• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

$15 per night for no mousekeeping at FOFQ

We just got back from a two night stay at POFQ followed by a DVC stay. We did decide to opt out as we were in and out of the room all day (we weren't doing any park time) and we were two adults. For our three day stay, it was wonderful not to have to wait to get out of the room for housekeeping to do their job. We are DVC owners and I find this similar to towels and trash service that comes in the middle of your stay. I cant say that I have seen any more bugs in DVC rooms than I have in regular rooms so I am not sure that is a valid argument.

But will Disney really attempt to try to break out of the industry standard with this? Only time will tell.

I have a cousin who's worked for three hotels in the past four years and trust me, Disney is not the only hotel that offers this. And my cousin works at higher end hotels as well. This isn't a Disney thing. This is a general trend a lot of hotels are offering (gifts/money in exchange for bypassing housekeeping).

In fact, when I told my cousin about Disney offering this, his reaction to a surprised me was "Oh all the hotels I've worked for have offered that." So again, this isn't some Disney-only thing.

me and my wife have goen over this and really conflicted, my feeling is to not accept the no house keeping for $15 GC, if there was a option to say reduce it to once every other day i think we would consider it, but then we are comin for a 2 week stay. cant say i agree or dis-agree with disney doing this but its obvious its a lack of staff more than anything, just hope that it doesnt eventually become a suprise extra thing to pay for in years to come. my view is if you are here for a few nights and they say here is a $45 GC its not a bad offer, but for guests staying longer I fail to see the incentive.

So if you want clean towels, you have to call & request them? When they bring them to you, are you then handing the person at your door a pile of dirty towels? Ugh
We've called down to request them. We leave the dirty ones outside the door before we go out for the day. When we come back, they're outside our room in a plastic bag.

It's upsetting to me that so many people are using this ridiculously cheap buyout of Disney not providing services that even the lowest value motels would provide.

Starwood hotels do something similar. You can decline housekeeping for Starwood points or food and beverage vouchers. Other hotel chains do it also. Disney's pretty much handing out cash. I'd take it. Nobody is required to take it though.

When I say breaking the industry standard, I am referring to the possibility of Disney completely cutting out housekeeping and making it an added charge.

Completely cutting out housekeeping unless it is paid for separately will probably not happen. It's done for DVC, but DVC is a timeshare, not a hotel.

I love that they are doing this! I hope it sticks. We frequently decline mousekeeping anyways for a day or two just because we don't like to have a stranger coming into our room if we don't need anything, and honestly it would be no trouble to just call for towels when we needed them! :)

Completely cutting out housekeeping unless it is paid for separately will probably not happen. It's done for DVC, but DVC is a timeshare, not a hotel.
That's what I'm hoping for and feel like will happen. But I still know you can never say never.

I call for extra towels everyday. We use a lot at home and will use the same at Disney. It is one vice that I do have.

...and then the resort rates increase...even more
Possible. But surely there has got to be a ceiling as to what people will pay. You think? What resorts do any of you think that they might be close to hitting that ceiling? (If there are any?)

I agree with the minority. We were offered $15 a day at Pop when checking in recently, but turned it down. I'd rather come back from the parks to a made up and swept room.

I would turn it down as well, part of what's nice about getting away on vacation is having someone else doing the cooking and cleaning! That's why eating out in a restaurant and staying in a hotel are treats and not the norm (in our family at least). I would only maybe turn down housekeeping If I was only staying 2-3 days (and then I'm not even sure I'd do it, I would probably still want housekeeping) but for our 2 week long vacation coming up housekeeping is a must!

I booked SSR through Disney instead of renting points, partly because we wanted to be mousekept. I have occasionally declined it at other hotels, for various reasons, many of them having to do with a very elderly man who wants to take midday naps, but I want to come back to a clean, made-up room after a long day in the parks. I don't leave valuables, and I don't leave personal items lying around, and I'm not worried about the staff rifling through my underwear. Especially at Disney. I do think if it's a regular thing, it probably is more wear and tear on the rooms, but as long as they keep their current upkeep standards, that's really their problem, not mine.

Possible. But surely there has got to be a ceiling as to what people will pay. You think? What resorts do any of you think that they might be close to hitting that ceiling? (If there are any?)

Well, it's a tricky thing because people can shift their money around and pick and choose how and where to spend their money. Have to pay more for the room? We'll eat our breakfast in the room and bring our lunch to the park. Or, eliminate the extras. Or, have shorter stays. Or, come less frequently. The room is just one piece of the overall vacation budget.

I'm not sure if I could take that for a full week vacation at disney but I often leave the DND sign up when I travel for work. Many times then I'm staying 2-4 nights and by myself. I don't eat in the room and I'm not buying much so there is very little trash in the room. I don't make my bed at home and don't care if its made in a hotel really either and I kind of like that normally there aren't people in my room.

Towels aren't a problem either since I'm by myself and the room generally is stocked with towels for at least two people so even for 4 nights that is plenty.

Wow! I hope they're still offering this when I stay at PO:FQ from Sept 2-10. I'm going solo and I'm someone who tends to use towels more than once (I'm as clean as I'm going to get, there's no reason to need a new towel every day!). While I'm torn because I'm also sort of feeling, "Hey, if I'm paying this much a night, I DESERVE clean sheets each day!" But my more rational mind had me considering telling them to not service my room every day, even before I heard about this. So hey, I'll take the money! :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter