C.Ann

<font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font
Was reading an article in the Orlando Senteniel the other day about SM being closed for an indefinite period of time in DL for refurbishing..

The article then went on to say that a spokesperson for Disney World confirmed that SM will be closing for an indefinite period of time in their Orlando park as well but would not reveal when or for how long..

Just a heads up for those that are SM fans..

WDW's Splash was down for refurb when I was there in January. Unless there's a major problem, I can't imagine it closing during the hotter, busier months.

DL's SM is closed through Sprink Break, and maybe closed thorughout the summer (see other thread with DL/DCA updates). Disney feels it needs to implement new restraints ASAP, so if they only did it on one version, they could be open to questions and greater liability on the other version the longer they leave it open. So while this is the first info I've seen that directly talks about MK's Splash, I would not be surprised if its true.

Hopefully, WDW can hold off until Fall, but I wouldn't be so sure they will.

WDW's splash uses entirely different Ride Vehicles, the concerns may be different and offset by this.

Yes, that's a good point. They are different and maybe WDW's won't have to be modified. But the OS article isn't a good sign. Hopefully, they are wrong.

I know they were putting new restraints in the ride cars at SplashM in DL - there was a terrible accident at a different water park when we were in CA last November and I think it prompted some quick changes for several things.

Having rode both in WDW and DL - I will say that I feel much safer at WDW, plus the ride is just themed better there. On the flip side though - SpaceM - I much prefer at DL.

In spring break '00, when I went to Disney, it had info on M:S before anybody knew the name or what it will be like.

Perhaps it is for insurance issues, putting in restraints. A man was killed at WDW on Splash a year or two ago when he got out of the car for some reason and tried to find an exit. He fell and got crushed between 2 logs. I am an underwriter for an insurance company and I could see them requiring this ASAP to prevent another occurrence. They have put air gates onto a lot of rides lately (BTMRR, PoC), so they are looking to improve safety.

This may seem callous, but I can't believe that the theme park industry is being pressured into installing all these new-fangled safety requirements on simple rides. For over 50 years, log flumes have been running perfectly fine without any type of restraint (ah ha - physics actually works). Yet, in recent years, whether it be because of a lack of parental restraint or a lack of intelligence, more and more injuries have been occuring. This is a log flume, folks. We're not talking about some loop-de-loop thing here. I'm sorry, but I just can't see why Disney (and every other theme park, for that matter) is feeling pressured to do this. A guy gets up out of the log flume and dies...I apologize again for sounding uncaring, but that, to me, is just plain old stupidity.

I guess my rant is done.

RyMickey

Working for an insurance company, a good deal of claims I see are from "stupidity". Unfortunately (?), stupidity is not excluded on policies. Therefore, you have to try to protect against it, especially at a place where children are involved. The courts will make huge awards against companies "with deep pockets" such as Disney.

The lady who was killed in California (can't remember what park) was on a log flume type ride where the ride vehicle went up a large hill and down a steep drop - she fell out at the top as the ride began to drop - she wasn't trying to get up or out or being stupid - it was an accident. Apparently she was somewhat large and without the seatbelt the momentum forced her out of the seat - where she plummited to her death in front of her small children. Had there been an appropriate seatbelt the whole accident could have been avoided.

To me putting seatbelts in isn't exactly an extreme measure - why not be on the safe side.

For Splash Mountain purposes, it means because some idiot decided to stand up in a moving ride, they now have to "protect" all of us.
DebbieB--I guess it's the courts (in the end) and juries making these absurd awards that are behind all of this. Guess that's why I'm never picked to "serve"---.

Before i get Barb-b-qued by the CMs on this board here is what a CM told me this Jan at Splash. Splash was down for rehab to get more cameras and the gates installed after last year incident. Because the logs on splash are "free floating" (ie not on a track) the Coast gaurd will not let Disney install restaints on the logs.

The coast guard? What the..... Its a log flum. Perilous Plunge has restraints and is free floating. This is Splash Mountian, not the Mark Twain!

they wouldnt close it down in summer .. because of the hot weather when i go in June I will need Splash Mountain

The lady died at Knotts Berry FArm in California because something (and I can't remember what) was wrong with the restraints
Dana

I don't want this to sound disrespectful, but she was too large to sit in the restraint system properly. The staff didn't do their job of ensuring that she met the guidelines to ride the ride safely.

What a nightmare for her and her family.

The staff didn't do their job of ensuring that she met the guidelines to ride the ride safely.

From what I've read about this incident, I agree. But in fairness to Disney and other park operators, the less responsibility they can put on the employees, the less risk there is to the company. All it takes is one employee who is poorly trained, inattentive, or just uses poor judgement, and you can have a problem. I know its impossible to take all of the responsibility off of the employees, but I understand why parks are looking for ways to take as much off of them as possible. Its not that I'm saying Splash needs shoulder restraints, but I can understand why Disney is at least considering it.

Settlement checks can be VERY large, and jury awards even larger. Regardless of what we think a jury should decide, parks have to consider what they will decide, in addition to the bad publicity that comes with these suits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter