• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

11 year old w/ FA and ASD ordering kid's meals

Dis703

DIS Veteran
I was going to post this on the restaurants board, but thought maybe I should start here. I'm taking my oldest to WDW in October and he will be 11 by then. We have done Disney many times over with him and his younger brothers and navigated all the craziness of figuring out where to eat with their set of food allergies and sensory issues, but it just dawned on me that he may not be able to order from the kid's menu anymore. :scared:

So I'm hoping for some feedback from those who have dined there with kids around age 11 and whether or not they've been able to order kid's meals in TS restaurants. We usually do at least 1TS meal per day because we don't have many options when it comes to quick service meals. At the moment, my plan is to dine at Hollywood Brown Derby, Tiffin's, Skipper Canteen, and Rose and Crown. Which he's done in the past with no problem. But if he has to order off the adult part of the menu at least 3 of those restaurants won't work for him. Has anyone had experience ordering off the kid's menu at any of these for an older child? Or any positive/negative experiences at other TS restaurants to consider?

I know some restaurants will give an adult size portion and just charge more. Or will most/all handle it this way?

And we aren't doing any buffet or family style so just the a la carte type menus is what I'm worried about.

Thanks!

Not a problem, He can order from the kids menu. I order all the time and I am 57!
At TS restaurants? I've ordered kids meals at QS, but never heard of any adults being successful in ordering kids meals at TS. Love to know if I can, since at 67, my appetite isn't as big as WDW's adult size meals.

You should be able too, especially if you know what they have on the kids menu and what you’re ordering ahead of time.

My 16 year old ordered from the kid’s menu at Skipper’s Canteen with no issues.

At TS restaurants? I've ordered kids meals at QS, but never heard of any adults being successful in ordering kids meals at TS. Love to know if I can, since at 67, my appetite isn't as big as WDW's adult size meals.
at Skipper's for sure, a long time ago at Brown Derby, and I think also at Sci Fi. But I go solo a lot and usually just grab a QS meal since I don't eat a lot and don't want to spend a long time over a TS meal.

Last edited:
We've never had an issue with DD ordering off a children's menu and she's a teen now. We do more QS than TS, but always a few TS each trip. Also, we don't use the dining plan, so I don't know if that would make a difference. I have heard that a few of the non-Disney owned restaurants may not allow it, but either we don't patronize those or haven't had a problem.

Enjoy your vacation!

My younger daughter - who is now an adult - and I both have ordered off the kids menu many times.

We have been to WDW world almost every year (missed one) with allergic DD18 since she was DD7 and never had a problem at any TS restaurant. The server or chef that talked with us about the allergies were often just happy that something fairly easy worked for her. It's often the first question we ask because she often just has a protein with a vegetable and carb that works with the allergies she has (egg, dairy, tree nut, and peanut). We usually have at least one TS meal a day and go for long trips, and they seem happy with any solution that doesn't come with lots of alterations or preparation. As she has gotten older, they have given her adult size portion/price of what's on the kids menu. I don't know when that started, but you should be okay with your child only being 11.

Yes, I order kids meals all the time and I am 50! I do not need more food than that and they have never had a problem with it. Enjoy.

We don't any more, since it's not anything like enough food these days, but we ordered off the kid's menu extensively for DS on a trip we took when he was fourteen. Only place that asked how old he was was Big River. He does present as disabled but he was a BIG kid, absolutely adult sized (if not exactly adult in appearance). I can't imagine you'll have trouble with an eleven year old.

It's perfectly fine to order off the kids menu. The ONLY catch I can think of is that if it's a fixed price you will still have to pay the Disney Adult price for your 11 year old. However even when we did the new fixed price menu at Be Our Guest, they accommodated out 12 year old kiddo by bringing him adult size portions of kids menu items. Just speak with your server and they will always help by explaining how they can accommodate at a table service restaurant!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter