• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

11 month old on rides ??

jennib5426

DIS Veteran
I know our 11 month old can ride many rides at WDW, I am told rides without height restrictions are all doable. How do most parents hold there babies on rides?
In your lap or can you keep them in a back pack while on a ride?
How do we handle lap bars on rides with a baby?
We are excited to take him on Peter Pan, Dumbo rides like this but then I worry he will start planking or wiggling around on ride while we are holding him.

I never hear of babies falling off rides so it must not be an issue, what's the trick?

I doubt you will be allowed to leave him in a backpack. I'm pretty sure that I was asked to remove my 9 month old from the sling on at least some rides, or maybe most, but I'm not positive. Generally I either held him sitting on my lap or he sat on the seat next to me (or between husband and myself) and I held him that way. The cast members will direct you if they want you to do something specific.

I'm pretty sure almost all rides he sat next to us. There may have been very very few he sat in my lap, but for the most part he sat next to me.

I took my son at 10 months and for the most part, he sat between my daughter and me or on my lap. It wasn’t an issue with the lap bar. When we got on Small World he was asleep and there was no lap bar so I left him in the carrier. I was wearing him in front though. He also stayed in the carrier on Kilamanjaro Safari.

I used the Dr. Sears sling that carries the baby on the hip and loved it for getting on and off rides. I could slide it over my 10 month olds head and turn her around so she was sitting on my lap and facing forward. Then I could easily slip it back over her when getting off. I always sat her on my lap, never next to me, and it was never a problem with lap bars (and I'm not a small person). She never tried to wriggle or get away from me on a ride, too much to look at for her!!

The youngest we took the kids when they were smaller was 18 months, but we always just the child beside us on the ride and held on to him. I don't remember ever thinking anyone was going to fall out of a ride or having an issue.

I'm always surprised to hear that people had to remove their babies from carriers on rides. I've never been asked to do that, and I've gone on multiple trips over a month long with babies, spending almost every single day in the parks, and no one has ever asked me to remove my baby.

You can't wear your baby in a backpack. That wouldn't work. But a carrier like an Ergo will work perfectly. I've held my babies a few times, and that does work perfectly fine, but the hard part is holding them while we're in line. Unless it's a walk-on, I'd rather have the baby in the Ergo.

When I brought my 5 months old, we had her in the ergo on all the rides and never had a problem, and I felt much more comfortable having her in a carrier than holding her (like pirates of the caribbean, or the magic carpet). Some rides we held her because the carrier wasn't necessary (backlot studio tour, etc)

When I went with my daughter and she was 10 months I would mostly hold her in my lap for the rides that she was able to get into with out a problem. But like others have said having a carrier is a great way to go and might be very secure. I will be taking my ergo in June with my 12 month old to do most of the rides she can go in.

I went with my 12 month old last week and we did some rides laps, some rides sitting. The CM on Dumbo actually encouraged me to put him on my lap so that he could see stuff, so I did this on Magic Carpets as well.

I will warn you though that ours did not have the attention span for most rides and got restless part of way through. We just gave him some of those puffs cereal things and he was fine. Small World and Living with the Land were both too long for him. Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Dumbo, and the Magic Carpets were all an ideal length :-)

Other things he really enjoyed were the queues for the Little Mermaid and Pooh. We played peek a boo for about ten minutes in an empty Little Mermaid queue and it was a blast.

I'm always surprised to hear that people had to remove their babies from carriers on rides. I've never been asked to do that, and I've gone on multiple trips over a month long with babies, spending almost every single day in the parks, and no one has ever asked me to remove my baby.

You can't wear your baby in a backpack. That wouldn't work. But a carrier like an Ergo will work perfectly. I've held my babies a few times, and that does work perfectly fine, but the hard part is holding them while we're in line. Unless it's a walk-on, I'd rather have the baby in the Ergo.

^^^This!! I also have never been asked to take DDs out of my Ergo. We went when ODD was 11m. She went on everything including TSM while in the Ergo. Same when we were there with YDD. She was 9 months.

For me at least it wasn't that I was asked to remove him from the carrier; but it was just better for him because he didn't have to twist himself nuts trying to see everything. So I just unhooked him and sat him facing forward on my lap. I left the bottom portion of the Ergo hooked together so after the ride it was easy to secure him back to me.

I left my 10 month old in the ergo or tula for most of the rides. Occasionally unhooked the top like pp described and turned her around so she could see everything.

When we took our oldest DD, she was 9 months. We mostly held her on our laps. For attractions with lap bars, she would sometimes have to sit between us with our arms around her. The ergo is a great idea.

We went when my son was 7 1/2 months, and he either sat on our laps or stayed in a front carrier. I bought a cheaper front carrier (instead of using my ergo) which worked b/c I only used it while in line and on rides. It wasn't the best support for me, but he could see everything better and was in the stroller the rest of the time.

He's 11 months now, and we just got back from a quick trip to Universal, where he wasn't allowed to sit on our laps for the few rides he could go on. He wasn't too happy about that, so Disney is much better with handling it however works best for you and your child.

Our youngest was just a year old, just turned a year too, when we went this past August. She did really well, dh and I took turns holding her on our laps unless told to have her sit next to us by the cm's. She's a very active baby but she sat perfectly still during all the rides, the colors and music really hold their attention, made it so easy for us lol

I will warn you though that ours did not have the attention span for most rides and got restless part of way through. We just gave him some of those puffs cereal things and he was fine. Small World and Living with the Land were both too long for him. Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Dumbo, and the Magic Carpets were all an ideal length :-)

I totally agree with Living with the Land, dd3 got fussy halfway through it, thankfully she fell asleep pretty quickly soon after, it helped that we planned it right around her nap time lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter