16 Night Quadruple Split - am I nuts??

I say go for it! - We did our first split stay last December and loved it. (We did POFQ, then left property to spend Christmas with family, then did AKL. Click here -> Mini Trip Report)

If I were able to do 16 nights and wasn't sure when I'd be back, I'd choose:
An MK resort - Poly & GF are on my wish list, but CR is super convenient if you like the style
An Epcot Resort - I haven't done YC or BC yet, so listen to the others! (Epcot & DHS)
Universal - Hard Rock or Royal Pacific, depending on which appeals to you
then end at AKL (AK & Disney Springs)

This allows you to use Magical Express from/to the airport on both ends and also solves the 14 day problem, because Disney will consider it two different trips. - You should be able to book ADRs and FP+ for each when you hit the separate windows.

As far as the order I chose, It allows for the magic of MK to open the trip, and saves the special request of AKL for the end so there's always something to look forward to. (But, if snagging a great time for FOP at AK is a must, you could switch your Epcot resort and AKL, so AK will be later in your window.)

As for how many days at each, I'm torn between 4 nights at each or 4/5/3/4. I guess it depends on whether you want to do Volcano Bay at Universal?

You'll obviously need to move on your own for the Universal portion of your trip, but you can use a taxi/Uber or rent a car from the Disney Car Care Center. (They'll pick you up at the resort you're leaving and take you to the CCC to do the paperwork, then when you return it, they'll take you over to your new resort.)

Group your park days according to where you're staying, and make sure you leave some down time at each resort as well - especially AKL!!

P.S. - Pack one of those hanging shoe bags for your toiletries and stuff. That way you can just fold it over into a suitcase each time you move and hang it right back up in the new place!

Last edited:
Hi all - planning our 1st trip to WDW in early summer 2021. This will be the trip of a lifetime for my 15 year old step-daughter, her friend, and me. We are planning on staying 16 nights as I honestly have no idea when (or if) I will be able to return and want to make the most of our visit. That being said, I am really struggling with all of the amazing resort options. I would absolutely love to be able to stay in each of the 3 main park areas. We also have our hearts set on Animal Kingdom Lodge for at least part of the stay. So, I am entertaining the option of a 4-resort split which would give us 4 nights in 4 different resorts. So here were my initial thoughts:

Animal Kingdom Lodge - 1st 4 nights
Yacht Club - 2nd 4 nights
Wilderness Lodge - 3rd 4 nights
Contemporary or Polynesian - Last 4 nights

Other considerations include Beach Club or Gran Destino Tower for the 2nd 4 nights. Possibly even the 1st 2 nights at Universal (Hard Rock Hotel). So as you can see, I’m struggling with all of these choices and would welcome input! First, am I nuts for even considering 4 hotels in 16 nights? Second, any advice on our narrowed list of choices? Thanks in advance for the replies!

Sounds fun, my one tip would be that WL and Poly are about the same distance from MK (by boat - WL has no monorail) and while the theme is a little different, the resorts are similar. I give the edge to WL on decor and feel and the amenities but both are awesome. Contemporary is also one of the Magic Kingdom resorts. If you want to limite the moves by one split AKL, YC, WL/Poly/Cont... Otherwise go for it as is... Sounds like a great time! I am sure you thought of this but you should look at a season pass if you are staying that many days - likey cheaper.

We are big fans of splits - did 3 resorts in 11 nights last year and 3 in 9 this year. However, I’d cut yours down a little simply because it’s your first trip. I was going to recommend 8 at YC or BC and 8 at Poly or Contemporary to get the best of both worlds with the Epcot and MK areas. I saw that AKL is a must do for you, which I get - that was one of ours last year! In that case I’d do 4 at AKL then 6 and 6 at an Epcot and MK resort. That will give you enough time to really get a feel for each area.

Hi all - planning our 1st trip to WDW in early summer 2021. This will be the trip of a lifetime for my 15 year old step-daughter, her friend, and me. We are planning on staying 16 nights as I honestly have no idea when (or if) I will be able to return and want to make the most of our visit. That being said, I am really struggling with all of the amazing resort options. I would absolutely love to be able to stay in each of the 3 main park areas. We also have our hearts set on Animal Kingdom Lodge for at least part of the stay. So, I am entertaining the option of a 4-resort split which would give us 4 nights in 4 different resorts. So here were my initial thoughts:

Other considerations include Beach Club or Gran Destino Tower for the 2nd 4 nights. Possibly even the 1st 2 nights at Universal (Hard Rock Hotel). So as you can see, I’m struggling with all of these choices and would welcome input! First, am I nuts for even considering 4 hotels in 16 nights? Second, any advice on our narrowed list of choices? Thanks in advance for the replies!

I would consolidate the WDW resorts down to 3. AKL, an EP area resort (take Gran Destino of the list if this is once in a lifetime, IMHO) and an MK area resort (CR, Poly or WL). If you add in HRH, yes, 2 nights is enough IMHO. I would break the nights down depending on how long you will spend in each park. If you will spend more time in MK, book more nights in that area. More in EP/DHS? Book more nights there. If this is a one-and-done, yeah, I would split it up, but, unless you are spending more than one day in AK, I probably wouldn't do more than 3 nights in AKL.

I would absolutely do it, and probably add a couple more resorts in, but then I never stay in the same place for long if I can help it.

Throwing your stuff back in your suitcase can be done in abut 10 minutes. Just plan on the "moving" days being park days. Drop off your bags with bell services on your way to the parks in the morning and pick them up at the new hotel later that afternoon. Easy peasy!

But of course everybody enjoys different things. Some like to settle in for the duration of the trip and would hate this. You have to decide what would be fun for YOU. But since you came up with this idea, you would probably enjoy it. Ask the girls what they think. My kids love resort hopping. Our personal record is four resorts in a five-night stay.

IMO, yes, you are nuts. For me, I'd never feel like I was unpacked, settled in, and able to relax. I am not a "live out of a suitcase" kind of girl... I tend to unpack if we are staying anyplace more than one night. I like to settle in and feel like I am at home. I'd feel like I was always on the road, always moving, packing and unpacking and packing again. Personally, I'd do AKL (partial savannah view room was better than the savanna view we paid way more for) for the whole trip, or MAYBE split between AKL and BWI. If you really want to move around, I'd pick 3: AKL, one in the MK area, one in the Epcot area. But it's a lot of moving, and could be a lot of time when you don't have a room available when you are tired, hot, and sweaty. Also, don't over-anticipate the "fun new experiences" in each resort. Bottom line, at the end of the day, they are all now just hotels with pools. (It used to be different, back in the day, but there is a lot of stuff that Disney just doesn't do anymore... but that's a rant for another thread on another day!)

We love split stays, but four different stays is a lot. Once you get settled at one resort, it will be time to pack up and move to another. We are going for two weeks next summer, and we are splitting our time evenly between two resorts. We would be miserable if we moved more than once.

That sounds extremely stressful to me, and I'm also a light-packer and "can live out of a suitcase" person. If I "have" to be in Orlando that long, I would stay at WDW for 11 nights and at Universal for 5 nights, going to Sea World one day using Universal free shuttle.
I'm partial to AKL and GF due to the theming. At Universal, I like to stay at Hard Rock because of its proximity to the parks. My favorite resort at Universal is actually the Royal Pacific.

Moving once per trip is enough for me. I definitely would see moving more than that as taking away from my experience, not adding to it.

I'd personally choose 2 resorts, based on the rooms and the pools, since they are the only parts of any resort that are only for guests staying at that resort. I'd do 8 nights in each of those, and during my trip, I'd go check out the other 2 resorts, to eat a meal or two, partake in activities (other than those involving the pool areas), and/or just to stroll the grounds if desired. :)

We are the type that stays for a long time and unpacks everything. I try and make it as homey as possible.

I am trying our 1st split stay this year. We are staying 3 nights at the Destino Tower at CSR and then to our BWV "home".

I will try and not to unpack everything for our 1st three nights, so the move to the BW will be easier.

A four split stay is too much packing, too much waiting for a new home.

Last edited:
The max I would do is 2 resorts, about a week at each one. I would do 3 only if the 3rd was a couple nights at a Universal hotel for a Universal portion of the trip.

I think for a first trip and possibly only trip you’re going to be wanting to spend so much time in the parks that switching resorts that often is going to become a hassle. Personally I would do the back half at AKL since your hearts are set on it, and the front half at whichever one of YC or BC appeals to you most. Either of those 3 are great for resort only days giving you plenty to do outside the parks. You’d also be close to 3/4 parks. While being on the monorail is awesome and I love it, it does make getting to Epcot a pain the butt, so since you have your heart set on AKL, I’d pick an Epcot area resort over MK for the other resort. I think monorail to Epcot is more inconvenient than bussing to MK. I’d visit the other resorts for meals so you can experience them if you’d like.

We are the type that stays for a long time and unpacks everything. I try and make it as homey as possible.

I am trying our 1st split stay this year. We are staying 3 nights at the Destino Tower at CSR and then to our BBW "home".

I will try and not to unpack everything for our 1st three nights, so the move to the BW will be easier.

A four split stay is too much packing, too much waiting for a new home.
What is BBW?

Another thing to consider is the potential discounts that can or can not come with packages. Splitting the stay may make it harder. So, this far out- it is good to plan what you want to do but also be open to consolidating hotels if there's free dining or whatever

No way I’d switch that many times. In our experience moving hotels is essentially a loss of time and waiting to get in your room. We also never seem to get in our room early and are also waiting late afternoon early evening to get in and unpacked. I understand why you want to want to do it, I just wouldn’t recommend doing it that many times. Pick two resorts and split stay between. Depending on what time of year( for pool use , etc). might determine which resorts to stay at.

We’ve done 4 resorts in 7 days and it’s honestly not that bad, but everyone is different. We are two adults and it’s easy to just stay packed, besides a few toiletries and phone chargers...

I love trying out different resorts and being able to plan our park days with where we are staying.

The only con is the “homeless” time but you are in WDW there’s so much to do, and it’s only a few hours.

Boardwalk has been my favorite so far, and Contemporary is on my wish list.

Trying out POLY & GDT on our next trip where we are doing 3 resorts in 4 nights😂😂

Last edited:
I haven't read through all of these so this may have already been suggested, but what about a split stay with fewer resorts and have a a day to tour all the other resorts you are interested in. We love to go visit each resort. Sometimes we take a day and go resort hoping, eat and take it easy. With 16 days at Disney, surely you will be ready for a non park day at some point. At least that's one way to see and experience different places without the hassle of packing, unpacking, moving, waiting for a room..... Whatever you decide, 16 days at Disney sounds amazing. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

For a 16 night stay I’d recommend 3 different resorts, not 4.
I’d break it up like this....

3 nights
10 nights
3 nights

We like to have a long stay at one in the middle. Where we relax and unpack. We usually choose the cheaper resort for the longer stay, and then we add a deluxe to the beginning and end. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter