1st Solo Trip

Revelation

Earning My Ears
I have been to WDW about 14 times now....my 15th trip is booked and paid for in full for the 1st week of May...BUT this time going solo. I am a lil nervous about going solo for first time. But I am looking forward to doing things I always wanted to do before but never did before such as SeaRacers. Any helpful tips from solo veterans for a 1st time solo WDWer?

I am going May 1st-7th

My solo trip was one of my best trips! Went where I wanted to and when I wanted to. I took a tour and enjoyed a spa treatment. It's so awesome to get on attractions like the Great Movie Ride before other people since your a single rider. As for a room, I requested by fax a room close to the main buidling and near a lighted path due to a single person stay and I got it.

Hope you had a great time. I am not a solo traveler myself. I do wish i could enjoy something like that. It would make trip arrangements a lot easier!

I went for 8 days solo for the first time last year and I LOVED IT!!!

I stayed at AKL and it was wonderful. I left when I wanted to leave, went where I wanted to go, came back when I wanted, went to the bar when I wanted, ate where I wanted, it was freeing.

Don't get me wrong, I love going with friends but just having a WDW vacation where I could just do my own thing was very fun. Don't worry about looking alone or feeling out of place.

Going on rides was never an issue. Remember there are groups of people with odds numbers where someone rides by themselves. No one notices that at all. I could people watch. Talk to people, talk to cast members, offer to take photos for families so everyone can be in the picture.

I always got great service at eateries. I never had an issue of wanting to read a book while eating because there were lots of things to see. I also had my trip report journal to keep me occupied as well. I went to Victoria & Alberts, I went to the bar at the Poly and had a Lapu Lapu. Going to the deluxe resorts and just hanging out, shopping, having a drink or a snack was lovely!

I would do this again in a heartbeat.

This is also a prime opportunity to do some of the tours! They have a variety of price points. The Segway one is cool as is the dolphin experience. For something less expensive, there are behind the scenes tours at Magic Kingdom. Also take a water mouse out on Bay Lake from Wilderness Lodge. They are awesome fun!

I'll just miss you as I arrive May 8.

Solo trips are the best as it's all about YOU! As previously mentioned, you get to do what you want, when you want. If you want to ride your favorite ride over and over, you can! If you want to sleep in and just go at your own leisure, you can! Yes, there are moments of loneliness, but mostly I just have a great time. I even have no problem going to Jellyrolls by myself - I sit along the railing by the bar and take in the fun.

Have a great trip! :cool1:

I am going on my first solo trip May 12- May 15th.:cool1:

All of the positive posts inspire me.

Not to be morbid, my only worry is being in the room by myself at night. Disney is a safe place, but no place is 100% safe. I have travelled with just the kids without my hubby. But even that is different somehow. :confused3

Does sleeping solo cause anyone else any worries?

Not to be morbid, my only worry is being in the room by myself at night. Disney is a safe place, but no place is 100% safe. I have travelled with just the kids without my hubby. But even that is different somehow. :confused3

Not really. They do make a variety of portable travel alarms for hotel room doors. Some fasten on the handle, others look like a door stop. They wouldn't necessarily make the room safer, but would give you some warning if someone tried to access the room while you are sleeping.

Try googling "travel accessories" or "portable door alarms." Not exactly sure how to look for them. I would think sites selling travel accessories would be the most likely to carry them.

OP, relax and enjoy your solo WDW holiday. Or go commando.

It's all about you! :)

I'll be there May 11-17 -- maybe I'll run into you. PM me if you want my cell and want to share a meal.

I LOVE sleeping alone. Millions of people visit WDW every year and they have no problems in their rooms at night. Disney security is excellent, so I am not worried. Also, I am being discreet about my status when I am out in the Parks.

I relish the thought of sleeping alone, having no one steal the blankets or crowd the bed. :rolleyes1. I am going to bed when I want and taking the morning at a leisurely pace.

I'll admit it will be a bit lonely not having anyone with whom to share the little 'Disney Moments' I will experience and I am not looking forward to dining alone, but this is my FIRST SOLO TRIP to WDW as well, so I am looking forward to the experience.

Ultimately, we will all be at WDW and it will be totally AWESOME!!! :yay:

That sounds wonderful and I hope you have as much fun as I plan to have. My first solo trip is May 2-7th and I absolutely cannot wait!! Ive been to Disney a million times but never alone. I plan to only ride the "must do" rides and then do a lot of grown up stuff that I never get to do - spa, tours, bar hopping, whatever! I am hoping to meet up with a couple of ladies from here, so if you have a moment and feel like meeting up sometime that week, don't hesitate to reach out! Otherwise, just enjoy yourself - take lots of pictures - and dance like nobody is watching. :D

I went solo for the first time at the beginning of the month and had a great time. I stayed at POP and had a rental car. I loved that I could come and go whenever I wanted. My kids aren't morning people (and we live in the West Coast so it's even worse when we go to WDW) so I loved being able to get to the parks early. Plus I tried a bunch of sit down restaurants that I'm either bringing the kids back to in June or they wouldn't eat at.

I did a lot of walking around, shopping, and just taking in the sights.

I will say that while I enjoyed my trip I don't know that I'd do it again. I love Disney but I think I prefer to go with someone else.

I'm going on my first solo trip August 14-18 and I can't wait! I was a little nervous when I first booked it, but now it's got me super jacked up and excited! Or maybe that's just the mountain dew...

I am an old pro solo traveler. I feel super safe in Disney. I have been in other countries solo and it wasn't that great but Disney is awesome. Check out the Solo Trip May 1-7 thread. There are a bunch of solo people going. We will meet at JR on May 3rd feel free to join us.

I was a CP and I would go into the parks all the time by myself but next week I'm going (for the Royal Weding Sleepover!!!) and I will be mostly on my own. The only difference is, I will be up late, the sleepover starts at 4 am. I plan to go to whatever park is open late but then I will have a few hours to kill. Any late night suggestions?

I love this thread! We are taking a family trip in the fall and I've already "warned" my husband when I turn 50 I am going solo. For all the above reasons and more, eat when I want, sleep when I want, a few spa treatments. I have starting planning in my head! I'm going to look forward to a trip report. Have a wonderful time Revelation!

Well I just got back from my 1st solo trip.....and i Loved it going solo was very fun. Will post a trip report later tonite in that forum

Glad you had a great time! I can't wait to hear about it. I want to go back solo sooo bad but really don't have the time for awhile. :(
I went on my first solo trip last year the first week of June and it was awesome! I saw all the movies in the countries, relaxed, took in all the details and just had a really nice time.

Just a few suggestions from my experiences going solo.

Try to experience one of the very late EMH's, especially at MK. Even if you have to go back to your room and catch a little snooze after dinner. There's nothing as magical as MK at 2:00 or 3:00 am.

You can eat dinner at most of the restaurant bars. It's fun to chat with the bar staff and many times, others at the bar will chat to ask you how you like your food, etc.

A chair placed by the door to your room while you are sleeping will keep anybody from opening your room door without you hearing them. Also, be sure to use the extra security bar on your door, so you don't jump out of the shower and find the mousekeeper vacuuming your room! :eek:

Take lots of interesting pictures of architecture, gardens, whatever catches your eye. Nobody's going to complain that you are stopping to take another picture!

On the topic of pictures, offer to take pictures of families with their cameras in ride lines, at restaurants, etc.

If you are interested in any of the tours, don't be afraid to try to get in at the last minute. The tours always limit their groups to even numbers and since you just need a reservation for one, your chances are better of scoring a spot. http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/tours.htm
Call 407-WDW-TOUR to reserve or for info.

So, just enjoy and know that you are much safer at WDW as a solo traveler than most anywhere else! :thumbsup2

Just a few suggestions from my experiences going solo.

Try to experience one of the very late EMH's, especially at MK. Even if you have to go back to your room and catch a little snooze after dinner. There's nothing as magical as MK at 2:00 or 3:00 am.

You can eat dinner at most of the restaurant bars. It's fun to chat with the bar staff and many times, others at the bar will chat to ask you how you like your food, etc.

A chair placed by the door to your room while you are sleeping will keep anybody from opening your room door without you hearing them. Also, be sure to use the extra security bar on your door, so you don't jump out of the shower and find the mousekeeper vacuuming your room! :eek:

Take lots of interesting pictures of architecture, gardens, whatever catches your eye. Nobody's going to complain that you are stopping to take another picture!

On the topic of pictures, offer to take pictures of families with their cameras in ride lines, at restaurants, etc.

If you are interested in any of the tours, don't be afraid to try to get in at the last minute. The tours always limit their groups to even numbers and since you just need a reservation for one, your chances are better of scoring a spot. http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/tours.htm
Call 407-WDW-TOUR to reserve or for info.

So, just enjoy and know that you are much safer at WDW as a solo traveler than most anywhere else! :thumbsup2

AWESOME suggestions. Thank you. I have noted these in my "WDW Trip" file. Thank you for your post! :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter