15 person family trip mid September- need touring plan advice

disneydawn

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
I have a large 15 person family trip planned for September 11-16. In the past with a large trip for 9 people I used Touring Plans to plan out the days. That seems very difficult now because you can't plug in Fastpass times. I can't wrap my head around all this Genie+ and ILL stuff especially since we will need 2 people booking simultaneously to get all 15 people since there is a limit of how many people you can book at one time. Should I still try to come up with plans via Touring Plans? My fear is that everything will change once we try Genie+ first thing in the morning. I am beyond stressed out about this trip because everyone is looking to me to plan it since it went so well last time. Just found out that my son is very sick and I just don't have the brain capacity for this right now! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. We have park reservations at MK 9/11, HS 9/12, MK 9/13, Epcot 9/14, AK 9/15 and HS 9/16. Staying at OKW so we will have EE and the Deluxe resort late night at Epcot 9/12 and MK 9/14 so I figured those evenings would be good to see the fireworks at those parks and then stay awhile. We are able to rope drop if need be but probably too much to ask to do it every single day. That being said, we will be out the door very early every morning. Once again, any help or insight is greatly appreciated!

Extended hours helps a lot. You can cover a lot of park during that.

You have to decide whether you're going to do the G+ route. And yes, you'll need two people, or at least two devices, to book for everyone. You don't have to do G+ every day, like I didn't find it very useful at AK.

Some rides, like Slinky, are going to be impossible to book on G+ without booking 7AM on the dot. Others, like GOTG, you can pay your way onto no problem if the VQ fails. You have to decide what your group prioritizes, and work around that. Between rope drop, G+, and ILL, you'll be able to do this. It will be fine.

Extended hours helps a lot. You can cover a lot of park during that.

You have to decide whether you're going to do the G+ route. And yes, you'll need two people, or at least two devices, to book for everyone. You don't have to do G+ every day, like I didn't find it very useful at AK.

Some rides, like Slinky, are going to be impossible to book on G+ without booking 7AM on the dot. Others, like GOTG, you can pay your way onto no problem if the VQ fails. You have to decide what your group prioritizes, and work around that. Between rope drop, G+, and ILL, you'll be able to do this. It will be fine.
Thanks! We do have Genie+ already purchased so we can use it if we want to. When we did our last trip with 9 people I paid for Touring Plans and utilized there tools and it was so great. But, now that you don't know what time genie+ will give you it seems impossible to plan. Maybe I should post asking if anyone has used Touring Plans lately.

Thanks! We do have Genie+ already purchased so we can use it if we want to. When we did our last trip with 9 people I paid for Touring Plans and utilized there tools and it was so great. But, now that you don't know what time genie+ will give you it seems impossible to plan. Maybe I should post asking if anyone has used Touring Plans lately.
So I am planning for our large group of 12 (we actually leave in 2 days!). Like you, I depended on Touring Plans for our previous trips and this will also be our first under this new Genie+ system.

I still used TP as I’d done in the past to create a touring plan based on the attractions we prioritized. Then I started tracking the return times for Genie+ LLs, so that I’d know things like how Slinky Dog tends go first and quickly so that return time is mostly likely on the evening. Then I’d modify my touring plan and then re-evaluate, moving other attractions as needed so I’m not zigzagging while also trying to get the best standby waits. My plan is to then aim to get the LL return times in the plan, knowing it’s not perfect. If I get the LLs as planned, then that just means we’ll be “ahead” of the touring plan schedule. At least this way I have a general idea.

We’ll see how it goes in a few days!!!

Having had large groups several times (though not quite as large as yours) I'll note that breaking up your group at times is not a bad idea. Not every minute needs to be scheduled. Some people will need to sleep late or want to spend a day at the pool and hopefully your guests will respect that.

Young people have fun venturing out for snacks or a few rides (think EPCOT). It is nice to give the young folks gift cards for snacks so they have some independence when they are out and about.

With cell phones, you are never lost and sometimes people need some quiet time and space.

Enjoy your trip!

Agree before that the entire party DOES NOT need to stick together the entire trip,……..

So I am planning for our large group of 12 (we actually leave in 2 days!). Like you, I depended on Touring Plans for our previous trips and this will also be our first under this new Genie+ system.

I still used TP as I’d done in the past to create a touring plan based on the attractions we prioritized. Then I started tracking the return times for Genie+ LLs, so that I’d know things like how Slinky Dog tends go first and quickly so that return time is mostly likely on the evening. Then I’d modify my touring plan and then re-evaluate, moving other attractions as needed so I’m not zigzagging while also trying to get the best standby waits. My plan is to then aim to get the LL return times in the plan, knowing it’s not perfect. If I get the LLs as planned, then that just means we’ll be “ahead” of the touring plan schedule. At least this way I have a general idea.

We’ll see how it goes in a few days!!!
Wondering how your trip went and if you were successful with using touring plans and inserting your LL's and re-optimizing. Hope you had a great time!

I was the lead planner for our group of 11 this past spring. Like you, I'd done the planning for a past large-group trip and it went super well, and so I felt a lot of pressure and stress going into the next one, particularly with the changes surrounding Genie+, park hopping, and park reservations.

My best advice is to just relax about it. I know how hard that can be, I am totally Type A when it comes to these things, and I totally understand the pressure you're feeling under the circumstances. Everyone is spending a lot of money, and you feel like it's your responsibility to make sure all goes well. Trust me, IT'S NOT ON YOU. You have a sick kiddo, that is obviously Priority #1. All the other people going on this trip have access to the same resources you do - they can google, research, and plan too, if they're so inclined. IF they are not helping, they cannot complain.

As far as actual tips for making this work for your group, and for you and your mental health, my best advice is this. The whole group does not need to stick together the whole time - not only do they not need to, but it mostly likely won't even be possible if you're using Genie+. Fastpass+ worked SO much better for large groups - Genie+ makes it harder to get back on the same schedule once you split up. Not impossible, but harder. So just go in expecting and being flexible, and you will be fine.

One thing that worked for us is that we are, in general, a group who likes a good afternoon break. So while we may have split up at some point in the morning, if we wanted to spend the evening together, I'd use the afternoon break to book rides for the entire group in those two hour increments. By the time we'd go back to the park after dinner, I'd typically have 3-4 Genie+ experiences all lined up for the group and we could just go from ride to ride.

Also, make everyone responsible for buying their own Genie+ daily BEFORE 7am. We were all linked in MDE, but my rule was that if your Genie+ wasn't bought by the time I went to make my first Genie+ for the day, you're on your own. I was not purchasing Genie+ for a group of 11 and then collecting money for it afterward.

As far as ILL's, talk with your group ahead of time about who wants to do what. That way you know going in how many/who to book for when those ILL days come around. Double check the night before and just get a final headcount.

I did use TouringPlans to plan which days for which parks, and to make our room request, but I didn't even attempt to do a true touring plan with it. With such a large party and the unpredictability of Genie+, it just seemed like a waste of time. Instead, I used an excel spreadsheet to get an idea of which rides and attractions were priority for the group on which days.

I was the lead planner for our group of 11 this past spring. Like you, I'd done the planning for a past large-group trip and it went super well, and so I felt a lot of pressure and stress going into the next one, particularly with the changes surrounding Genie+, park hopping, and park reservations.

My best advice is to just relax about it. I know how hard that can be, I am totally Type A when it comes to these things, and I totally understand the pressure you're feeling under the circumstances. Everyone is spending a lot of money, and you feel like it's your responsibility to make sure all goes well. Trust me, IT'S NOT ON YOU. You have a sick kiddo, that is obviously Priority #1. All the other people going on this trip have access to the same resources you do - they can google, research, and plan too, if they're so inclined. IF they are not helping, they cannot complain.

As far as actual tips for making this work for your group, and for you and your mental health, my best advice is this. The whole group does not need to stick together the whole time - not only do they not need to, but it mostly likely won't even be possible if you're using Genie+. Fastpass+ worked SO much better for large groups - Genie+ makes it harder to get back on the same schedule once you split up. Not impossible, but harder. So just go in expecting and being flexible, and you will be fine.

One thing that worked for us is that we are, in general, a group who likes a good afternoon break. So while we may have split up at some point in the morning, if we wanted to spend the evening together, I'd use the afternoon break to book rides for the entire group in those two hour increments. By the time we'd go back to the park after dinner, I'd typically have 3-4 Genie+ experiences all lined up for the group and we could just go from ride to ride.

Also, make everyone responsible for buying their own Genie+ daily BEFORE 7am. We were all linked in MDE, but my rule was that if your Genie+ wasn't bought by the time I went to make my first Genie+ for the day, you're on your own. I was not purchasing Genie+ for a group of 11 and then collecting money for it afterward.

As far as ILL's, talk with your group ahead of time about who wants to do what. That way you know going in how many/who to book for when those ILL days come around. Double check the night before and just get a final headcount.

I did use TouringPlans to plan which days for which parks, and to make our room request, but I didn't even attempt to do a true touring plan with it. With such a large party and the unpredictability of Genie+, it just seemed like a waste of time. Instead, I used an excel spreadsheet to get an idea of which rides and attractions were priority for the group on which days.
Good information. Thank you! My biggest worry is that we have 15 people and I think the max to book is 12 with Genie+. Correct me if I am wrong.

Good information. Thank you! My biggest worry is that we have 15 people and I think the max to book is 12 with Genie+. Correct me if I am wrong.
I honestly don't know, since we had less than that. Quick google search does look like that's the case, unfortunately. Are any of your party under 3? If so they don't need Genie+ and they wouldn't count toward that number.

If you're over the 12, though, I'd maybe think about managing expectations of how much time you're going to have together in the parks on days you are using Genie+. Maybe on those days, just plan for meals together and plan to try for ILL's at or around the same time so you can meet up for them.

I didn't hate Genie+ the way I thought I would, and in some ways I thought it actually did work better than Fastpass+. But it was tough for a group.

Wondering how your trip went and if you were successful with using touring plans and inserting your LL's and re-optimizing. Hope you had a great time!

It actually went really well, and better than expected! My over-planning came in handy in the sense that I was able to more or less predict LL availability. TP was my "hope" and then I just adjusted on the go depending on LL availability. We actually did more LLs than stand-by lines over the trip. I wrote a (too long and very detailed) trip report HERE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter