13 Days of Disney - Everything We Never Knew We Always Wanted - June 2016 TR Update 1/30

Just caught up on your trip report and I'm enjoying it so far. You have an adorable family!:love:

I just had to share that I had a recent food and needle accident a few years ago when I stepped off the couch and backwards onto a needle. It went straight into my food and disappeared! It took one year to get that baby out so I completely feel your pain there. Hope you are all healed now!

I am planning a June 2017 trip with my family. Yaaayyy for WDW planning!!:cheer2:Excited to read more!

Just got caught up, but have been following along--y'all are adorable!

Also I will 100% agree with you on TGAITTBAB. Cannot stand it. But man, those are some awesome pics of the fireworks when you got back to BLT!

Just joining in. Great report!

:welcome: and thank you!
Just caught up on your trip report and I'm enjoying it so far. You have an adorable family!:love:

I just had to share that I had a recent food and needle accident a few years ago when I stepped off the couch and backwards onto a needle. It went straight into my food and disappeared! It took one year to get that baby out so I completely feel your pain there. Hope you are all healed now!

I am planning a June 2017 trip with my family. Yaaayyy for WDW planning!!:cheer2:Excited to read more!

Glad you're enjoying it - thanks!

And OMG, a year?? Makes my little 6 month ordeal seem like nothing lol. I have some nerve damage leftover, but no more pain.

Hooray for June 2017 trips! It seems so far away right now, but I'm sure it'll be here before we know it.

Just got caught up, but have been following along--y'all are adorable!

Also I will 100% agree with you on TGAITTBAB. Cannot stand it. But man, those are some awesome pics of the fireworks when you got back to BLT!

Aw, thanks! :blush:

Glad to see someone else with the completely right idea about TGAITTBAB! ;) My family thinks I'm crazy, but I knew there had to be others like me out there.

And yes, the fireworks view when we got back to BLT was completely magical. I hadn't been keeping up with the time at all, so it was a nice surprise to come "home" to.

We get the hoppers mostly because I buy from Parksavers and I think that's all you can get there. The 7 day PH is close to the same price as a non PH from Disney. And it came in handy in June when we needed to hop back to DHS for the SW FW. If I did buy from Disney, I'd probably do what you did and buy base tix and only upgrade there if need be.

Day 10 – June 15: Resort Day, Part 1

We woke up to a beautiful day and a completely still Bay Lake. It was strange seeing it with no activities going on on the water with the weather being so gorgeous. Of course, due to the events of the previous evening, water activities and boat transportation had been suspended

This was our second planned day of no parks, as we had decided to take one day off at each resort. However, not doing a park didn’t mean we didn’t have plans! We did the WDW version of sleeping in (so like, 8:30am), then took our time getting ready before heading out to our breakfast reservation. I snapped these pictures from the BLT bridge to the Contemporary as we made our way to the monorail.

20160615_094114.jpg

20160615_094121.jpg

As we waited for the monorail the kids decided to play “guess what color the monorail will be.” We were at the front of the waiting line and the CM took notice of the kids’ game. When Alex shouted out “monorail gold!” he gave a little wink and sure enough, we saw this making its way into the resort almost immediately after.

20160615_094754.jpg

We made it over to the location of our breakfast reservation quickly – the Polynesian!

Which way would we turn?

20160615_095559.jpg

Left!

20160615_095603.jpg

This was our first time eating at Kona, but I was really wanting to try it, largely because of the legendary status it seems to have on these boards.

Alex ordered Minnie’s French toast.
20160615_102055.jpg

Cora had Mickey pancakes.
20160615_102104.jpg

Rees got the Big Kahuna.
20160615_102110.jpg

I ordered the thing that made me want to go here in the first place – Tonga Toast.
20160615_102052.jpg

As with lots of other Disney food pics, it was bigger than it looks.

So did we like it? Well, you be the judge. Here are Rees, Cora, and Alex’s plates at the end of the meal.
20160615_103344.jpg

20160615_103348.jpg

And here’s mine:
20160615_103352.jpg

My “after” pic is misleading because I struggle to eat very much in the mornings and this was very filling. I really enjoyed it and liked the potatoes almost as much as the Tonga toast – I’m a sucker for potatoes. I got a to-go box and enjoyed the rest of this meal as leftovers a bit later in the week. Yum!

On our way out of the Poly, the kids caught sight of Moana Mercantile and just had to go in. This darn store gets us every time we set foot in this resort. They had been pretty good about begging for souvenirs over the course of the trip, so we let them get the thing they were both begging for – a Duffy bear! We met Duffy on our very first trip and my kids fell in love with him, which was aided by the bedtime story shown at the resorts. So now they finally had their own Duffys – naked ones! We told them they can pick one new outfit each for him on each trip we have after this one. This proposal was acceptable to them.

Yay Duffy!
20160615_105019.jpg

We decided to follow-up our Kona meal with something else we had never done – a ride on the Epcot beam of the monorail! We walked over to the TTC where CM’s were frantically trying to redirect traffic arriving trying to get to the Magic Kingdom due to the closed transportation options. We sauntered over to the Epcot line and were some of only a few people headed that way. It was a nice ride. Duffy(s) enjoyed it too.

20160615_110155.jpg

20160615_112622.jpg

I’m glad we did this, as it allowed us to see inside of a park even if we weren’t actually on the ground and I loved seeing Epcot from this vantage point. Future World is my favorite place atmospherically in all of WDW. Yes, I realize this makes me a weirdo around these parts.

20160615_110519.jpg

20160615_110609.jpg

Once we finished our ride, we turned right back around and headed back to the TTC.

To be continued!

I like all of Epcot, especially Future World. It has very sentimental meaning for me, since my first WDW visit was only a year after Epcot opened. It was my Grandpa's favorite park, and he loved riding the monorail to it. Epcot is my favorite park, but most of my favorite attractions are at MK:confused3

I really love the Tree with the new projections at night. It's beautiful.

We all really like Dinosaur. My kids know where it's going to pop out and make faces at it. One year though it popped out on the left side and totally freaked us all out as we were looking to the right. ;) Not sure why it was different that time but it's always been on the right side before and since.

Your dinner at Y&Y looks really good. Never eaten there but going to have to try it sometime especially to get that dessert.

TGAITTBAB. Love the name, no desire to ever try this ride. I have never done it and never plan to. I've heard enough to know that it would not be fun for me. :) My Brother in Law likes it and takes any kids that want to go on with him. Works for me.

The tragedy with that poor little boy and the alligator was just awful to hear about and I imagine it would have been tough to see everything closed on the water as a reminder of what had happened. Terrible for that family, I can't even imagine what they are going through.

Looks like a delicious breakfast at Kona, another place I have never tried but need to do.

I bought my kids Sorcerer Mickey Duffy's. Slightly smaller and the clothes don't come off but they were a great souvenir from our 2014 trip especially since I bought them on the Disney store site 5 months after we got home and paid half price. The kids brought them on our 2015 trip and we lucked out and got to meet Duffy once before he stopped doing meet and greets. Have a great picture of the kids holding their Duffy's with Duffy. :)

Looks like fun just riding the Monorail around in the morning.

Yup, you're weird :crazy:
Just kidding! Actually after taking the Undiscovered FW tour and hearing what some of the FW pavilions are supposed to resemble and why some of them were designed the way they were, I can completely understand someone loving the look of that area. I'm sure you're not alone :)
Strange, my chiropractors receptionist was asking me just a few hours ago about the whole Lane Graves thing :( I can't imagine how it would've been to be there at that time. It's horrible and we keep it in our thoughts, but life goes on and we go on...........

Poor Duffy, gone from the parks :sad1:. We've had such cute M&G's with him over the years. I have a Little Golden Book with him in it before they gave him a name lol, I bought it down there for Ricky in 2007. I can't remember what it's called and I can't locate it right now, but basically he was Mickeys teddy bear w/ no name and they went around MK at night while it was closed and had lots of fun :mickeyjum One of these boys best find that book for me asap!!

I love having "off" days!! We have 3 off days on my upcoming trip. I am hoping to do some resort hopping on those days. I know the first down day we are going to sleep in because I am not sure how much sleep we will have the day before and going to the MNSSHP that night we will need some sleep!!!

You weren't kidding about the weather. It does look beautiful out in all your photos. Breakfast looks wonderful! I will try Kona one day but we haven't ever done 'Ohana and I have ALWAYS wanted to. I always get vetoed on trips with my folks but June 2017, it is definitely on the list.

If we end up at VWL (or whatever the new name is) I may need to plan a trip to the TTC just so we can take the monorail to Epcot for one of our planned park days there.

Love the Duffy(s)! I wish he was still there for meet and greets as my boys have never met him. :(

Looking forward to more of your BLT "rest" day!

I've been catching up with your report and absolutely loving it. Your kids are adorable, and I absolutely love the costumes! I showed the costumes and Alex's bedroom to my husband and said "They are much better parents than we are". :rotfl2:

Looking forward to the rest of the trip!

Breakfast at Kona! Yum!

We love to ride the monorail from the TTC to Epcot and back again. We make sure to do it at least once a trip, if not more.

I like all of Epcot, especially Future World. It has very sentimental meaning for me, since my first WDW visit was only a year after Epcot opened. It was my Grandpa's favorite park, and he loved riding the monorail to it. Epcot is my favorite park, but most of my favorite attractions are at MK:confused3

I'm the same way! If you ask me about favorite attractions, most of what I will name is in MK. But Epcot was my favorite as a kid and I think I'm still sentimental about it.

I really love the Tree with the new projections at night. It's beautiful.

We all really like Dinosaur. My kids know where it's going to pop out and make faces at it. One year though it popped out on the left side and totally freaked us all out as we were looking to the right. ;) Not sure why it was different that time but it's always been on the right side before and since.

Ha! See, that's why I have to close my eyes. ;)

TGAITTBAB. Love the name, no desire to ever try this ride. I have never done it and never plan to. I've heard enough to know that it would not be fun for me. :) My Brother in Law likes it and takes any kids that want to go on with him. Works for me.

Sounds like you've got yourself a good situation there with your brother in law. My husband would take them without me, but the kids would flip because I'd be breaking our "we all experience everything at least once" pact. Maybe one day I'll trade them ToT or something to sit it out lol.

I bought my kids Sorcerer Mickey Duffy's. Slightly smaller and the clothes don't come off but they were a great souvenir from our 2014 trip especially since I bought them on the Disney store site 5 months after we got home and paid half price. The kids brought them on our 2015 trip and we lucked out and got to meet Duffy once before he stopped doing meet and greets. Have a great picture of the kids holding their Duffy's with Duffy. :)

Ugh, we should have done the Disney Store sale thing. Oh well, too late now. I wish we could meet Duffy with the Duffys!

Yup, you're weird :crazy:
Just kidding! Actually after taking the Undiscovered FW tour and hearing what some of the FW pavilions are supposed to resemble and why some of them were designed the way they were, I can completely understand someone loving the look of that area. I'm sure you're not alone :)

I would love to take that tour some day!

Strange, my chiropractors receptionist was asking me just a few hours ago about the whole Lane Graves thing :( I can't imagine how it would've been to be there at that time. It's horrible and we keep it in our thoughts, but life goes on and we go on...........

It was really weird because it was, of course, all over the national news and everyone we know knew we were there. I kept getting phone calls and texts from people back home asking about it. And being at BLT, it was hard to get away from. I saw the boats speeding across the water and knew they had found him about 20 minutes before it was announced on television. I know I will likely feel somewhat nauseous every time I think about it for a good long while and still feel terrible for the family. But yes, life does go on.

Poor Duffy, gone from the parks :sad1:. We've had such cute M&G's with him over the years. I have a Little Golden Book with him in it before they gave him a name lol, I bought it down there for Ricky in 2007. I can't remember what it's called and I can't locate it right now, but basically he was Mickeys teddy bear w/ no name and they went around MK at night while it was closed and had lots of fun :mickeyjum One of these boys best find that book for me asap!!

Aw, you definitely need to make someone find that book for you! That sounds like a sweet keepsake and a really cute story. Poor Duffy indeed.

I love having "off" days!! We have 3 off days on my upcoming trip. I am hoping to do some resort hopping on those days. I know the first down day we are going to sleep in because I am not sure how much sleep we will have the day before and going to the MNSSHP that night we will need some sleep!!!

I was spoiled by the off days! I don't know if we will be there long enough to get one next time - definitely not 2. It was so nice to be able to do. Three sounds amazing!

You weren't kidding about the weather. It does look beautiful out in all your photos. Breakfast looks wonderful! I will try Kona one day but we haven't ever done 'Ohana and I have ALWAYS wanted to. I always get vetoed on trips with my folks but June 2017, it is definitely on the list.

It was so pretty! Really hot, but we were fine with it since the week before had been so rainy. 'Ohana is definitely worth making time for IMO. Are you planning on breakfast or dinner?

If we end up at VWL (or whatever the new name is) I may need to plan a trip to the TTC just so we can take the monorail to Epcot for one of our planned park days there.

It was a really nice trip, but I don't know that I would do it on an actual park day. Maybe for our break, but I'm too nuts about getting to RD on time to trust it in the morning when I have a car. ;)

Love the Duffy(s)! I wish he was still there for meet and greets as my boys have never met him. :(

It was a fluke that we did - not in the plans! But I'm glad we got to before they removed him. :(

I've been catching up with your report and absolutely loving it. Your kids are adorable, and I absolutely love the costumes! I showed the costumes and Alex's bedroom to my husband and said "They are much better parents than we are". :rotfl2:

Looking forward to the rest of the trip!

Thank you! And lol! Tell your husband that it is ALL my mother in law's doing. Their rooms were plain before she got to them and if I had to get them costumes myself they'd be from Party City and they'd only wear them on Halloween. :rotfl:

Breakfast at Kona! Yum!

We love to ride the monorail from the TTC to Epcot and back again. We make sure to do it at least once a trip, if not more.

We will likely make a point of doing it every time we're able to stay on the monorail line or if we're dining at Polynesian again. It was a really pleasant ride and the walk from the Poly was easy and pretty.

It was so pretty! Really hot, but we were fine with it since the week before had been so rainy. 'Ohana is definitely worth making time for IMO. Are you planning on breakfast or dinner?
Planning breakfast so we can have the meet and greet with Lilo and Stitch!

It was a really nice trip, but I don't know that I would do it on an actual park day. Maybe for our break, but I'm too nuts about getting to RD on time to trust it in the morning when I have a car. ;)
Yeh, I was thinking coming back from a break. Definitely not RD time!

Discovered your TR today and have really enjoyed reading through it. Love that your family enjoys the meets so much. Your kids look alot of fun and I love the fact you dress them up in appropriate costumes. Look forward to reading more soon.

Discovered your TR today and have really enjoyed reading through it. Love that your family enjoys the meets so much. Your kids look alot of fun and I love the fact you dress them up in appropriate costumes. Look forward to reading more soon.

:welcome: Thank you and glad you're enjoying it! My kiddos definitely get into the Disney spirit. ;) We have a hard time toning down our Disney love at home so we go a little nuts when we're in the parks and can express it with abandon. :rotfl:

Day 10 – June 15: Resort Day, Part 2

When we got back to the Contemporary on the monorail we decided to spend a little time hanging out in the concourse. However, we can’t ever stay there for long because BVG is dangerous for the grown-ups because we see so much we want to buy and Fantasia is dangerous for the kids because they see so much they want to buy. For those unfamiliar:

bayview-gifts-00.jpg

2504667206_d490d5dd6b_b.jpg

We had to get a pic with the Mary Blair mural. It’s so big it’s hard to fit it all in one shot!

20160615_115232.jpg

Next we decided to head to the BLT community hall for a bit. The kids love to spend time here – Alex enjoys the crafts and Cora enjoys the video games. They both love a particular CM here that we met on the first day of our trip in 2015. She was here again this year, both in the community hall and at the BLT pool and the kids adore her. She is seriously one of the main reasons they don’t want to stay somewhere else next time. We have, of course, sent guest feedback compliments for her multiple times.

This is the only picture I took in the CH. I suck.
20160615_121118.jpg

Alex and I colored a picture, Rees made a refrigerator magnet. We are not crafty by nature and it showed in our work. ;)

What would an off-day be without some pool time? Especially with my pool-obsessed children. To top it off, their favorite CM from the community hall was headed to the pool to lead some games. The kiddos came back with prizes including big inflatable crowns and were over the moon. I sat out on the balcony while the rest of the fam went to the pool. Somewhere in this time we also did some laundry.

Waving like little ants.

20160615_131259.jpg

After the pool time we got ready to head back out for our dinner reservation. We made our way over to the monorail again and rode it…back to the Polynesian! In the morning we had gone to the left. In the evening, we turned to the right.

Can you make out the blurry name?

20160615_170128.jpg

We had been to ‘Ohana for breakfast in the past, but I really wanted to try dinner. I had seen pics of the bread pudding – that was enough for me. While we waited, Alex and I took a couple of selfies.

Sweet and sassy.

20160615_172048.jpg

20160615_172100.jpg

Cora LOVES meat. This was her face when she noticed the giant skewers going around.

20160615_172614.jpg

Meanwhile, Alex could have had this bread and nothing else. We had to cut him off because he was stuffing as much in his face as possible.

20160615_172624.jpg

I got no pictures of the main course because we inhaled that stuff. Like for real, we ate ugly. I do have one pic of the kids playing one of the games.

20160615_175258.jpg

They were actually much happier than they look in this picture.

I did get pictures of the dessert. They brought cupcakes for the kids.

20160615_181545.jpg

And this for us.

20160615_181538.jpg

So so good. We’d just had the Yak & Yeti dessert we loved so much the previous day and this just about sent us into a dessert coma.

On our way out of the restaurant, a kind CM offered to take a picture for us in front of the sign. The kids were too stuffed to properly smile, but you can see I was thrilled.

20160615_183331.jpg

We very much enjoyed both the food and experience at ‘Ohana and will likely put it into our regular rotation. Not necessarily every trip, but probably every other trip. We rode the monorail back around to the Contemporary and turned in early to be up and ready for another 8:00am rope drop the next day.

Things you are making me want to do:
  1. Hang out in the Contemporary for ages. I've been there for Chef Mickey's, which is very cool as a kid at least, but I've never actually explored. Those shops, though... mmmmm...
  2. Eat at least a dozen meals at 'Ohana. That bread pudding looks divine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter