10yo Old With a Broken Ankle - What To Do

MikeWazowski

DIS Veteran
4 Days ago my niece broke her ankle and will be in a hard cast. Our trip is 2 weeks from now and she will still have it on. What exactly should we expect? I guess we will have to get a wheelchair each day. She is going to still want to do everything we usually do. So we just need a few tips to do so. Thanks

If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you will find information about the various ways to get a wheelchair. One is at the parks, but that means she would have a wheelchair available only at the parks. The resorts are very large and she would be more comfortable, even if it's a walking cat, to have a wheelchair available all the time. So, I'd suggest they look into renting from one of the off-site places for her or even into renting a wheelchair in their home area and taking it with. That way, they will have one when/where they need it and should be able to get one that is an appropriate size for her. Also, with a broken ankle, she may need to elevate her foot sometimes to help with swelling. The park wheelchairs don't have elevating footrests, but you should be able to get one from the off-site places. If she has crutches, you should be able to request crutch holders from the off-site places.
If they are traveling by air, you can gate check a wheelchair (see this thread ) at no additional charge and it doesn't count against the baggage allowance.

The FAQs thread also has a link (I think it's in the 3rd post) that takes you to the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities. That will tell you which rides/attractions she can stay in the wheelchair if she wants. All the Fastpass lines are wheelchair accessible and most of the other lines are also wheelchair accessible.
You might hear from friends or relatives that people using wheelchairs get to go to the front of lines. That is not correct - since most of the lines are accessible, she will be waiting in the same lines with everyone else moost of the time. In fact, there is sometimes an additional wait if a wheelchair accessible car is needed for someone who can't get out of their wheelchair.

Disney won't forbid her to ride anything - there are warnings for some rides that suggest people with certain conditions not ride (like back, neck injuries, heart problems or pregnancy). It will be up to her family though to decide what might be too rough. Some rides, like Splash Mountain for example, require ride boarding that is awkward or may be difficult. The CMs can't help, other than steadying a wheelchair, moving it out of the way, or simple things like that. Her family will probably need to help her in and out of some rides.
If you have questions about specific rides you know she wants to go on, just post them.

When my son was in a cast (he wasn't allowed any pressure on the cast), I rented a wheelchair from a medical supply shop for the week were at WDW. I'm so glad I did. He had crutches with him, to make it easier on him to unload from the wheel chair. The 1st day he used the crutches too much and ended up with horrible sores under his arm pits.

Word of warning for the person pushing the wheel chair. The monorail ramp at the TTC is very steep. DH had a hard time pushing him up the ramp and keeping him from flying down the ramp. There was no way I could have pushed him on those ramps. He weighs more than me.

Have the person who is going to remove the cast draw a line (with a Sharpie) where the cast will be cut. Then carry several Sharpies with you. Have the characters autograph the cast, telling them to be sure to not cross the drawn line. When the cast is finally removed she will have a very unusual souvenier of her WDW trip.

I've seen posts where you can get a platic covering for casts so you can still go swimming. I don't know where to get them, but if your niece wants to swim, she might be able to with these covers.
Since she has a broken ankle, depending on how much weight she is allowed to have , or not have, swimming might not be a good idea, especially if she is in a lot of pain, or if it hurts if someone bumps her.

I'd call the Orthopedic office, or a PT or rehab place if it looks like something for her to try.

http://www.waterproof-cast-cover.com/ is one i saw online.

I'd recommend going with an offsite wheel chair rental. Maybe you'll be able to get a child size chair. An appropreiate size chair will make her day more comfortable, as the arm rests of an adult are probably to high.
Also, if she needs to keep the leg elavated. Walker has the wheelchair legs, that can raise. Last time i needed one, it was an additional $10 charge per side that needed to be raised. It was a flat fee on top of the regular rental charge. You need to note that at time of reservation, they only put the raisable legs on when requested.

Connie

Cheshire Figment said:
Have the person who is going to remove the cast draw a line (with a Sharpie) where the cast will be cut. Then carry several Sharpies with you. Have the characters autograph the cast, telling them to be sure to not cross the drawn line. When the cast is finally removed she will have a very unusual souvenier of her WDW trip.

We took of picture of DS's cast after the characters signed. I'm so glad we did that. We kept that as a souvenier because 'til the cast came off, it smelled really nasty from sweat.

lovethattink said:
The 1st day he used the crutches too much and ended up with horrible sores under his arm pits. .
Wheelchair: I strongly recommend for anyone on crutches or with a cast.

Swimming and water slides: I strongly do not recommend for anyone with a cast. Too great a chance of the plastic bag springing a leak.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

lovethattink said:
We took of picture of DS's cast after the characters signed. I'm so glad we did that. We kept that as a souvenier because 'til the cast came off, it smelled really nasty from sweat.
OT: As far as having to endure a sponge bath under a body cast, the doctor has first say, the wearer has second say, and bystanders/coworkers/classmates/relatives have no say.

zumbergc said:
I've seen posts where you can get a platic covering for casts so you can still go swimming. I don't know where to get them, but if your niece wants to swim, she might be able to with these covers.
Since she has a broken ankle, depending on how much weight she is allowed to have , or not have, swimming might not be a good idea, especially if she is in a lot of pain, or if it hurts if someone bumps her.

I'd call the Orthopedic office, or a PT or rehab place if it looks like something for her to try.

http://www.waterproof-cast-cover.com/ is one i saw online.

I'd recommend going with an offsite wheel chair rental. Maybe you'll be able to get a child size chair. An appropreiate size chair will make her day more comfortable, as the arm rests of an adult are probably to high.
Also, if she needs to keep the leg elavated. Walker has the wheelchair legs, that can raise. Last time i needed one, it was an additional $10 charge per side that needed to be raised. It was a flat fee on top of the regular rental charge. You need to note that at time of reservation, they only put the raisable legs on when requested.

Connie

DS just got out of a wrist cast, he fractured his growth plate and badly bruised a bone 2 weeks before summer camp! :earseek: The lady putting on the cast sent us to a new medical supply place 10 minutes from my house. For 30 bucks we got a great cast cover that he used all the time. It is a blue rubbery kind of thing with a pump, like they use for blood pressure, that is used to take the air out of the cover and seal it. Someone had to put it in for him as they are snug, but he could do the pump by himself and called himself swamp thing, lol! Water does not get in unless they pull at the top and break the seal, but you could see this if it happened because it goes back to looking like a huge mitten. BTW this never happened. I know they have leg ones too because she showed us. If you need any help I can PM you information, they will ship. Good luck. :wizard:

I don't think it wuld be allowed to go down any of the water slides with a cast, but as long as you have a cast cover that keeps the water out and it is Ok with the doctor, you should be able to go in pools. Some casts are actually made of fibergalss so they can get wet. For the more "tradional" casts, the concerns are getting the padding (which is just cotton) wet and affecting the integrity of the cast by getting the plaster on the outside of the cast wet.

way better than the cast cover is the new goretex casting material. It costs extra, it was $30 not paid by insurance for my sons arm cast. It is put on at the orthopedics office. It is 100% waterproof, you can swim, take a shower, everything!!! it is awesome. We were at a hotel and he swam multiple times every day. You just have to flush it out with clean water after every swim. It dries itself, very quickly. It is awesome, I would get this kind of cast even if I didn't have a vacation planned just for the shower conveinance.

The only problem with the Gortex ones is that sometimes the skin underneath can become raw and infections can set in. DS had one os these back about 9 years ago when he broke his arm and was casted from 2 weeks prior to the end of school until the beg. of the following Sept. :earseek: When I inquired about one for DS, they told me they have them but do not encourage them and make parents sign a waiver because of the possibility of irritation. Also the fiberglass ones, DS had one, are not waterproof. They do have to put cotton underneath still for comfort. I too thought that fiberglass was waterproof but around here anyhow they are not. I would investigate all of the options thoroughly and see what is best for your child.

I can only speak for my own experience. My son had a broken arm, he was in his cast for 5 1/2 weeks only. He had the new gortex cast, it did not require any additional paperwork or any type of waiver. They never mentioned anything about any complications with using the cast. He swam from the 2nd day he had it on. He showered with it every day. He had absolutely no problems and no issues with skin integrity. Also my niece broke the heel of her foot. She was cast for 8 weeks and also had the goretex cast (believe it or not she went tubing with it on, my sisters decision not mine). She had to have her cast replaced twice because she ruined the bottom of it by not wearing the protector (because it was a leg cast), I think the protector was a cast shoe. She also had no issues with skin integrity or infection. Just an FYI from someone who has recent experience. Oh yeah, my sons break was December 04.

hi,

i work at a childrens hospital, and they use the gortex alot (not all the time) especially if swimming is an issue. one tip thought is to use a blow dryer on the cool setting to dry out the cast. kids have had some skin issues if they were in humid climates where it took a really long time to dry. or if a child is already know to have really sensitive skin, somtimes they wont use it. fiberglass casts are waterproof, its the lining underneath that is not unless its gortex.
i would recommend renting a wheelchair at home. call your insurance company and ask where you can rent durable medical equipment from. sometimes if your doctor would write a Rx for a wheelchair, it would be covered. Unless reallly necessary, i would steer away from elevating leg rests as they are very bulky and make the chair more awkward and heavy. sometimes if you rent from a company, then you could ask for a "lightweight" chair in a pediatric size.

:earsgirl:

Hello :wave:
My daughter is 10 and broke her ankle a few months ago playing a very competitive game of.....hopscotch. :rolleyes: In her defense, she had on those chunky dress shoes (which we have since retired!). Anyways, she really wasn't in any pain after about a week of having the cast on so we didn't really have to keep it elevated. I agree with the wheelchair idea. It was unbelievable to see how wheel-chair accessible places were. And she always seemed to get a little extra attention. I also agree with talking to the orthopedic dr that's treating her. Sending some pixie dust your way :wizard:

I just returned from WDW I shattered my ankle and leg in Nov 04 and am still in a boot and had to use a wheel chair. I must say EVERYONE of the Castmembers was wonderful-the public is another story. Anyway-I have had 2 kinds of walking boots a hard cast and gortex cast-call your Dr and get the goretex-it is lighter, more comfortable and much easier to live with as you can shower normally and swim. I can't imagine a Dr that would put a regular cast on a kid in the summer. (I am an ER nurse)
Rent a wheelchair at home if you are flying-it can be a long walk to the gate of the plane and they will treat it like a stroller and check it just before you get on the plane. GOOD LUCK and pixie dust.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter