1st disney DVD to buy my daughter?

coolranchdressing

Earning My Ears
hello, hate to admit this, but I'm not a huge Disney fan...as a child I preferred Jim Henson puppets and Crockadie Dundee ;) However, I would like to buy my daughter some Disney DVDs...she is 2.5 yrs (I aso have a baby boy)...so far she loves:
-mickey mouse/Donald duck cartoon we watch online
-Shrek movies

which DVDs would you recommend this non-Disney mom? I want something fun/entertaining...
I was thinking about:
-tangled (my gf said my daughter would enjoy this one)
-the little mermaid (I liked this as a kid...she saw this at granny's house...it's not too scary is it?)
-Brave (my daughter is 1/2 Irish...sort of like Scottish)
-the mickey mouse season one dvd

TIA!

No specific recommendation, but I'd note that Disney DVD only movies are only marginally less than the combination DVD/Blu-Ray movies. If you ever get a Blu-Ray player, the improved quality is really nice.

As far as I can tell, Disney doesn't sell any movies with only Blu-Ray; they all packaged with a corresponding DVD version of the same movie.

My 2 1/2 year old nephew is obsessed with Frozen. :rolleyes1

I don't know about The Little Mermaid.... There's a scene near the end that scares a lot of kids. Brave can get scary too.

A few that come to mind for me are....
Finding Nemo
Chicken Little
The Hunchback of Notre Dame II (NOT the first one, the squeal!)
Cinderella
Aladdin
Make Mine Music
Fun and Fancy Free
the Tinkerbell movies
A Goofy Movie
The Aristocats
Winnie the Pooh

sailorstitch

thanks for the responses so far...what do you think about sleeping beauty--I've heard it's too slow. what about Alice in wonderland? I know...I have a Disney CD in the car and "let it go" is on repeat. her big cuz has the Frozen movie but we haven't watched it yet.

I think Alice would be fine. I'm not sure about Sleeping Beauty.

Here's a few you'll want to make sure you avoid until she's older.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame - the first one (I put this one at ages 10+)
The Black Cauldron (12+)
Big Hero 6 (5+)

Those ages are just my opinion. There are things in The Hunchback of Notre Dame that I still can't believe Disney got away with. And Black Cauldron may be rated PG, but it's borderline PG-13. Big Hero 6 is a superhero movie, so it has a lot of action and a pretty scary villain.

sailorstitch

out of interest--why u say that about Hunchback? I've seen it once when I was younger...I'm interested to know :) thanks for the info!

out of interest--why u say that about Hunchback? I've seen it once when I was younger...I'm interested to know :) thanks for the info!

Try watching it again. There's stuff in there that a child isn't going to catch or understand. I was 15 when it came out and saw it in the theater with my mom. I could not believe that it got a G rating. Frollo is one of the most vile Disney villains ever! He makes the Horned King from The Black Cauldron look pleasant. Frollo gave Esmerelda a choice... she could either sleep with him or be burned at the stake! :scared1: Yeah, not a movie for toddlers. Frollo doesn't make it to the squeal. That's why the squeal is much better for kids. The villain in that one only wants to steal... something... from the bell tower. I don't want to spoil it for you. I love the music in the second one. I wish they would've released a soundtrack for it.

sailorstitch

I would definitely recommend Tangled (although one of the last scenes is rather dark). The Tinker Bell movies are also worth checking out. ;)

I'm not sure what is available right now, so I looked through Overstock.com to see what they had.

I'd go with the Tinkerbell movies for sure for a 2 yr old.

I'd also consider Winnie the Pooh, Frozen, The Princess and the Frog (not sure it's available?), Little Mermaid, Oliver and Company, Monsters Inc, Jungle Book, and Tarzan.

Definitely Frozen. From there...be aware that Disney animated classic are generally issued for a "limited time." Not like you need to run out & buy them the first day of release, but eventually they disappear from the shelves, then get a re-release some years down the road. You might look into the titles that may be going out of print soon, or are recently out of print and check to see if you think any thing else might be important.

That said, I think Little Mermaid is essential, and you can buy dvds of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse which is shown on Disney Jr. My 2 & 3 yr old DGDs are addicted to those. They also enjoy a Disney Jr. show called "Sofia The First." I wasn't impressed until I realized that the show is an amalgam of Disney characters & plots in a sort of "medley." It's an interesting way to introduce children with short attention spans to the Disney characters.

Finally, I hope you'll spend some time watching some of the Disney classics with your child. As an adult, you may realize just how brilliant those movies are from an artistic and musical perspective. You could become a fan! :earsboy:

Little Mermaid is a great choice and she may really like the music. I think some of the villains in these films may scare her though. Monsters Inc and Beauty and the Beast are definitely out for a few years. What about Cinderella as the villains aren't physically scary and she may enjoy the little mice?

BTW, the Muppets rock!
smile.gif

What about Cinderella as the villains aren't physically scary and she may enjoy the little mice?

BTW, the Muppets rock!
smile.gif

My son got very upset as a 3yr old watching Cinderella, we always had to Fast Forward through the scene when the stepsisters tore off the dress Cinderella and the mice made. He was very empathitic with Cinderella.

My 2 1/2 year old daughter's current favorites are Frozen, Tinkerbell and the Great Fairy Rescue, Peter Pan, and anything Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. She's got (mostly) very good taste ;)

The first one I bought was Cinderella. My daughter was about your daughters age. It still holds a special place in my heart because of that. My second daughter was 1 when she fell in love with Toy Story!! Two of her first words were Buh and Wooey( obviously, Buzz and Woody). My third daughter loved Lil Mermaid. That being said Oliver and Co was a favorite of all of theirs as well as Aristocats. I guess they just loved cats :)

The Little Mermaid would be an excellent choice. It has a great story, great characters, and great songs to keep a little kid into watching it.

Winnie the Pooh was a favorite at our house at that age --- Jungle Book too and Robin Hood (but our little one asked to skip the fire scene --- too scary)

I know this post is a little old, but for anyone with children 2+ I'd strongly suggest The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Your son will enjoy it too and as they get older they'll understand more. It's just super cute and really is something the whole family can watch and be entertained by.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter