• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

12/12/10 Podcast cruise 2.0

From the DVC board -

Just spoke with MS and they confirmed the same dates for the Merry Mixer that were mentioned. Dec 10, 16, 23, and 30 at the Fantasia Boardroom at the Contemporary Resort. He told me it would be held from 3:00 PM until 5:00 PM.

What is the Merry Mixer? I am not a DVC owner, just nosey.

DVC members and their families gather for some holiday fun. Games, dancing, characters, prizes, special pins, cookies and hot chocolate, and free ornament.

Sounds fun. Any DVC family want to adopt a couple in their Mid 40's / early 50's? We are potty trained and employed. No children, 2 cats. The Male enjoys golf and gin and tonic. He will do yard work. The female enjoys cooking and wine. She does not like to do housework but is great with laundry.

Sounds fun. Any DVC family want to adopt a couple in their Mid 40's / early 50's? We are potty trained and employed. No children, 2 cats. The Male enjoys golf and gin and tonic. He will do yard work. The female enjoys cooking and wine. She does not like to do housework but is great with laundry.

:rotfl:

Are we allowed to bring non-DVC guests with us?????? I am torn between two dates to attend the Merry Mixer. One is while my Mom is still with us. Would she be allowed in???? :confused:

:tinker: Jennifer

From the DVC board -

Just spoke with MS and they confirmed the same dates for the Merry Mixer that were mentioned. Dec 10, 16, 23, and 30 at the Fantasia Boardroom at the Contemporary Resort. He told me it would be held from 3:00 PM until 5:00 PM.

We're staying at BLT so this will be easy for us. We will be there on the 16th. After the mixer it's a quick walk over to MVMCP! :santa:

We're staying at BLT so this will be easy for us. We will be there on the 16th. After the mixer it's a quick walk over to MVMCP! :santa:
Am a little late to this thread, but we'll also be on this cruise, then my mom & I are staying an extra 2 days at BLT. What is the "mixer"? We also have tickets for to MVMCP Dec 16th..... small world...

Am a little late to this thread, but we'll also be on this cruise, then my mom & I are staying an extra 2 days at BLT. What is the "mixer"? We also have tickets for to MVMCP Dec 16th..... small world...

Small world indeed. The merry mixer is a DVC event. Maybe we'll see you at some point as we have similar itineraries. :goodvibes

Hello everyone! We just booked this cruise last minute after losing our home in a fire and working for the past 2 months on getting our lives in order... we decided to take our little girls on a cruise... it's going to be a total suprise the night before we go. I really want to see joy on their faces after losing everything, including our dog. :(

Now. I have a ZILLION questions! It's SO last minute, and it's taking every penny to do this for them. I really want to do it right. If you have time, I'd really appreciate your tips, advice, etc. :)

Questions:
What is a podcast?
Is this a good thing for us that this is a podcast cruise?
I booked online at Disneycruise... can I switch our reservation?
I can't seem to get DH and I a ressie at Palo. Is that a big deal?
How many nights is there formal wear?
How does this decorating the door thing work?
So that DH and I don't go broke, do you have any money saving tips? Are we allowed to bring alcohol and/or snacks?
We booked the category 11 room, how awful is it going to be?

I have so many more. :D Huge thanks for your time.

Hello everyone! We just booked this cruise last minute after losing our home in a fire and working for the past 2 months on getting our lives in order... we decided to take our little girls on a cruise... it's going to be a total suprise the night before we go. I really want to see joy on their faces after losing everything, including our dog. :(

Now. I have a ZILLION questions! It's SO last minute, and it's taking every penny to do this for them. I really want to do it right. If you have time, I'd really appreciate your tips, advice, etc. :)

Questions:
What is a podcast?
So that DH and I don't go broke, do you have any money saving tips? Are we allowed to bring alcohol and/or snacks?

I have so many more. :D Huge thanks for your time.

:welcome:

:hug: Sorry to read about your past circumstances. This cruise might just be what the family needs! :thumbsup2

:wizard: The DISUnplugged Podcast is a weekly show discussing Disney (and they now have a monthy Universal show). It is aired over the internet. It was formerly know as The DIS (Disney Information Station) and was created by Disney fan Pete Werner. The website and show have just grown over the years. It just keeps getting better and better!

DIS Unplugged Podcast link HERE

:wizard: In 2009, the creators of this site/owners of Dreams Unlimited Travel (Pete, John & others) put together a cruise to bring fellow DISers together. That is how we have come to DISUnplugged Podcast Cruise 2.0 (this is the second Podcast cruise.)

:wizard: If you have trouble booking Palo online, DCL keeps some reservations to be booked once onboard. Ask a CM immediately when you board to head you in the right direction.

:wizard: Since this is a four night cruise, there isn't an official "formal night". That is usually on a longer cruise. We like to "dress up" for our dinner at Palo.

:wizard: People decorate their stateroom doors with pictures and their names. If you plan to decorate your stateroom door, you must use magnets or magnetic paper. DCL does not allow sticky tape because it can peel the paint off the door. There is no right or wrong way to decorate a stateroom door. It is your creation.

There is a section on the DISboards called Creative DISigns that might inspire you. Link HERE

:wizard: You may bring alcohol onboard. But, it has to be in your carry-on luggage. However note, you may not bring ice in your carry-on luggage. DCL does not accept liquids like water bottles and alcohol in checked bags.

:wizard: We usually don't spend too much time in our stateroom. Besides the Suites, they are ALL small spaces. So, this will just encourage you to be out and about enjoying the ship. There are plenty of open-air places to relax onboard. :thumbsup2

I hope this helps. Soon you will be sailing your worries! :cloud9:

Note: Since you didn't book your cruise through Dreams Unlimited for the Podcast Cruise, you will NOT be able to partake in the Podcast Cruise events. Only those with PCC 2.0 credentials will be allowed. Sorry, I think it is too late to change your cruise to DU for the PCC 2.0. But, double check with John or Kevin.

First of all, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope this vacation can be a nice break from the stress of what you must be going through. I am going on my first cruise for this cruise so I may not have full or complete answers but I will see what I can do to help answer your questions from things I have learned.

What is a podcast?
The Podcast is a weeklyroundtable radio like show put out by the owner of this site and several other people that work for him. You can listen on iTunes if you search for The DISUnplugged or you can go see the website here.

Since you did not book through Dreams Unlimited Travel (the travel agency that the owner and a few others own and the sponsor of the podcast cruise) you will not be able to participate in any of the extra Podcast Cruise specific activities. The good news however is that 3/4 of the ship will not be podcast cruisers and that all normal activities will still take place for every cruiser.

Most first time cruisers have problems getting Palo reservations even if they book online within the first few minutes of reservations opening up for the first time cruisers. The good news is that many of the reservations are reserved for onboard. The thing you want to try and do is get to the port first thing (the port opens at ten) and try and be one of the first groups to board the ship (you are given a boarding number when you walk in to the terminal). Once you are onboard you can go to (and I am fuzzy on this if a more experienced cruiser can confirm) Wavebands to try and secure a reservation. Even if you cannot get a Palo reservation, you will have loads of fun! Please be aware Palo has a strict dresscode which you can view here:

A dress shirt or jacket is required for men and a dress or pantsuit is required for women. No jeans allowed. At brunch and high tea, attire is cruise casual, meaning no shorts, jeans, swimwear or tank tops.

One night is dress-up night but it is not terribly formal compared to the Magic and longer sailings.

On the Cruise Line board, you can find this thread that has many talented DISigners that will personalize the graphics they have made for people. Once they have personalized your selections, you can print them on magnetic paper which is expensive, or print them on regular paper, get them laminated, and then add strip magnets (Wal-Mart has 18 strips for $.97) Make sure everything you do is magnetic, not sticky.

Alcohol can be brought on board as a carryon in a bag small enough to fit through an airport screening machine. Please note, no ice is allowed to be brought on in the bag, your stateroom host can add it once onboard.

Any room on a Disney ship is better than not being on it! And since it is a short cruise you probably will not be in your room for much of the cruise anyway :)

Hope these helped!

:wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard: For the past four years, we have been at Walt Disney World for the week of Thanksgiving and the week after. We should be at WDW right now! However, I'm NOT complaining. We'll be at WDW for Christmas this year! :woohoo:

:wizard: Our paper chain is getting shorter and shorter.
:wizard: The suitcases have come out of the closet.
:wizard: Our pile has turned into a mound.

"I'm ready! I'm ready!" - Spongebob Squarepants

Although I've listened to the Podcast in the past, I'm not a "Podcast Cruiser". Because this is the PodCast cruise, I was afraid the ship would be crazy packed. :( Just checked the DCL website & it still shows Cats 11, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, & 2 still available. Yay for breathing room!

Gayle

Although I've listened to the Podcast in the past, I'm not a "Podcast Cruiser". Because this is the PodCast cruise, I was afraid the ship would be crazy packed. :( Just checked the DCL website & it still shows Cats 11, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, & 2 still available. Yay for breathing room!

Gayle

Nope. Just crazy. :joker::clown::crazy::jester:

party: Today, is our 14th Wedding Anniversary! party:

Fourteen years ago today, I was waking up a fiancee and went to sleep a married woman! Back then, Bill was a school teacher. So, we had to work our wedding and honeymoon around his school vacation. We went to the Bahamas for our honeymoon. I will never forget, we had Domino's pizza as our Thanksgiving meal in our hotel room. :rotfl: I never said we were "traditional" people! ;) It's the company that matters ... :love:

:love: I love you Bill! Thank you for fourteen amazing years of marriage. Many more magical years to come! :tinker:

:love: Jennifer

Fourteen years ago today, I was waking up a fiancee and went to sleep a married woman! Back then, Bill was a school teacher. So, we had to work our wedding and honeymoon around his school vacation. We went to the Bahamas for our honeymoon. I will never forget, we had Domino's pizza as our Thanksgiving meal in our hotel room. :rotfl: I never said we were "traditional" people! ;) It's the company that matters ... :love:

Happy Anniversary! pixiedust: Our 31st is tomorrow.

Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter