17 days in Japan & Tokyo Disney PTR

Awesome....joining along! :)

Thanks! I feel like I'm putting a lot into the research and writing it all down in the blog. It's nice to know someone out there - besides my mom will be reading along!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Looks like an amazing trip. Congrats!

Thanks! I think I've gotten 3 hours of sleep every night since we found out about this trip. There's just so much to learn. I've been reading books, researching on the net every spare minute I get!

Woo hoo! Congrats on your upcoming trip. Can't wait to read more about it, and definitely look forward to you coming back and seeing your TR. :cool1:

Your plans look great. I'm returning to Japan this week for work. Last year I visited most of the places you are visiting.

I'm glad you're choosing Hiroshima. I think it's a must for anyone going to Japan. If you have time, stop in the museum (it's right at the park). It is well worth your time and gives a lot more detail than the many monuments in the park do.

Miyajima was my favorite spot in all of Japan. It's magical. Be ready for the deer!

Try the vending machines. Red label drinks are warm--I became addicted to the hot tea. Disneyland even has some of the cool vending machines!

Ad wait till you walk in a store. The clerks never stop yelling and calling out to customers, even in Disney!

I really want to go to Japan myself. I had a friend who lived there for about 3 years, I'm hoping to get him to come along, as he knows a good deal of Japanese (but I'll still learn some more myself).

Woo hoo! Congrats on your upcoming trip. Can't wait to read more about it, and definitely look forward to you coming back and seeing your TR. :cool1:

Thanks! I can't wait to experience Japan! I'm sure I will take thousands of photos with my DSLR....I was considering bringing a lighter camera but, then I thought the whole reason I bought my DSLR was for experiences like this - so, I will lug it along! I typically. Take thousands of photos on any given vacation so, I can only imagine how many I'll end up with. Therefore, my TR will be loaded with photos

Your plans look great. I'm returning to Japan this week for work. Last year I visited most of the places you are visiting.

I'm glad you're choosing Hiroshima. I think it's a must for anyone going to Japan. If you have time, stop in the museum (it's right at the park). It is well worth your time and gives a lot more detail than the many monuments in the park do.

Miyajima was my favorite spot in all of Japan. It's magical. Be ready for the deer!

Try the vending machines. Red label drinks are warm--I became addicted to the hot tea. Disneyland even has some of the cool vending machines!

Ad wait till you walk in a store. The clerks never stop yelling and calling out to customers, even in Disney!

Oh...reading your post totally makes me even more excited for my trip! Hiroshima is quite an expensive tour ($350) but I know this is a once in a lifetime trip for me so I want to go there.

The vending machines logo so cool- I not e a lot of TR's and blogs have photos of them. Not sure how many hot drinks I'll want in August, but I will definitely be trying some cold ones :)

I see you won't get to go on the Harajuku tour. Harajuku is actually fairly simple to get around if you want to shop. It also depends on what you're looking for, since Harajuku is the center of Japanese street fashion. This map that Omotesando Hills provides is a simple representation of the area.

I usually get off at Harajuku Station, walk down Takesh ita Dori, make a right onto Meiji St and check out Laforet, and then walk back to Harajuku station by making a right on Omotesando St to head back to the station, but if you want to check out Omotesando Hills and more high fashion, take a left.

This is assuming you want to brave the trains. :) I also only mentioned the JR Yamanote line, Harajuku station. You'll notice other stations mentioned on the map, but I'm not sure if you'd want to try understand the Tokyo Metro subway stations, too.

I see you won't get to go on the Harajuku tour. Harajuku is actually fairly simple to get around if you want to shop. It also depends on what you're looking for, since Harajuku is the center of Japanese street fashion. This map that Omotesando Hills provides is a simple representation of the area.

I usually get off at Harajuku Station, walk down Takesh ita Dori, make a right onto Meiji St and check out Laforet, and then walk back to Harajuku station by making a right on Omotesando St to head back to the station, but if you want to check out Omotesando Hills and more high fashion, take a left.

This is assuming you want to brave the trains. :) I also only mentioned the JR Yamanote line, Harajuku station. You'll notice other stations mentioned on the map, but I'm not sure if you'd want to try understand the Tokyo Metro subway stations, too.

Thank you for the great map! I will most likely visit Harajuku on my own. I am feeling more comfortable with the idea of using the trains. I will do my best with maps/directions. I'm sure the hotel staff will point me in the right direction or I can ask our tour guides for advice on days where we have optional tours.

@disneychic, I have found the trains really manageable even though I cannot read Japanese. One thing that is helpful is to get a Pasmo or Suica pass, they are great. Also on the train platforms, look for the diagram showing the train car numbers and you can see which "train car" is best for transfers and also for elevator and escalator access. On some of the trains, they have women only cars and are usually indicated by pink on the platform at the entrance to the train/subway. At the major stations like Shinagawa they have print maps of the JR train system which is different than the Tokyo Metro system. The Pasmo and Suica work on both. Have fun!!

@disneychic, I have found the trains really manageable even though I cannot read Japanese. One thing that is helpful is to get a Pasmo or Suica pass, they are great. Also on the train platforms, look for the diagram showing the train car numbers and you can see which "train car" is best for transfers and also for elevator and escalator access. On some of the trains, they have women only cars and are usually indicated by pink on the platform at the entrance to the train/subway. At the major stations like Shinagawa they have print maps of the JR train system which is different than the Tokyo Metro system. The Pasmo and Suica work on both. Have fun!!

Thanks! I was contemplating The Pasma or Suica but not sure which? One of them is usable for the monorail right??

Sounds like it will be an awesome trip.

I am no expert by any means, but if you found out about econnect SIM cards from my TR - just make sure your cell phone will work. Mine did as it was from Australia, but I think the US cell phones work off a different band width.

You will have no trouble with the portable wifi and you can use this with a laptop or ipad as well if you are taking one. We found the battery on ours did not hold charge for a full day. I think you can buy or hire extra batteries.

Try and plan your Disney park days outside of weekends if you can.

Oh and I think pasma and suica are interchangeable. Either will work on the monorail.

For where you're traveling, Suica and Pasmo are virtually the same, so either is fine.

Thanks! I can't wait to experience Japan! I'm sure I will take thousands of photos with my DSLR....I was considering bringing a lighter camera but, then I thought the whole reason I bought my DSLR was for experiences like this - so, I will lug it along! I typically. Take thousands of photos on any given vacation so, I can only imagine how many I'll end up with. Therefore, my TR will be loaded with photos

We came home from a 6 day TDL and TDS trip with over 6000 photos on the DSLR - have fun!

PASMO and Suica will work anywhere. Now you even use them elsewhere in Japan because as of last month, the systems in most major cities (including Kyoto, Tokyo, Osaka, and Hiroshima) have been connected.

I just returned last night (and was in Disneyland yesterday in fact!).

Also most US phones do work in Japan. It's the very old ones which do not. However, I rented a pocket WiFi for my trip and loved having it. I had my iPhone, my laptop, and my son's phone and ipad all connected. We used it extensively.

Wow! You are all amazing! Thank you for the amazing amount of information you have given me. It is very much appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter