercise too. I found that I love exercise and it really helps the scales to move in your favour.

Good luck.

Welcome to WISH, Sandy!

Like our wise WISHers have said, you don't really need to lose over 100 pounds. You just need to lose 5 pounds. Several times! :earboy2:

Seriously, that's the best advice. Set small, achievable goals. After all, every 5 pounds you lose means you're 5 pounds HEALTHIER! 5 pounds is actually a pretty good chunk- just pick up a 5 pound bag of sugar next time you're at the grocery store. Losing that is something to celebrate!

One thing that helped me a lot (I'm a WISHer, I lost 55 pounds with WISH support- I took my clippie out temporarily because I put a *little* bit back on, and I'm trying to figure out how much :blush: ) was finding a buddy who was at about the same point I was, with very similar goals. Having someone who understands your challenges and is working right along with you is a GREAT source of inspiration and support.

Kayeandjim00 has started a thread to help pair WISHers up with a buddy- that's a terrific idea!

You've found a great place to settle in for ideas, encouragement, advice, commiseration, and understanding as you head on this journey to feeling better and healthier and more energetic.

Just remember- we don't need to be perfect, we just need to be better!

Welcome Sandy.

When I started my goal was to lose about 140lbs. So, I'm about 1/2 way there. I am going to agree with the other and say breaking it up into smaller goals helps.

Second, I would also look at some goals that may not be lb. driven. For example, at my largest, there were several rollercoasters I was to large to fit into. As I have been losing weight, I can start riding rides I couldn't before. Right now, I am working towards getting down to about a 40" waist so I can fit into Millennium Force and Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio. Also, when I started I could walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded. I can now walk several miles or do several flights of stairs.

Third, Track your progress. Not just weight but also waist, hips chest, and other measurements. Sometimes, your weight may not move but these other measurments will be moving.

Fourth, find an eating plan you can live with long term(don't think of it as a short term diet). People are succeeding here on a wide variety of plans; Weight Watchers, Atkins, Southbeach, American Heart Association Heart Healthy, Dr. Phil, etc. You name it, someone here is probably not only trying it but also succeeding at it. Most any plan will work if you can stick with it most of the time over the long term.

Fifth, you don't need to be perfect. If something comes up and you don't get what you're supposed to or if you gain some weight along the way. Don't get overstressed. We have ALL done it. You need to get over it and get back on target as soon as possible. It is easy to let one setback to spiral into a major downfall.

Sixths, move. Find something physical that you enjoy doing. Even walking around the block can be good exercise. That what I do. I also starting playing paintball occationally last summer even before I started losing weight. Yes it probably looked funny seeing the 375lb man running (well actually jogging short distances then needed to stop and catch my breath) and trying to hide behind bunkers where however I move a different part was sticking out around the bunker. But I found I really enjoy it. I found ways to compensate for my size and now next summer, I will be an even better player because I am smaller and have better stamina.

Lastly, have fun. Try not to think of this as a chore you need to do. Try to think of it as something you enjoy doing because it is making a better you.

Well, this turned out being longer than I thought it would be. Hope something here helps you out. Good luck and I know you can do it.

Welcome. I to am fairly new and have 100 lbs to lose. I am doing WW points because I want to eat what I want and make the choices myself. I love it so far and am doing ok.

I joined WISH right before the holidays. I haven't spent much time on the boards because I've been so busy but it was always in the back of my mind and I'm happy to report that I went through the holidays without gaining an ounce.

That said, I have more than half of my current weight to lose and let's just say that my goal is not anywhere near being under 100 lbs, so yes, I know how you feel. I've been struggling for 3 or the last 4 years and have not been able to lose anything (playing with the same 5 lbs). It seems cruel and unfair that someone who has well over 100 lbs to lose can't even lose 5. I went to a bunch of doctors, all of whom told me I was crazy/lying to myself in various ways until I found one who was willing to refer me to an endocrinologist and I started thyroid medication and am feeling MUCH better, so I hope this is the boost I need.

A lot of people asked me how I managed to struggle for 3 long years without results and needing to lose so much. I just decided that even if I didn't lose the weight, at least I could be true to myself by eating healthy and exercising. Being healthy is not an all or nothing thing... not all thin people are healthy and not all people who are overweight are TOTALLY unhealthy. I learned to separate out "doing it for the scale" and "doing it to fit into a size 8" for "doing it for my health." I learned to relish other accomplishments, like being able to run up the stairs without getting out of breath and being able to walk faster and being able to do things that people do not think someone of my size should be up for doing. You will be able to feel those differences long before you can fit into a size 8 (or whatever your goal is!)

Now, I'm hoping now that I am on the right meds and that I will be able to actualy lose weight. The last year has been completely insane for me and I have let my exercise lapse. Even with the right meds, it will be a long and tough journey. I have to get myself back into the mindset of enjoying the PROCESS... sure, it will feel great to say I'm "at goal" but other things have to feel great too... the fact that I feel like I am in control of what I put in my mouth, the fact that I am exercising regularly. Losing 5 lbs sometimes feels like a drop in the bucket when you have so much to lose and it seems like it will take FOREVER to get to your goal, but at the same time I think about how quickly this last year has passed and feel like if I just put my nose to the grindstone and take it one day at a time, eventually a whole year will pass. If I can lose just 1 lb/week, that's 52 lbs gone! Heck, if I can lose 1/2 lb/week that will be 25 lbs and that's 20 lbs more than I've been able to lose the last 4 years. At various times in your journey, hold up the equivalent of what you've lost. Even a 5 lb bag of potatoes is a huge accomplishment! Lift one of those puppies and see if that feels like "nothing" (even though it can compared to 100 lbs or more).

I think all the advice you have been given is awesome. I almost don't want to post behind LisaF, her story is just so touching.

LisaF - I don't mean to thread jack but I hope you have the right meds and you are on the road to losing the weight you want. It has to be so frustrating to spend 3 years working at it and not seeing the results you know you should. :grouphug:

Okay, back to you Sandy. As the other posters have commented, it certain it possible to lose 100 pounds. I know it sounds daunting. It was so overwhelming for me that I almost didn't even get started. But I am living proof that it is possible! I have some pics on WISH if you do a search under my name or look for a post entitled "putting a face with the name" or something like that if you want to see my before and during photos. I almost can't believe I'm at the 100 pound mark a year after I started here at WISH but I am just 6.5 pounds from that wonderful number. I have gone from a size 26 jeans to a size 12 and even one pair of size 10 stretch jeans. I'm still a work in progress, but it's almost unreal for me to be where I am today. I can say without a doubt that but ISH has been so instrumental to my success. The people on this board will love you, encourage you, support you and give you a kick in the booty when you need it! This is one of the best places ever to get the encouragement you need to succeed.

As others have said, set smaller goals for yourself. I do the 10% weight loss thing myself and it's been fun tracking my progress. I started with then current weight, 282.5 pounds and took 10% off it which was 28 pounds. When I reached 254.5 I took the next 10% off which was 25 pounds and I just keep going. I'll reach my next 10% weight loss goal of 187 pounds in just 2 more pounds. Then I'll start my next one. The minigoals really help.

I have also learned to take this journey one day at a time. I don't focus on the big picture. It's too overwhelming to do that. If someone would have told me I'd spend 400+cheat free days when I started I wouldn't have believed them but I have. The secret: taking it one day at a time and not allowing myself to think about the challenges I'll face the next day.

Another thing that has helped me is not to think of the things I'm not allowing myself to eat (notice I didn't say foods I can't have, because of course I could have them if I really wanted them) but when I say I'm not allowing myself to eat certain foods, I'm in control and I like to feel that way. I try to focus on the delicious foods I can have and with low carbing there are lots of yummy foods I can enjoy so I can honestly say I've never felt deprived eating this way.

Exercise is so important as was mentioned by others. I love working out with the Firm (cardio and strength training) and now Cathe F.'s workouts too. I hardly ever take a rest day because I found a form of exercise that I truly enjoy doing. That's key.

Find an eating program that's right for you. That may seem simple but took me years of false starts and trying to do things other people's way before I found the low carb lifestyle and it works for me. I can definitely eat this way for the rest of my life.

Finally, come here often! Start a journal, get a buddy, join a challenge or two. Post, post, post!

We are all hear to support you and before you know it, it will be January 10, 2006 and we'll all be celebrating your one year anniversary on WISH and your 100 pound weight loss! It can happen. You can do it! I know you can!!! :love:

Thanks, Lisa. I don't want to hijack the thread either, but it has been really rough, especially when you go to doctors and they take one look at you and dismiss you as "fat cow, put down the donut and you'll be fine." I also had all of the symptoms of hypothyroid and basically felt like I was at death's doorstep all the time, but I can't believe how many supposed "professionals" dismissed me.

You are a true inspiration and if I can have half your success (or get to where you are in two years) I will be beyond thrilled. All of this marathon talk has made me want to go for the half marathon in 2007 too... I'm just afraid I won't lose enough by 2006 and I don't want to injure myself training (I know even thin people who overtrained and are sorry for it now needing knee surgery and all that). For right now I am just aiming for my first "10%" goal, with a total of 7 of them bringing me to my goal. I also need to take it easy on the exercise because too much also has the opposite effect on me and makes me gain weight (and not lose inches, my body thinks it is in distress because of how wacked out my metabolism is). I really hope between the meds, eating 5-6 small meals a day and taking it easy with working out (a half hour a day rather than 45-60 min 4-5 times a week) will be the key.

Sandy,

I'm with you. I have 120-130 to lose as of this morning. :guilty:

If there is enough maybe we should do a 100+ club. :flower:

:wave2: Hi I need to lose 100lbs. I don't have any words of wisdom to share but I just wanted to say good luck. It does seem like a long way to go but like others have said set yourself short term goals.

Everyone has been so encouraging and positive! I love the Dis :love:

Zoesmama03: I think a 100+ Club is a great idea. Maybe we should start a 100+ Journal for all of us to post to.

I'm going to start reading Zeraspride's log - I've already taken a peek at the before and after pictures - just amazing! Congratulations.
I've set my first mini goal - 50 pounds. That sounds so much more manageable than over 100 pounds. I've joined WW and I exercised today for the first time in months. I just turned on some dance music and "shook my groove thing" :cheer2: Much more fun than watching a exercise tape featuring a size zero supermodel.

I can't wait to keep posting and sharing our experiences. :grouphug:

Congratulations on finding WISH, Sandy! Everyone has shared some great advice, so I don't have too much more to add. I agree, the road is longer for some of us (I started at 296 with ~160 pounds to lose, although I'm still deciding what "goal" is for me), so I really found it helpful to focus on smaller goals. I set larger goals, of course - including reaching Onederland, 100 pounds gone, BMI below 30 (no longer "obese"). But I kept those in the background, and instead really focused on smaller goals, especially those WISH clippies every 5 pounds, and 10% weight loss goals. It still feels great to earn a new clippie!

Keeping a journal and checking in here on WISH also helped me quite a bit when I started. It allowed me to celebrate the big and little successes as they came along, and complain about problems with fellow WISHers who understood where I was coming from. I haven't been as faithful about keeping up my journal lately, :guilty: but it's still around if you'd like to take a gander: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=450372

As ZerasPride and others have mentioned, taking it one day at a time helps a lot as well. Focus on making good choices with food and exercise today, and let tomorrow take care of itself. Make a daily commitment to yourself to make the best choices you can, but forgive mistakes that are bound to come along the journey (I'm still working on this one). Schedule exercise into your day, and make it a daily habit. Set yourself up for success each day by planning your meals ahead of time and having the healthy ingredients on hand.

Most of all, live like the healthy person you want to become - and you WILL become that person. I didn't believe it at first, but it has actually happened for me - and I KNOW it can happen for you! Best wishes for a successful journey to a healthier you!

Hi, Sandy! I'm very new here, but just wanted to add a little encouragement to what has already been said. I lost 130 pounds on WW, and reached lifetime just over a month ago. YOU CAN DO IT, TOO!!!! :D It doesn't matter what plan you choose, but find one you can live with forever - it's a lifestyle change, not a diet! Also, find some success every day - whether it's that you ate well, watched your portions, drank lots of water, stopped a binge before you ate the whole house... :blush: Don't allow yourself to see failure - it's just one step at a time, and there is something successful about each day. I can't begin to tell you how my life has changed - not simply because of losing weight, but because I no longer have to worry with certain health issues, I enjoy playing with my son, I like who I am now, and I finally came to peace with many issues that caused me to overeat. It has been an amazing journey! Utilize every resource you can - books, friends, message boards, etc. You deserve this, and you can do it! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter