17 year old considered adult?

Am I interpreting it wrong, but they can’t go until he’s 18 no matter what. Since he’s under 18, there must be at least one other person in the cabin 21+, and she’s not. I don’t get the impression anyone but the 2 of them were going.
I thought there were exceptions for people who were married and one of them was under 18 and the other was under 21. But that doesn’t apply here.

I think they also make exceptions when a parent isn’t 21 and is traveling with their own child.
Yeah, I think OP is hoping for an exception on the room. But I agree that DCL has been pretty limited on what they grant for exceptions in the case of a minor and it may not work out for them anyway.

My fiancé and I are considering booking a Disney cruise however we want to go when I will be 18 and he will be 17 (We were both really looking forward to dining at Palo, spa treatments, and more but if he's considered a teen and I'm considered an adult,

While I'm sure the OP's intentions are honest, and she is a nice person. I hate posts from people who think it's ok that their minors (aged 1-17) should be an exception to the adults only area rule. "Its only a small exception if you let me. My kids (or 17 yo finance) are well behaved" But if its ok for you, it's ok for every other child on the ship. Can we go to Palo? No. Can we go to Serenity Bay? No. Can we use the adult pool? No. Can we use the spa? No.

Not to be harsh, but No. If you want to visit the adult areas of the ship, please plan your cruise when you're both 18. That said, if he really is a few months shy of his 18th birthday and you don't do anything to draw attention to the fact, no one will know or care if you use the adult pool or Serenity Bay. Palo and the Spa however, will know actually how old the 17 year old is and turn him away.

That said, DCL is amazing and you can have a great cruise just in the family areas of the boat. However, the rules apply to equally to you as everyone else on the ship or there won't be any adult only areas on the ship.

As many other posters have said, if you want to do what you say you do, plan the trip after his birthday.

No, you'll have to wait awhile longer for your Disney cruise. Oh, well. Take a domestic trip in the meantime, and thank your lucky stars that you (I'm taking your word for this) found true love so early in life.

At 35? wow...happens often at the bars but at the adult pool area?... not saying it doesn't happen just that I've seen folks that look 16-20 without anyone approaching them..

Heck there was a baby in a stroller there for over an hour last time I sailed... no chairs to be had so we swung by later. Still nowhere to sit that time either... baby was still in the same spot with the parents.

Even if by some chance you were told you could have an exception, you'd have to spend the cruise explaining that to everyone in each new area of the ship. That sounds like something that could detract from a trip to me. Plus, I truly don't think they'll make an exception of the sort you're hoping for. Why is there a hurry to sail before you are both considered to be adults?

Is it possible that either of your parents are willing to cruise with you? Or older siblings, relatives...? Not to share your room but sail on the same cruise? If so, the parents/older relatives can reserve two rooms and the two of you can sail without worrying about the over 18 age rule.

Your finance will not be able to eat in Palo's or visit the adults only areas but you will still have a great time being on a Disney cruise.

I hope you are able to cruise soon and I hope you write a trip report about your adventures.

Smiles!

What a great problem to have. Maybe if you were married or emancipated there would be more room for exceptions.

At 35? wow...happens often at the bars but at the adult pool area?... not saying it doesn't happen just that I've seen folks that look 16-20 without anyone approaching them..

I saw it happen to 2 girls on the Magic. I think - just from what I could determine - that one was legitimately 18 but the other was not and they thought they could just use the "She left her card in our cabin" thing, but no. They were told that without seeing the card the one without it could not stay.

DD, who was 20 at the time, was carded when we tried to enter the bbq at Serenity Bay. So, they do check. She was carded a total of 5 times on a 4 night cruise.

I saw it happen to 2 girls on the Magic. I think - just from what I could determine - that one was legitimately 18 but the other was not and they thought they could just use the "She left her card in our cabin" thing, but no. They were told that without seeing the card the one without it could not stay.
This happened to my wife on our honeymoon cruise. It was our first cruise ever so we had no idea about how strict they would be regarding the age restriction. My wife was relaxing on a lounger in the quiet cove while
I was in the pool when a CM came up and asked for her key to the world. Unfortunately, she did in fact leave it in the room. She quickly called me over and we were able to get them to let us stay after I showed the cast member my Id plus pictures from our wedding the day before.

This happened to my wife on our honeymoon cruise. It was our first cruise ever so we had no idea about how strict they would be regarding the age restriction. My wife was relaxing on a lounger in the quiet cove while
I was in the pool when a CM came up and asked for her key to the world. Unfortunately, she did in fact leave it in the room. She quickly called me over and we were able to get them to let us stay after I showed the cast member my Id plus pictures from our wedding the day before.

You got very lucky. They would have been well within their rights to require her to go and get it.

My daughter, who was over 18, was approached by a CM in the Cove Cafe. Apparently someone in Cove complained. 🤷 But, in any event, your KTTW card will have an "A" on it to indicate "Adult"

EDIT: As pointed out by CM Dad below. B for 18 to 21, A for over 21 and over.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter