12/23- tips, advice

Miumiu4me

DIS Veteran
We’ve been annual pass holders for WDW for 12 years. We will be in CA at Xmas time and we have one free day. We got one day park hoppers to Disney for myself, my husband, and my five year old.

I know it will be busy. I’ve been to WDW at the Xmas time and it’s awful. I got the wine bar for lunch and the Cajun place booked for dinner. I figured we can maybe squeeze in a ride or two at Adventure and watch the shows at Disneyland. I saw I have to buy fastpasses when we get to the park and I’m figuring they’ll sell out early. We won’t have an issue getting there early because we will probably still be on EST.

Any other ideas? What can we realistically do? My kid is great at waiting in lines and very easy going. Her parents are far less well behaved.:-)

I’d get rid of one of your reservations. Stay in the park for counter service. There are so many good things to eat without sitting down to order. I think there are better options than lamplight too.

You get free Fastpass. Go to the kiosk to pull a time. Or pay $10 each for maxpass. Learn how to use it before if you do this (and I would!). Disneyland daily has a great post. Just google it.

Are you planning to watch fantasmic? Will you want to see WOC in DCA if it’s on, instead?

I’d definitely take your daughter to carsland! I don’t care for the tire ride. Too slow loading. But maters is great.

What will she want to do in Disneyland? Personally I’d avoid as much of fantasyland as possible because there is no fastpass.

I’m not an expert, especially for this time of year. Those are just some ideas off the top of my head.

Have a great trip!!!

Read this thread to familiarize yourself as much as possible with the differences/similarities between DLR and WDW: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. Download the free Disneyland app and get used to using it. Get familiar with the maps (knowing that your favorite rides may be in totally different locations, where the restrooms are in each land, where the major landmarks are, etc. can be very helpful, especially when you only have one crowded day in the parks). Have a credit card loaded on the app so that you can use Mobile Ordering for CS. That will save a lot of time. CS at DLR is quite good and gets good reviews from many WDW vets. Make a list of your priorities (e.g. rides, attractions, shows, souvenirs, food, characters, etc.), then pick your top 5, making sure that everyone gets at least one pick. Do your best to hit those 5 -- everything else will be gravy. With good organization, lots of patience, and a positive attitude, you'll have a great day!

Maxpass at Disneyland looks similar to WDW existing fastpasses system-but our system is free. We don’t have the local population that DL has though!

I booked Lamplight cause there wasn’t much available for that date and I figured my husband could use the break. He prefers sit down meals. Any other sitdowns you’d recommend?

My five year old wanted to ride the incredible’s coaster...but she’s two inches too short. If she can ride a coaster she will be happy .She really just wants to see the Xmas shows. Everything else will be gravy to her.

Maxpass at Disneyland looks similar to WDW existing fastpasses system-but our system is free. We don’t have the local population that DL has though!

I booked Lamplight cause there wasn’t much available for that date and I figured my husband could use the break. He prefers sit down meals. Any other sitdowns you’d recommend?

My five year old wanted to ride the incredible’s coaster...but she’s two inches too short. If she can ride a coaster she will be happy .She really just wants to see the Xmas shows. Everything else will be gravy to her.
Maxpass really isn’t like the WDW system at all... you don’t book anything in advance, you don’t pick time ranges, and you can get a lot of FPs in a day if you have the right strategy, including a bunch with overlapping times.

You don’t have to buy it. There are free FPs by physically going to the kiosks and inserting your tickets. On a crowded day like the 23rd, I’d personally buy Maxpass 100%, but it’s not actually necessary to get FPs.

Get to the parks as early as possible. Are you staying within walking distance?

You’ll be able to get a lot done in the first hour or two. Is you have Maxpass (or are willing to go get FPs), you’ll be able to sprinkle rides throughout the rest of the day.

https://disneylanddaily.com/a-fastpass-guide-for-disneyland-and-california-adventure/

You can try to let her go on space mountain and big thunder mountain railroad (my fave).

My favorite counter service are:
DL bengal bbq
French Market

Dca: boardwalk pasta
Award wieners (veggie sandwich)
Cozy cones (chili)

You can get a parade viewing spot with the plaza inn package.

Hungry bear package will get you a fantasmic viewing spot. You can also go to blue bayou for a fantasmic package (or not). Blue bayou would be my table service choice, especially if you’re not coming back, because it’s a unique restaurant.

A few thoughts from a WDW veteran that’s fallen in love with DL in recent years:

-MaxPass is very useful and will probably be worth the $30 it will cost your group. The nice thing is that since there are no advanced reservations you should have a decent selection of Fastpasses to choose from. Learn how it works and download the app ahead of time to save time. I don’t think MaxPass itself can sell out, although the Fastpass selections will run out throughout the day.

-Indiana Jones is one of the best things at the resort. If your daughter is tall enough and won’t be too frightened, I would make it a priority. It’s similar to Dinosaur (maybe a little scarier and arguably much better).

-Pirates is awesome and much better than at WDW. There are no Fastpasses, and the line often looks crazy, but it moves very fast. Just go by the posted wait time.

-See Cars Land! It’s an amazing creation unlike anything at WDW. Radiator Springs Racers is awesome and has a great single rider line (similar to Test Track).

-Guardians of the Galaxy is great, and I thought it was a really fun change of pace from the WDW Tower of Terror. Same ride dynamic, but with a less scary, more fun theme.

-There looks to be a decent chance World of Color will be back for your trip. It’s one of the absolute best things in any Disney park, and I would strongly recommend making an effort to see it if you can.

-I personally don’t think your daughter will be missing much with the Incredicoaster. It wasn’t one of the highlights in my opinion. Space Mountain and Big Thunder were much more fun (and better than WDW).

A few thoughts from a WDW veteran that’s fallen in love with DL in recent years:

-MaxPass is very useful and will probably be worth the $30 it will cost your group. The nice thing is that since there are no advanced reservations you should have a decent selection of Fastpasses to choose from. Learn how it works and download the app ahead of time to save time. I don’t think MaxPass itself can sell out, although the Fastpass selections will run out throughout the day.

-Indiana Jones is one of the best things at the resort. If your daughter is tall enough and won’t be too frightened, I would make it a priority. It’s similar to Dinosaur (maybe a little scarier and arguably much better).

-Pirates is awesome and much better than at WDW. There are no Fastpasses, and the line often looks crazy, but it moves very fast. Just go by the posted wait time.

-See Cars Land! It’s an amazing creation unlike anything at WDW. Radiator Springs Racers is awesome and has a great single rider line (similar to Test Track).

-Guardians of the Galaxy is great, and I thought it was a really fun change of pace from the WDW Tower of Terror. Same ride dynamic, but with a less scary, more fun theme.

-There looks to be a decent chance World of Color will be back for your trip. It’s one of the absolute best things in any Disney park, and I would strongly recommend making an effort to see it if you can.

-I personally don’t think your daughter will be missing much with the Incredicoaster. It wasn’t one of the highlights in my opinion. Space Mountain and Big Thunder were much more fun (and better than WDW).

My daughter hates dinosaur but she will try anything twice (she did Dinosaur twice before ruling it out til she is twenty). My husband wants to ride Indiana Jones. She’s 45 inches.

We are most interested in rides they don’t have at WDW. I’d like to see the Xmas Small World but I’m probably alone in that.

If you start early and use maxpass you can do a lot. I will also Be going on 12/23 with my aunt. We normally go every year the weekend or few days before Christmas, and haven’t been scared off by crowds yet :)

I’ve done Epcot on NYE. I figure it can’t be worse than that.

My daughter hates dinosaur but she will try anything twice (she did Dinosaur twice before ruling it out til she is twenty). My husband wants to ride Indiana Jones. She’s 45 inches.

We are most interested in rides they don’t have at WDW. I’d like to see the Xmas Small World but I’m probably alone in that.

Ask a CM to tell you when the lighting will happen at Its a Small World. As your probably aware, the facade is quite spectacular as opposed to WDW and at Xmas time they light the entire front of the facade. If you’re standing in front of it when the lights come on, it’s breathtaking!!

Height limit for Indy is 46”. I think it’s provably a bit scary for a 5yr old (my girls definitely didn’t like it at 5 and the older two still don’t love it).

If WoC is back I would make that a priority.

Also please heed the comments above and familiarize yourself with MP. MaxPass is not like FP+ at WDW. There are free fast passes available as well. MaxPass and the regular FastPasses are the same system, with MP you are just able to book through the app instead of having to go to the FP machines at each ride (as well as shorter window until you can get another FP and the ability to pick up canceled FPs in the app). Once a ride is “out” of FPs for the day it’s out for everyone (MP and regular with the exception of any cancelled MPs that may pop up). I agree with the recommendations of others that you should purchase MP for your day if it’s in your budget as I think it will help a lot. You will also get all your PhotoPass photos included with MP (including ride photos).

Space is MUCH better at DL than MK. Pirates is also better. Try and convince your family to go with you to IASW holiday, especially after dark. It’s truly special. Also the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay on Haunted Mansion which is unique to DL. Carsland is a don’t miss as well. If your DD likes Frozen, the Frozen show at DCA is excellent- it’s a broadway style production (and also provides a chance for DH to sit for a bit).

It’s on maxpass so they can do something else while you ride it!

I personally wouldn’t see frozen on your single day there.

I won’t even go on Indy this trip. Lol it’s my dh thing and I’m too scared by it. Haha

I’ve done Epcot on NYE. I figure it can’t be worse than that.
Probably not but you might be surprised. Remove the drunks. Remove 90% of the “open space” (walkways, water, planters). Welcome to DLR.

DL can feel more claustrophobic to WDW vets because it’s so much smaller. We have less people but all of DL & DCA can be fit into Epcot. Add to that DLR has more rides than all 4 WDW parks + 3 very popular nighttime shows... now you’re getting the picture. All that said DL is much better about managing crowds within the parks to keep people moving around shows, etc.

With night shows a priority and a short kid I’d look at BB Fantasmic package. Those in the BB area are asked to sit on the ground so it’s probably your best shot at a great view without being sardined by Holiday crowds.

We may go on the 22nd as well and just focus on seeing the nighttime shows...or we may just have dinner at Downtown Disney that night.

...or we may just have dinner at Downtown Disney that night.
You might look into doing a character dinner at Goofy's Kitchen in the DLH. GK is the only character meal to do dinner and can be a fun way to get the magic going before your day in the parks.

You might look into doing a character dinner at Goofy's Kitchen in the DLH. GK is the only character meal to do dinner and can be a fun way to get the magic going before your day in the parks.

We considered that. If it were a longer trip I would do it but here, nah. We’ve been to dozens of character meals at WDW. I’m not super into buffets tbh (we’ve only been to so many for daughter’s sake). Characters aren’t a priority for this trip.

Then the night of the 22nd might be a good time to do a F! dining package (HB, BB, or RBT -- all have good viewing) -- that would give you a very good view of a very fun show. And the first show would allow you to stay in your viewing section to view the fireworks from the ROA, too. That would take a lot of pressure off your schedule for the next day.
Be aware that characters in the parks are different at DLR -- no FPs needed and more spontaneity (often roaming without handlers). So have your camera/phone ready just in case your daughter sees a character she wants to meet or a character meets her (!). When the magic happens this way, it can be super special.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter