• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

18 days in the Making - A Veteran Disser's First Ever Trip Report

mickeyfan0805

DIS Veteran
At 5am on Wednesday, August 4, we rolled the kids out of bed and drove off before dawn to beat the Chicago traffic as we headed south for an 18 day, nearly 3,000 mile, journey to three Florida destinations. In the coming days, I’ll share a few memories, and a handful of pictures, following the lead of others who post just a day or two at a time. In total, I expect that this trip report will take much of the next two weeks to be complete.

To be fair, I don’t have the photography skills of some of our best posters on this board (taking pictures is not something I always think to do), and I certainly don’t have the historical prowess of those the likes of Bama Ed, but we had a wonderful trip, and it will be a joy to share some thoughts and pictures from our first big family trip since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Now, on to the trip’s beginnings…

In total, I expect that this trip report will take much of the next two weeks to be complete.

Thanks for the warning, Marty. I'll choose the long, slow popcorn route then.

.... and I certainly don’t have the historical prowess of those the likes of Bama Ed ....

His wife says that he posts too much. :duck:

I'm assuming that since this TR is on the Community board that the Fort/WDW is not one of the destinations? That's actually cool. I like seeing the rest of Florida.

Please continue.

Ed

I'm assuming that since this TR is on the Community board that the Fort/WDW is not one of the destinations? That's actually cool. I like seeing the rest of Florida.

Please continue.

Ed

Actually, the Fort is part of it, but more than half the trip is outside the Fort, so I put it here - maybe not the best option, IDK the protocol.

Nonetheless, I will continue as soon as I figure out how to get picture to post. Having a real battle with that right now!

Last edited:

Ok - I think I got it...

The Trip Down:

The drive down was pleasantly uneventful. Early mornings to beat traffic led to early arrivals and pleasant evenings as we stopped for the night. Of note is that the drive was just me, DD16, DD15 and DS12. DW had to work the weekend, so we left early to have a few adventures and she joined us a few days later.

Night 1 was a stay at the Clarksville RV Park in Clarksville, TN. A campground I’d seen mentioned by others on this board, it was a nice stop for the evening. The sites were tighter than I’d want for a longer stay, but the staff was very pleasant and everything was well-kept. Interestingly, just up the road is Fort Campbell, home of the Screaming Eagles (Army Air Assault Division). We didn’t see any fighters, but there were heavy choppers doing training runs all night long. Sorry, no pics.

It was, however, the one and only campfire of the 18-day trip (campground restrictions and heat made it untenable the rest of the time). Their open-sided fire rings create quite the airflow for a roaring fire...

We had spread our drive out pretty well, so day 2 was our longest day at only 540 miles. The trip through TN and GA went smoothly and included an impromptu stop at Adcock Pecans in GA. They had a nice, covered parking spot for RV’s and busses, and we picked up some delicious nuts and treats for the road!

The night was spent at the Jennings KOA in Jennings, FL. A well-kept campground run by a very nice couple that seemed the victim of very unfortunate circumstance. The campground is right off 75, just south of the GA/FL line, and is gathered around a central pond. The pool and buildings are very well maintained, and it is a truly enjoyable campground.

We were surprised, as we pulled in, to see that the campground was nearly empty. When we arrived, there were probably 6-8 campers on site. By the end of the night, that might have risen to 12-15, but certainly no more. Unfortunately, the area around the campground has fallen into complete disarray. The motel that used to exist across the street is abandoned, with old furniture piled at the end of the driveway to block access. Multiple other abandoned buildings can be found at this same exit. And, the only gas station in the area was in complete disrepair with no functional card readers at the pumps. It seems that the campground is the diamond in the rough, and I pray the owners are able to make a go of it in less-than-ideal surroundings.

Anyway, heavy rains made cooking outdoors unrealistic, so we headed north back up to Valdosta and had a so-so dinner at the Farmhouse Restaurant before heading to bed and on to our first destination.

Attachments

• IMG_2176d.jpg
    IMG_2176d.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 2
Night 1 was a stay at the Clarksville RV Park in Clarksville, TN. A campground I’d seen mentioned by others on this board, it was a nice stop for the evening. The sites were tighter than I’d want for a longer stay.
If you were in the pull throughs up front, they are tight, but work out well for an overnight stop. If I was staying longer, I would definitely get a site towards the back.

For others, this is our usual "after work" stop when we leave in the afternoon heading south/east.

20210604_182703_copy_2304x1296.jpg

j

giphy-downsized.gif

I stayed at that Jennings KOA for a one night stop-over back in March 2021, mickeyfan0805, on the way to Jetty Park on the Atlantic Coast.

To me there is something magical about being in Florida versus staying back a few miles in Georgia when you are on vacation. Our location was down by the pool house.

It was good for what it was. Easy on, easy off, not too expensive.

Please continue.

Bama Ed

St. Augustine, FL – Day 1

With DW unable to join us for the opening weekend, we decided to take an extra couple of nights at the beach on our way down. Based on recommendations from our experts here on the camping forum (couldn’t find the thread, so I can’t give credit where credit’s due – sorry), we decided on the North Beach Camp Resort, just north of St. Augustine, FL. After enduring a torrential downpour while crossing I10, we pulled in just after 1p and quickly got set-up in our site. Tree-lined, fairly private, and sand based – this was a really nice place to camp!

We quickly got changed and headed to the beach that is right across the street. There is parking lot limited only to campers and the adjacent restaurant, and the area is far enough north of town that the crowds are extraordinarily light.

There was even room for some horses to ride along…

The kids had never done a beach on the southern Atlantic coast, and the temps and the waves were a HUGE hit. DD16 and DS12 could have spent hours in there. DD15 was busy soaking in the rays on the beach.

After a couple of hours, it was time to head back to camp for dinner. We’ve really enjoyed my new Blackstone 22” griddle this year, and an early favorite is naan flatbread pizzas. The kids had dug well into theirs by the time I finished mine, so I only have the one pic…

By the time we finished dinner, the evening was coming to a close. The campground rests on a peninsula with the Atlantic to the east and the Tolomato River to the west – with the campground extending from the beach road on the east to the river on the west. What a perfect opportunity to catch a glimpse of the sunset over the river before we settled in for the night…

St. Augustine, FL – Day 2

As many likely know, St. Augustine boasts itself as the oldest ‘continuously occupied’ city in the United States. Dating back to 16th century Spanish settlements, the city shares rich history and stunning architecture. The kids took an uncommon interest in seeing the city – so we headed into town first thing in the morning before the temperatures got too warm and the crowds too heavy.

The Castillo de San Marcos – a bay-side fort with a history of use by a number of countries in the 16th – 19th centuries – was our first stop…

Then, as we wandered through town, we came across Cousteau’s Waffles and Milkshakes. The kids enjoyed their shakes, and I was very happy with a nice morning waffle…

St. Augustine, FL – Day 2.2

Just learned that I can only have 10 pics per post, so here we go...

Much of the 19th century history of St. Augustine involves a son of a preacher turned oil tycoon named Henry Flagler, who amassed a fortune as a partner in Standard Oil with the likes of J.D. Rockefeller. After losing his first wife who died at the age of 47, Flagler remarried and eventually relocated to St. Augustine with his second wife – at which point he embraced his personal conviction that Florida could become a major tourist destination, and pursued the goal of developing the tourism and transportation industry in St. Augustine. A flagship of that effort was the Hotel Ponce de Leon, which opened in 1888. That very hotel, and multiple surrounding buildings, now make up the beautiful campus that is Flagler College.

We wandered through some of the shops in the area, and came across the oldest wooden schoolhouse in the country…

Then it was off for a nice lunch at The Oasis, and back to the beach for some afternoon fun. Our final event of St. Augustine was something DD15 had wanted to do for a long time – a ghost tour. It was a fun twist on a city tour that framed much of the history in stories of mystery, death, ghosts, and more.

We learned, on the tour, that the old jail (made to look more like a church) has ghost hunting explorations each evening. DD15 is clamoring to return for that next year!

With that, it was back to the campground for the night, and off to Orlando in the morning!

When you go back to St Augustine some day, take the Flagler College tour for a few dollars that focuses on the history of the building and its architecture. That's on my to-do list.

Then take the family and clime the StA Lighthouse. It's just across the big bridge next to the old Fort about 1 mile on the left back in a neighborhood.

Great start on the TR.

Ed

Love it so far, i haven't been anywhere down south camping wise, or cultural wise for that matter. Its nice seeing things that would otherwise be unknown to me. And it may make me take.a futre trip!

I make the same pizzas on the blackstone! Lol. The kido loves them.

St. Augustine, FL – Day 1
We decided on the North Beach Camp Resort, just north of St. Augustine, FL.
We stayed at North Beach Camp resort. My daughter said it reminded her of Jurassic Park.
Thanks for the pics. We are considering staying somewhere in North FL for a week this January and tie it on to our Fort trip. Still looking for a place to retire. We are considering St. Augustine area or Apalachicola (Port St. Joe/St George Island area). Haven't stayed in either place before. Definitely not in the winter. The pics look great. I know there is Ocean Grove CG south of St. A that a friend on a Fb group recommends.

j

Thanks for the pics. We are considering staying somewhere in North FL for a week this January and tie it on to our Fort trip. Still looking for a place to retire. We are considering St. Augustine area or Apalachicola (Port St. Joe/St George Island area). Haven't stayed in either place before. Definitely not in the winter. The pics look great. I know there is Ocean Grove CG south of St. A that a friend on a Fb group recommends.

j

@Teamubr, I see you and DW as charter members of the Lake Nona 55+ Disney Seniorz Klub! :cool1:

https://movingtoorlando.com/disney/...in-talks-to-develop-age-restricted-community/

Sounds like it's right up your alley.

Hope the HOA rules let you put a 30A plug in a side driveway to accommodate "temporary overnight guests" :rolleyes1 for stays up to 30 days.

I know a guy who might be interested in booking 30. :rolleyes:

me

PS - but you should still go check out the StA area where @mickeyfan0805 was.

Last edited:
When you go back to St Augustine some day, take the Flagler College tour for a few dollars that focuses on the history of the building and its architecture. That's on my to-do list.

Then take the family and clime the StA Lighthouse. It's just across the big bridge next to the old Fort about 1 mile on the left back in a neighborhood.

Great start on the TR.

Ed
And be sure to stop at O'Steen's for some fried shrimp and coconut cream pie! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter