$190 housekeeping charge

I've sailed on the Dream 4 times and the Fantasy 4 times. Never even noticed the red pillow until the last cruise and that was only because of comments about it I had read on this board. I guess it goes with the decor but it isn't all that attractive or special ... and cleanliness is questionable if it's been in a stateroom for awhile. Sorry to be a little OT but I have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that someone would take one or that Disney would charge well beyond a reasonable amount for one. Is there even a note about it like they used to do with the dumb propellor clock (that was always in my way) or the laundry bag.

OP - Have faith that DCL will sort it out.

I agree. I'm at a loss as to what all the commotion is about. To accuse the OP of "not returning the item back to the appropriate place" is a bit much. We're talking day of check-out. The last morning. You're going crazy trying to pack up and get out of your room. I have no earthy idea where we left the pillow when we checked out. I know it wasn't on the bed that morning because we didn't sleep with it and the bed wasn't made. It probably wasn't on the fold out either because our son slept there.

As far as people not being careful with other people's money - really??? Do you pay $200 for your THROW pillows? I know I don't. So why would I think DCL does? Oh, and I keep my throw pillows on the floor of my room when I sleep at night. Do most people have a shelf for them or something I'm missing? :confused3

I agree. I'm at a loss as to what all the commotion is about. To accuse the OP of "not returning the item back to the appropriate place" is a bit much. We're talking day of check-out. The last morning. You're going crazy trying to pack up and get out of your room. I have no earthy idea where we left the pillow when we checked out. I know it wasn't on the bed that morning because we didn't sleep with it and the bed wasn't made. It probably wasn't on the fold out either because our son slept there.

As far as people not being careful with other people's money - really??? Do you pay $200 for your THROW pillows? I know I don't. So why would I think DCL does? Oh, and I keep my throw pillows on the floor of my room when I sleep at night. Do most people have a shelf for them or something I'm missing? :confused3

It's Disney...the decorative accessories are expensive. The pillow is for sale in the shop, so it's easy to see how much it costs.

Regardless, it's not my property, so I take care of it, or I deal with the consequences of missing or broken items.

It shouldn't matter if the pillow is $2.00 or $200.00. If it's not your property, you should be extra careful with it. We all learned that when we were youngsters...

Tiger

By the way, in this case they had the pillow. If she would have placed it on the bed when she found it, there would be no issue.

If the pillow is/was under the bed then it is 100% DCL's fault. It is the job of the Host to CLEAN the room, that includes cleaning under the bed. And I am sorry to say that the Hosts don't always do a great job. I have found plenty of items that shouldn't have been in my cabin, and that included the Roy Suite. It is not my job to make sure all the pillows and blankets and towels are hung up. It is my job to make sure all the DCL property is in the cabin and all my belongings are gone!

If the pillow is/was under the bed then it is 100% DCL's fault. It is the job of the Host to CLEAN the room, that includes cleaning under the bed. And I am sorry to say that the Hosts don't always do a great job. I have found plenty of items that shouldn't have been in my cabin, and that included the Roy Suite. It is not my job to make sure all the pillows and blankets and towels are hung up. It is my job to make sure all the DCL property is in the cabin and all my belongings are gone!

:thumbsup2

Why isn't your sister handling this?

It was her card, right?

That's one reason I take pictures the first and last days of the wavephone, red pillow, and desk top. Showing everything is there and there's no damage to the desk.

A similar thread to this and your idea saved me from a charge at the Disneyland Hotel. They also have $200 decorative pillows. One of our beds didn't have the pillow. I called down to the front desk upon arrival and told them. I did not incur a charge.

WOW! Being new to Disney Cruise line I am so glad to have found out about this "red pillow"! It costs $190?!?! Are you kidding me... for a pillow? I will be sure to keep a close eye on this "pillow" on our first cruise. :rotfl2:

It's a pillow...on a bed. They often end up on the floor, especially if they aren't functional. Do they leave them on the bed, after turndown service? :confused3 I can't remember. I know, I've seen them. Although, I don't pay that much attention, since I don't turn down or make up the beds, while on a cruise. There really isn't anywhere to store them....not much extra space in the cabin.

Dispute the charge with DCL and your credit card company. Just another reminder, why I use AMEX. :thumbsup2

It's a pillow...on a bed. They often end up on the floor, especially if they aren't functional. Do they leave them on the bed, after turndown service? :confused3 I can't remember. I know, I've seen them. Although, I don't pay that much attention, since I don't turn down or make up the beds, while on a cruise. There really isn't anywhere to store them....not much extra space in the cabin.

Dispute the charge with DCL and your credit card company. Just another reminder, why I use AMEX. :thumbsup2

yes they do, the yturn it around so the might time saying is showing

Such an interesting thread.

I agree that it would be very helpful for DCL to have an inventory list in the room, but really, is that necessary? I am renting a room for a week, so everything that I find in the room when I check in, except consumables such as: tissue, soap, lotion and brochures, should be in the room when I check out. No inventory list needed as I know that the throw pillows, artwork, furniture and electronics don't belong to me, and so for the week my family and I are there, we take very good care of these items, and we sure as heck make sure they are all there when we leave the room.

Hope OP gets this straightened out, Tiger

In our many DVC trips I don't think there has been one time that there were not several things missing from the room when we checked. Mostly kitchen items (potholders, wine glasses, measuring cups, etc) but also the pillows for the hidabed, the pack-n-play, and the extra blankets. They are always replaced by housekeeping once it is brought to their attention, but it is annoying just the same to have to call down to get a potholder when you need to take something out of the oven! At other timeshares we have stayed in, you were required to report anything missing from the inventory sheet upon check-in or you were subject to being charged.

Good luck getting it straightened out OP!

In our many DVC trips I don't think there has been one time that there were not several things missing from the room when we checked. Mostly kitchen items (potholders, wine glasses, measuring cups, etc) but also the pillows for the hidabed, the pack-n-play, and the extra blankets. They are always replaced by housekeeping once it is brought to their attention, but it is annoying just the same to have to call down to get a potholder when you need to take something out of the oven! At other timeshares we have stayed in, you were required to report anything missing from the inventory sheet upon check-in or you were subject to being charged.

Good luck getting it straightened out OP!

We always check the inventory list when we stay at DVC and call for replacement items - even down to the number of forks and spoons. There is nearly always something missing. I don't necessarily think it's because people took them home with them, but perhaps plates or glasses were broken, a fork or spoon was tossed in the garbage, housekeeping didn't provide clean potholders / kitchen towels when they cleaned and restocked the rooms. But I've also found that you have a bit of a treasure hunt to find where everything is stored as we have found things in less than intuitive places.

As for DCL, it would be nice to know what is supposed to be in the cabin when you arrive: wave phones, clock, red pillow, laundry bag - what else? We have found that when we get to our cabin, sometimes the room isn't fully re-stocked - they are still bringing in towels or glasses or ice buckets, papers and such, throughout the afternoon. It's not until turn-down time that our cabin is usually fully ready, but that's part of what happens when they let guests in early in the afternoon. Many hotels have a 3:00 or 4:00 check-in to give time to get all the cleaning and checking and restocking/replenishing done, but guests certainly don't want to wait that late to get to their cabins.

OP, I hope you have success in getting the charge removed, but if you don't, then I hope you understand why the charge was placed to begin with. Your story will definitely save other people the headaches you are dealing with. Blech. Because of the selfishness of others, the rest of us have to pay for their consequences.

I sadly think some are missing the point of the charge. The charge is for an item removed and no longer in the custody of DCL. This, as far as we know, is not the case here. What if it got put in a closet with an extra blanket to KEEP it from being damaged and it was overlooked when the family left?
I just think to say that someone is required to pay for something that has neither been damaged nor left the stateroom is a bit over the top

Just want to let everyone know that DCL has removed the $190 from my sister's bill. There is no joy in writing that... just relief. We have felt awful about the whole situation.

Thanks everyone for the comments and thoughts. I read them all and they were all taken to heart. I am not perfect, something was over looked that could have cost us. There is one more thing added to the list of things to check before we leave the cabin.

As a Disney fan for 40 years I am just feeling sad. I feel like I just had a fight with my best friend. I hope my trip in June brings back the magic.

Thanks again all!

Why isn't your sister handling this?

It was her card, right?

That's one reason I take pictures the first and last days of the wavephone, red pillow, and desk top. Showing everything is there and there's no damage to the desk.

I will make a note to do this for my trip in August.:thumbsup2

Just want to let everyone know that DCL has removed the $190 from my sister's bill. There is no joy in writing that... just relief. We have felt awful about the whole situation.

Thanks everyone for the comments and thoughts. I read them all and they were all taken to heart. I am not perfect, something was over looked that could have cost us. There is one more thing added to the list of things to check before we leave the cabin.

As a Disney fan for 40 years I am just feeling sad. I feel like I just had a fight with my best friend. I hope my trip in June brings back the magic.

Thanks again all!

Yay Disney removing the charge? Obviously a misunderstanding?

You should feel happy they resolved it for you, not too sad (although frustrated I'm sure?)

I guess it's like when you have a fight with your spouse. For a few minutes, you just don't wanna look at 'em.

Then you realize, you just can't live without 'em! (one hopes!)

:lmao:

This all makes me wish that when the red pillows started walking off the Dream, DCL would have decided to just get rid of the red pillows, instead of charging us $200 if the darn pillow falls off the bed.

I think it's all about the $$$ If two people have a pillow missing and they don't check their statments, that's $400 Disney will make for a pillow that cost $5.00 to make:scratchin

The opportunity for others to steal the pillow from any stateroom is high. When we were leaving the ship there were stateroom doors left open all along the corridor as the hosts were cleaning the rooms. Most rooms were empty and easily open to others stealing items.:confused:

Makes me wonder why someone would pay thousands of dollars for a cruise and steal something from someone elses room. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter