• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

10th Anniversary trip - Need some suggestions

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
I am in the early throes of trying to plan a 10th anniversary (seems like 100!) trip in October/November. It won't be to WDW or DL because we are going to OKW in early December.

The trip will be a short one, 3-5 days. It will be long-suffering DW, myself, and DD3goingon23. We could leave Girlie with Grandma, but we'd have to have a SWAT team come get her back, 'cause there's no way Grandma would give her up.

We've talked about
  1. Somewhere in the Caribbean (we live in Miami)
  2. Niagra Falls/Canada
  3. Da Bahamas, specifically Freeport
  4. Bermuda (but, in October/November?)
  5. and, I've also considered San Antonio
  6. Puerto Rico???
Anyone got any suggestions? Aruba is out (pesky murderers), as is Monserrat (not there anymore), Grand Cayman is, you know, flat and ...zzzzz, although Girlie would LOVE Stingray City. San Francisco is my favorite city in the whole, wide world, but we've been there twice recently.

I should also tell you that DW is a fearful flyer, plus it's a short trip, so we don't want to travel huge distances or do a bunch of ups and downs. (Although I can usually lie to her and convince her she'll be fine.) Time is the bigger consideration. For a short trip, we don't want to spend half of it on an airplane.

We'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

Let me say thanks once again for all of the information you've provided in your posts. You're part of the reason we've become DVC members. Based on what I've read from you - why in the world would you solicit opinions here? :confused3
But since you did . . . we live in upstate NY and see that it's the only "cold" location you are considering. BTW it's Niagara Falls and after about 5 minutes, you've seen it (although some nights they have fireworks that are cool.) If you've never been there I guess it's worth considering.
After a long winter there's nothing like the stingrays at Cayman or the beach at St. Kitts. Best of luck with your decision and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! :cheer2:
P.S. There's nothing like Beauty and the Beast on Broadway and the view from the top of the Empire State Building if you've never been to the Big Apple!

Have you thought about the NC Mountains? Fall is really pretty with the leaves changing color....the peak is early October.

Asheville is a very beautiful area. And of course, if you go, you have to visit Biltmore. You could stay at the Inn on the Biltmore Estate, Grove Park Inn, Richmond Hill Inn or any of a numer of B&B's. We stayed at the Balsam Mountain Inn last summer. The rooms had no AC, TV or Phones....that was all right by me.

Asheville has a fairly small Airport. About the closest major Airport would be in Knoxville.

Since NY is on the list, how about a weekend in NYC, without the girly girl? You can pack a LOT into a weekend in NYC and the weather would be great that time of year.

We have talked about both NC and NYC, but I think our main focus right now is on the places I mentioned.

Another possibility would be Breckenridge, CO.

What we'd really like is some feedback on places in the Caribbean [for example, I've been told that Puerto Rico is a) really beautiful, and b) really horrible], San Antonio, and Bermuda. Or Breck - we went there a few years ago and loved it, but I know from looking at their website that a lot has changed since we were there.

We've been to Cozumel and Cancun and aren't really interested in Mexico for this trip.

My first pick is Aruba for the following reasons. We think it is as good as Hawaii but much easier to get to for east coast US, it is out of the storm tracks, it has a beautiful Marriott resort, golf, diving, great restaurants.

Second would be Curacao. Beautiful island adjacent to Aruba. The "C" in the ABC islands. We were there this May for a day on the DCL Panama Canal cruise. Would like to visit again sometime with a bit more time.

Third would be St. Thomas or St Kitts or San Juan. Mostly because of the location and time of year -- you are in the storm track.

All of the islands are a mixture of incredible beauty and intense poverty. They all offer history, interesting cultures, great food, and plenty of recreation to occupy varied interests. I have clients in San Juan and have enjoyed my stays there. The rest of the island is worth a tour.

Congratulations on your 10th!

I was thinking about "the Bermuda triangle", this would give you the opportunity to combine your "investigative skills" and your "weatherman skills". :umbrella: NAW!! No fun for the wife & daughter. :scared1:

I'll keep thinking about it! :scratchin

Tom :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter