1st post, 1st WDW trip pre-report. 13 people, 5 birthdays, 1 anniversary!

TypeBTripPlanner

Earning My Ears
Hey all!

I’m new here so please don’t eat me alive.party: 9 days party:and counting until my family’s FIRST trip to Walt Disney World! I suspect that everyone IRL is tired of hearing about it, so here I am! I’ll try to use appropriate abbreviations and forum etiquette. If I mess up feel free to yell at me. I know I’m wordy, so I have included pictures from our past DL trips throughout to break up my text walls. I also love to (over) use parenthesis, so if you have beef with parenthesis, I suggest you stop now while you’re (not) ahead. I also apologize in advance for crappy pictures. Photography is not my calling and we're pretty technologically outdated in this household (that's part of how we save money to pay for more Disney trips). :rotfl2:

IEkVRq.jpg

They're here! It's really happening! We're really going! *As long as we all stay intact and healthy over the next 10 days. This is a big feat with a 2 and 5 year old.
Who: 13 total! There is DH (who I will *jokingly* refer to as “the hostage”), myself (the “planner”) our 5yo DD “A” and almost 3yo DS “N”. We live in the SW United States and will be meeting 2 of DH’s sisters who live on the NE coast. SIL #1 will be accompanied by her DH, 11yo DD, 5yo DD and almost 3yo DS. Yes, our children are almost the exact same ages, born within days/weeks of each other. No, this was not intentional. SIL #2 is coming with her DH, 10yo DD and 4yo DS.
7Ukumc.jpg

Me and DD at DL- 2016. I hate having my picture taken.

shmP9U.jpg

DD and DS at DL in 2016. We bailed them out...this time.

VOJ0Qo.jpg

DH and DD. DH doesn't like his picture taken either. This makes for very few family photos. Our goal is to change that on this trip.

Background: This will be the first WDW trip for 10 of 13 members of our party. Though my immediate family has never been to WDW, we live close enough to DL so we’ve been twice. No one else in our group has been to DL. **Funny story, prior to having children I was pretty anti-Disney (this would be a good time to yell at me). I used to always say, “If I ever have kids, they’re going to watch very little Disney and definitely no Disney princesses” HAH! Funny how our ideas of parenthood change once we actually become a parent.** The kids and I fell in love with Disney parks on our first visit to DL in 2016. DH…well…he still thinks Disney is overpriced but he has a good time when we go. To be honest, we originally planned on not visiting WDW until the kids were older since we’re so close to DL but the perfect opportunity arose…

o1nGtk.jpg

Clearly, I stuck to my guns on the princess thing.

6o6tjv.jpg

For me, the magic of Disney parks is in the details. I'm personally still not a fan of Disney princesses and there isn't one particular character/movie/concept I can't get enough of (though I enjoy many of them). I'm just blown away by the details of the parks/rides. I enjoy intense thrill rides and typical roller coasters and have been to many theme parks in my life but nothing compares to the concept and details of Disney Parks IMO.

This trip was the brainchild of myself and SIL#1. We started planning almost a year ago. SIL casually mentioned, “hey, I’m thinking of going to WDW next year. Want to meet us?” Once the idea was in my head, there was no getting it out. We haven’t seen DH’s family in about 2 years, so another trip to the East coast was about due anyway. By the time we pay for flights rental cars, hotels, etc. a visit to where they live usually sets us back at least $2000. Might as well add on another few (or several) thousand and meet them at the happiest place on earth instead, right? Right?! It took some convincing for DH, but he got on board too. Either that, or he realized there was no stopping me AND his sisters when we get together…hence why we call him the hostage. Don’t worry, there’s an adults-only beach vacation in the works for 2019 to make up for it.

zfRJej.jpg

Our adults-only version of the happiest place on earth.

As you can see by my username, I’m not a type A person by nature. DH, myself and the kids travel often but the majority of our trips are plan-as-we-go type affairs. I do research everything to death, so at least I am an educated and relatively well-prepared spontaneous traveler (I know, sounds like an oxymoron). We just don’t make rigid plans. Even at DL, over a three-day weekend and the 4th of July holidays, we had a great time with no planning. We were able to eat at Ariel’s Grotto and Goofy’s Kitchen without ADRs. Maybe it was just luck but it worked. With that said, my family’s obsession with Disney has grown since then and the kids are old/tall enough to ride more things so we have more “can’t miss” experiences on our list. I also realize that WDW is a different beast and advanced planning is especially necessary with a large group. So, considering that our extended family members in the group don’t travel often and are even more “type B” than me, it naturally fell on me take on the bulk of the planning responsibility.
Av8rzorGW7eLZdW5636ipHV3K-IdnEsJ1t3CFb6dzy6IFn5xQ7BWKSnGn9IKuk_pwZdseobajmcx0IR2k3UZdp9BPA=s0-d-e1-ft

zK5z3t.jpg

Spontaneous lunch at Goofy's Kitchen - July 2016. This was before I even knew what "ADR" meant.

Fortunately, even though it’s not innate, I am able to summon a hidden-somewhere-deep-down type A personality when I need. To start, I read probably a million different blogs, TRs, etc. I joined a touring plans site, constructed carefully touring plans that will hopefully appropriate for all ages using lists of desired ADRs and FPs for everybody. And then I waited for the reservation periods to open (can you tell I’m proud of this?). SIL#2 and I worked together to make ADRS at the 180-day window. We didn’t start the minute it opened, but we got pretty good stuff.

As for FPs, I sacrificed my much-needed beauty sleep and got up at 3:45 am PST to book FPs the minute the 90-day window opened up at 4:00 am. MDE technical glitches attempted to thwart my best efforts (that’ll show me) but it actually ended up working out well. For some reason, MDE wasn’t recognizing that my immediate family had linked park tickets, even though we did. It would only let me book the FPs for the other members of our party. After being on hold with an amazingly apologetic Disney Rep for over an hour, the “technical team” *maybe* figured out why my MDE was doing weird stuff and *probably* fixed it. (It ended up doing other inexplicable weird stuff when I called to book the Magical Express later on…so hopefully it won’t blow up once we’re actually at WDW.) When all was said and done, the rep added my immediate family to the FP reservations I’d made for everyone else. She also threw in a FOP FP for our AK day for the inconvenience! So even though I wasn’t able to go back to sleep for a few hours before work like I’d hoped, it was worth it to get NRJ and FOP fast passes. Initial technical issues accessing the FP reservation page put me slightly behind and all of the FOP FP’s were already gone when I checked at 4:03 am!

zxNsmP.png

My face was like...

When: Mid-April, 7 nights, 8 days, 5 park days -2 MK, 1 AK, ½ day HS, 1 EP. We will be at WDW for DH and my anniversary, plus DH and SIL#1’s birthdays. Myself, a niece, and nephew also all have April birthdays right before and right after our trip. Another niece and my son have birthdays in May and June. Yes, there is a lot to celebrate on this trip. We also timed it this way to avoid having to pay for the two youngest kiddos in the group since they’ll still *barely* be under 3 at the time of the trip. Luckily, we all make really giant kids, so they’ll all be able to ride most of the rides if they want. In fact, I’m debating bringing proof of age because people are always shocked to find out my 2-year old is only 2…

Where: Art of Animation, Lion King family suite. Though my DS is OBSESSED with Cars, Lion Guard is a favorite of both kids and we thought the theming is more fun in the Lion King rooms. We are really excited for Art of Animation. Though the “princess” in me would prefer a moderate or deluxe resort, there was really no question about where we would stay. First of all, we know the kids will love the theming. Second, we needed a resort that offered affordable rooms for all members of our party. Third, having a two-room suite was a MUST for the hostage (yes, there were hostage negotiations) which limited our on-site, affordable(ish) options considerably, even if it would have just been our family.

Igso0j.jpg

A picture of my (at the time) 1 year old in a car. He's always loved cars, but his obsession with the movie Cars didn't develop until well after our DL trips. Excited to see his reaction to the Cars section of AoA.

5OxTwL.jpg

A current picture of my little Lightning McQueen fan with his DD's Frozen suitcase.

Dining/ADRs: DDP. Even though we booked the day the 180-day window opened, we didn't do it right when the window opened. We had to make separate reservations to get coveted locations/times but, for the most part, we were able to book all of the same restaurants at the same times. Honestly, this is probably a good thing since it allows us more flexibility if we all want to go our separate ways. We managed to get a couple meals for our whole party together at GG and Biergarten during our Epcot day. I’m pretty stoked about out ADR game, as we were able to score an early CRT breakfast and BOG dinner, albeit a late one. We also have dinner reservations at RFC - AK and a Disney Jr Play and Dine Breakfast at HS. I would've preferred dinner spots in EP and AK with more "exotic" cuisine but I’m going with the crowd/kids here. For our first MK day, the large party is splitting up completely for dinner. SIL #1 is doing CRT dinner, Sil #2 Crystal Palace. My immediate family is going the Garden Terrace Lawn desert/fireworks party, so we’re just going to do a QS dinner or maybe even just find some savory, dinner type snacks before.

WwzfLN.jpg

Crappy picture but when we went to DL for the 4th of July 2016, we watched the fireworks from the hotel room because DS was terrified of fireworks. He's grown out of that fear, so watching MK fireworks from a good spot was a priority for this WDW trip.

My immediate family is also doing an extra non-park day before everyone else gets in (thank you DH airline schedules that made it waaay more convenient to fly in a day early) so we scheduled a Sunday brunch at CG! I’m looking forward to this more than any other meal. I’m excited to see how it measures up to other “fancy” brunches I’m done, as going out to brunch is one of my favorite things in life (I’m a simple high-maintenance-but-I-don't-like-to-admit-it woman). My personal to do list also included at least one Signature Dining Experience (not a character meal). Note: We’re over on dining credits so one thing I still need to do is make a spreadsheet to determine which meals to pay OOP for to save as much money as possible. I also should probably start packing...or at least make packing lists...or at least get a luggage out of the storage. Did I mention, I'm also a procrastinator? :confused3

Plan Overview:

Day 1, MK – Rope drop, spend time primarily in Fantasyland, Frontierland and Liberty Square, FP = BTMR, 7DMT, Peter Pan, no ADRs, quick service/snacks all day. Planning a mid-day rest at the hotel, then back for fireworks party. If all else fails, we'll just ride the carousel all day long. It was pretty much their favorite ride at both DL Park and CA (and more, recently, Legoland too).

hWGF4f.jpg

Pure Joy.

RcCebJ.jpg

More carousel joy...

hLin4c.jpg

And another...

poHmCA.jpg

....aaand one more. (If you look closely you can see DH's shirt he purchased last minute at our hotel gift stop. As you can tell by the white trash cut off sleeves quality of this shirt, his options were limited. After our first day in the park, he decided he wanted to be festive for our 4th of July day...and this is a guy who says he's not a fan of Disney parks.

*For the record, before anyone starts rioting, my white trash sleeves comment was a joke.:littleangel:

Day 2, AK – May or may not RD depending on the moods of small children (and maybe grown adults) who may be holding us all hostage and laughing in the face of touring plans by this point. Either way, we have FP for NRJ, Kilimanjaro Safaris, FOP and Expedition Everest which are our main priorities. DD Is SO EXCITED for Expedition Everest and a “backwards” roller coaster. Hoping to eat at the Avatar Canteen (I can’t spell it…too lazy too look) for lunch and then we have the ADR for RFC – AK. May or may not stay for the evening shows.

Day 3 – MK – CRT breakfast at 8:55am, spend time primarily in Adventureland, Main Street and Tomorrowland with a few diversions into Fantasy Land and possibly Frontier Land to ride Splash Mountain weather depending. FP = Jungle Cruise, Splash Mtn, HM. No mid-day rest, but I allocated a good chunk of the afternoon for slower/indoor rides to rest in or just skip if we decide we absolutely need a park break. This will be our longest day as our BOG dinner reservation isn’t until 8:25pm. My kids will usually do stroller naps and are pretty flexible while traveling. We’ve been traveling with them since they were infants and I’ve done several successful solo trips with them myself, so I’m going on the assumption that they won’t lose their stuff on this trip. If they do or the other kids in our party do, we’ll just adapt and take turns juggling kids if needed. If all kids lose their stuff all at once…well, I send my apologies to all other WDW guests in advance.

vjBbD4.jpg

The magical stroller nap. Not sure how that position happened, but I wasn't about to fight it. Also, for reference, DD was 3 in this picture. Like I said...we make giant kids. At 5, she's almost tall enough to ride everything at WDW if she wants.

Day 4- EP – We’re planning for this to be a pretty laid-back day. Late arrival for FEA FP at 11:00am-12:00pm. We have several Frozen fans in our party so FEA was the biggest priority ride wise. Lunch at Biergarten and dinner at GG are in the forecast, but we’re kind of going back and forth on if we’ll keep Biergarten. We would really like to try it and it’s a good place for us to eat as a big group, but two TS meals 5 hours apart might be too much. GG is a must as it’s our only non-princess character meal of the trip (remember what I said about no Disney Princesses? Again, HAH!). I did book some “unnecessary” afternoon FPs that we plan to use in hopes of opening a window to book Soarin’ FP’s later in the day. Have I mentioned, that I find EP’s FP tiers really annoying? I don’t think I’m the only one and I guess there’s a reason for it, but just saying. Other rides we are prioritizing are LWTL, TT, and Soarin’. We didn’t FP TT because several members of our party will enjoy designing the cars so we don’t mind the wait as much. We hope to ride as many rides as possible but won’t be devastated if we have to miss some of the others. Sleep is probably more important by park day 4 with several small children.

Day 5 – HS – Rope Drop to TSM. Disney JR P&D Breakfast at 9:35am. Hopefully there will be enough time for this. Morning/early afternoon FPs for Star Tours, ToT and RnR. I have a touring plan set up to hopefully hit DisJr Live, Jedi Training, Frozen Sing Along and Muppet Vision as those were all important to members of our party. We may try to fit in other attractions if possible. Our last fast pass window is over by 3:55. We’ll probably leave at this point, but it will depend on how everyone is feeling and what we've managed to accomplish.

Final Day – We plan on just hanging out at the resort until it’s time to leave (our flight leaves around 3pm).

Soo...that's (finally) pretty much it.

If anyone has suggestions or input, I am more than happy to hear it. I’m not a delicate flower and can take/like honest advice. Overall, I feel like we have pretty solid plans in place if we want to and are able to use them. I know it will depend on moods, weather, crowds, ride operation status, etc. We’re trying to be well-prepared with ponchos, rain jackets, good shoes/socks, etc in case it rains often. Right now, the forecast looks perfect but I’m old enough to know not to trust the weather man. I’m also fully anticipating at least 1 or 2 or 3 events that could throw everything off course. Overall, we’re just planning to make the most of it. As long as the kids are happy, that is the main priority. Hopefully if I overlooked any details, they aren’t the large ones… I can't wait to have more of these magical moments!

c71hYF.jpg

P.S. If you’re still here, you’re the real MVP. Stay tuned for the trip report (and more parenthesis).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter