13 Year old gir declared brain dead has now officially died

I understand that they have great faith in God. Why isn't it also possible that God has decided to call this girl to heaven for His own reasons and they are simply ignoring His will? I simply do not get why the automatic impulse is that God wants to work a miracle. We all know that young people die tragically all the time. Somehow, some way, this is also part of God's plan.

Have you had your child be declared brain dead? If not then you probably wouldn't get why those parents feel that way.
I don't believe in God, but I know if I was in their situation I'd be praying to someone/thing for a miracle to save my child.

You know... this is a hard thing to have a definite answer for. I don't think it really HAS a definite answer. On one hand, if it were me, I would just tell people to pull the plug and let me rest in peace. But on the other hand, I can understand why my loved ones wouldn't want to do that. What if there was a miracle? What if right after they pulled the plug, some new medical invention came around, and they found out that I could have been helped?

The family involved has my deepest sympathy. I can't imagine their pain. I can't imagine their bad luck. They can mourn in any way they see fit... if they can't let her go right away, then I'm not one to judge. I probably wouldn't be able to do it, either.

I don't know how to post this without getting flamed, but I will try. The girl apparently had several issues and the family was advised that the surgery would improve them. I suspect that she wasn't really healthy enough for the surgery. The family keeps saying they want to know why this happened, but have been advised that the longer she is on life support, the less likely the autopsy will be able to tell them why she hemmoraged.

I thought that might be the case.

That being said, I would not go so far as to say that is was not an error on the part of the surgeon anymore than the girl was not healthy enough for surgery.

You just do not know at the moment.

I don't know how to post this without getting flamed, but I will try. The girl apparently had several issues and the family was advised that the surgery would improve them. I suspect that she wasn't really healthy enough for the surgery. The family keeps saying they want to know why this happened, but have been advised that the longer she is on life support, the less likely the autopsy will be able to tell them why she hemmoraged.

I do recall that she had sleep apnea, but I hadn't honestly been following this case that closely until the past couple days. The parents have claimed that there is a green line on the monitor which shows when the ventilator breathes for her, then it supposedly turns pink "SHE" breathes on her own.

It is going to be so horrible when it finally hits them that she is gone.

Again - not trying to get into a religious discussion, but this family is wired to believe that God will take care of them. They might even believe that their God could reverse anything that happens to them with enough faith and given enough time to apply that faith.

Wouldn't it be an even bigger miracle if she arose from the dead. ;)

Looks like they are running out of time. Is that court date for this Monday the 30th.

Hopefully On the 30th this madness will end.

The whole story is so sad and tragic. Deep down we all know that any surgery carries risk, but then you lull yourself into a false sense of security that its a "routine procedure" and everything should be okay. People shouldn't die from getting their tonsils removed. I can't imagine taking my child in for this type of surgery and having this as on outcome.

I really think that this family is making a mistake but I also understand that they are too blinded by their grief right now to see that their little girl needs to be let go. I've seen some people call them selfish and maybe to some extent they are, but I have to feel that its just too hard for them to believe she is gone. I've read that they are deeply religious and they are clinging to their faith that God will perform a miracle. I just don't see it happening. Once you are brain dead, there isn't any coming back from that. I feel so sorry for her family. Then to have their story flashed all over the news and have them face so much scrutiny in the media has got to be terrible.

I'm assuming since she is brain dead that she will have no awareness of what is going on. I hope that she isn't in any pain and isn't suffering and unable to communicate it.

I hope that her family finds peace soon and can make that hard decision to let her go.

I thought that might be the case. That being said, I would not go so far as to say that is was not an error on the part of the surgeon anymore than the girl was not healthy enough for surgery. You just do not know at the moment.

I didn't say it was not possibly error on the hospital's part. However, hemmoraging is a known risk of the surgery and increases as the patient gets older, and this girl had a fairly sizable list of health problems, so I wouldn't be surprised if her health played a part in her rapid deterioration.

I didn't say it was not possibly error on the hospital's part. However, hemmoraging is a known risk of the surgery and increases as the patient gets older, and this girl had a fairly sizable list of health problems, so I wouldn't be surprised if her health played a part in her rapid deterioration.

I think the parents will try to sue. After the plug is pulled.

I am confused about how her heart is still beating. Everything I have read says she is on a ventilator which I though only did the "breathing". If her brain and brain stem are dead how is her heart still beating, and are the rest of her organs still functioning?

My question about the media scrutiny is this.... who leaked the story? I'm sure this type of case is seen all over the country every day yet we don't hear about it on CNN. Did the family leak it for publicity to pressure the hospital? By law, HIPPA, the hospital nor its workers can give out any information about the patient or the situation.

The part about long term care that struck me is that they need consent from the coroner to move her since she is dead and is now under his jurisdiction. THAT might bring it home for me.

I am confused about how her heart is still beating. Everything I have read says she is on a ventilator which I though only did the "breathing". If her brain and brain stem are dead how is her heart still beating, and are the rest of her organs still functioning?

The heart initiates it's own heart beat. Kind if a safety mechanism. Of course without the ventilator she would be deprived of oxygen and then the heart muscle would die causing the heart to stop beating.

There but by the grace of God go I. As a parent I won't judge another parent's grief process.

Forget the stupid rule. How about a link to this story so I can figure out what you all are talking about ::yes::. Please!

Once the matter went to a court I would think a lot of privacy is out the window. Most court records are a matter of public record and news organizations often look at the daily calendars to see if there's something worth covering.

What nursing home, ethically, morally would tell these parents, we will take her? Yea, as long as they are getting paid.

I am very curious to know what caused this to happen, be it an error, a freak circumstance (reaction or complication), or her having poor health going into the surgery. That being said, none of that matters now. Now we have to deal with the situation at hand. While my heart goes out to this family, and it is clear they are overwhelmed and drawing in all the emotion and grief, this child is brain dead. It is time to let her go. She is not going to come back from brain death. While the family is saying the insurance company is willing to pay for it, I have been a nurse long enough to know that is probably not the case. The family is probably fighting with them as well.

There is a point where we insist on keeping people alive for our own selfish needs. Not on purpose I am certain of that, but people do it all the time. IF the person has no quality of life and no way of ever regaining any quality of life, why are we prolonging the inevitable? Because of grief and the inability to come to grips with what is happening. I feel for the family. They can't be rational under the circumstances, no one in this situation could.

What nursing home, ethically, morally would tell these parents, we will take her? Yea, as long as they are getting paid.

They won't be. My guess is that this will be ending tomorrow with the court ruling. Nursing home won't take her without a feeding tube, hospital refuses to put one in. I am certain the insurance company is not going to pay for the surgery, transfer, or long term care. I have a feeling the family is hoping if a doctor or judge orders the surgery it will make the insurance pay for it.

I hope the judge will make the right call and do right by this poor girl. Unfortunately her parents are not capable right now. No one would be in their situation. Terrible.

There are things worse than death.

An IL of mine was in an accident 30 years ago. She was a lovely 23 year old dance major with a brand new degree.

She is not brain dead, but her life is horrible. She is tube fed, cannot walk or even sit up, is in diapers and maybe has the mental capacity of someone 6 months old. Maybe not - as she cannot even sit up.

I only hope she does not have the mental capacity to know her situation.

Keeping someone alive who is brain dead is cruel and unusual punishment.

On the other hand the young man who just won the 2013 Disney Spirit award is a quadriplegic. But he has a wonderful mind, a bright smile and is a joy and inspiration to many. "He" is till there in spite of a body that is damaged.

I did not know that. Kae
Having witnessed a few patients be prepared for organ donation once declared brain dead, yes time of death is based on declaration of brain death. Yes, with meds the body will survive for quite awhile on a ventilator. Insurance is a different mess all in itself. Doctors do not take it lightly declaring brain death....extensive testing is done. I hope this family finds peace soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter