• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

100th day of school costume

skw444

DIS Veteran
Any ideas of some kind of outfit/costume for the 100th day of school? My dd's school is doing a contest and we need some ideas of neat outfits.

Why in the world do schools have contests like this? Not everyone has time, money or energy to make costumes for contests. We've had to scramble for "wax museum" costumes, "world fair" costumes, famous person costume and others. Just another thing for the parents to compete.

I truly can not believe that there is another place out there that tortures these kids with the 100 day project.

get the teachers and the school back and make a "BELL" shirt. 100 different bells on the clothes find what you have around the house and little project bells at micheals. Since you are in georgia the scrapbooking capital of the world I am sure there are so many mini bells out there.

I get to look foward to that this upcoming year up here in NJ. My kids are going to enter into the school system, I remember the project from when I was a kid. so funny.:lmao:

These are the things you remember about school though, hey?
Do you remember your math book? Do you remember what you learned in science in third grade?
Probably not. But, you remember these things. These are the memories kids have of school. You may not like it or the time you must put into it but, this is the fun of learning.
Too many parents forget that this is the perfect opportunity to spend time with your kid. If it is a contest, it is because you make it one. Enjoy the quality time and cherish the memory. Many moms don't have this time anymore and would do anything to have it back.
Sorry...had to give my 2cents.

As a teacher I hate this project myself :) I agree it's too much for people to do in their busy lives.

But if it must be done....Take an old or plain sweatshirt, get fabric paint and a circle paint sponge. Make 100 dots all over it. If you want to really be creative make 100 mouse ears! I've done this myself for school and it's something your daughter can actually help you with since that is the point.
ENJOY :)

For DS, we hot glued 100 googly eyes (picked up at the $1 store so maybe $5 max) to an older t-shirt. The shirt got put into his "remember when" box with various art projects and papers in the attic.

For DD, she brought in 100 temporary tattoos to pass out to her friends and 100 strawberries for snack that day to share with the class.

Neither one had to wear the 100 count item ~ 1 chose to while the other did not. There were several other inexpensive items we could have chosen using the $1 store craft area - silk flowers, pom poms, stickers, etc.

Ours has to be on poster board and it has to be ten groups of ten, not just 100 items.

But I would got to the craft store and get what your DD likes and start gluing with fabric glue.

I have seen the jingle bell shirt for a Letter People parade, it was very cute, another child had R for rainbows and the mom glued many rainbow ribbons to his shirt.

One year I took a cheap white t-shirt and glued on 100 pennies! I used my hot glue gun, it was so easy.

Does it need to have 100 things on it?
If not, what about an Olympic track costume? The number pinned to her back could be 100 and she could wear a medal saying she won the 100 yard dash?

We did the 100 googly eyes too! Different sizes all over. He told his teacher that now he has 102 eyes on her instead of just two.

I'm not sure what the "rules" are for your contest, but if the costume doesn't have to have 100 things maybe you could do something different. I saw in the newspaper last year, that a school in our area had the kids dress up like people who were 100 years old! The pictures were so cute of those kids dressed like old people. Some of them had glasses on the tips of their noses, their hair was spray painted gray, they had canes, etc.

We took a white shirt and drew 100 shapes with markers. We didn't worry about getting fabric markers or anything, just whatever we had. I got the shirt at a bag sale for less than $1. After she wore it I washed it and most of it washed out but not all. I threw it in a drawer for a paint shirt.

I think my other DD made a bead necklace with 100 beads.

I'm not sure what the "rules" are for your contest, but if the costume doesn't have to have 100 things maybe you could do something different. I saw in the newspaper last year, that a school in our area had the kids dress up like people who were 100 years old! The pictures were so cute of those kids dressed like old people. Some of them had glasses on the tips of their noses, their hair was spray painted gray, they had canes, etc.

This is what DD's kindergarten class did. On the 100th day of school, they all dressed like they were 100 years old. It was SO cute to see the kids with curled gray hair, glasses, canes, and so many more accessories.

In 1st grade, they celebrated the 50th day of school by dressing in 50's attire. Most of the girls had on poodle skirts and ponytails tied with scarves in their hair. The boys came in jeans and white tshirts with slicked back hair.

These are some of my favorite memories of school for DD even though it did require some work on the front end. :goodvibes

Last year my son's class did the shirts together. Instead of putting 100 things on it they used it as a math lesson. They had to use fabric markers to decorate their shirts in things that would make 100. My son drew 4 quarters, 10+10+10,etc, 5x2, picture of a dollar bill. You get the picture.

I so appreciated a 100th day that did not involve me! His teacher made it educational. They also made fruit loop necklaces with 100 fruit loops. "100" masks where your eyes looked through the zeros.

Our kindergarteners all dressed like they were 100 years old. It was adorable! The kindergarten teachers had canes, walkers, baby powder in their hair...it was awesome!

The kids also each brought in 100 of something that would go into a trail mix type snack. Then the teachers put them into muffin tins (I think!) and the kids all filled up a bag of snack mix! It was cute...fruit loops of course, chocolate chips, chips, cereal, candy, etc.

Actually, thinking about it now...I think the kids all brought in a box of snack, and counted out 100 with gloves on? That way they didn't have to worry about germs...

For DS, we hot glued 100 googly eyes (picked up at the $1 store so maybe $5 max) to an older t-shirt. The shirt got put into his "remember when" box with various art projects and papers in the attic.

For DD, she brought in 100 temporary tattoos to pass out to her friends and 100 strawberries for snack that day to share with the class.

Neither one had to wear the 100 count item ~ 1 chose to while the other did not. There were several other inexpensive items we could have chosen using the $1 store craft area - silk flowers, pom poms, stickers, etc.

Thanks for the idea about the googly eyes. DS5 has to do a poster of 100 items. I am going to have him draw an alien and then glue the eyes to the monster.

DS6 last year drew a picnic table and we bought ant stickers and food item stickers. He made it look as if the ants were carrying the food away. He put 100 ants in a line going into an ant hill. It was very cute. Hope this idea sparks some imagination for someone else.

Thanks for all the replies! I read all the posts to my dd and she wants to either do the bells or the googly eyes. So, we're off to the store today to see what we can find.

When DD was in kindergarten we had to do shirts with 100 of anything on them. We bought those pretty gems at the hobby store and glued them into a big 100 on the front. Very cute and girly.

Another girl did 100 tiny bows made into a 100. That was cute.

In first grade they were given paper hats and we had to put 100 items on. We did sparkly pom poms.

You could also do 100 felt hearts since it's close to Valentine's Day.

If you haven't gone to the store already, you might go to a craft store and let her wander around with you looking for ideas. She might see something that she really loves!

DS is in kindergarten this year. I don't know details about our 100 day project yet! I guess I should start preparing!

Angie

what about 100 suckers taped or hot glued (glue the stick) on a shirt.... then they could pull them off and share with the class!!!!

I wanted to share what my dd ended up deciding on. She actually wanted to put 100 ponytails in her hair, but I changed it up a little and put 100 ponytail holders in her hair. She also made a necklace with 100 fruit loops and we hot glued 100 beads to her shirt in the shape of the number 100. Here's the finished hair product:
DSCN0682.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter