• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st time AKL...was awesome

SafariChris

Earning My Ears
:Pinkbounc
Just had to share with everyone...I started reading these postings before my trip (7/25-8/3), it was a very special time for my 9yr old daughter and myself. Thanks to everyone your tips truly helped and I felt compelled to share my wonderful experience....

We were at space camp from 7/25-7/28...checked into AKL on 7/28(also my b-day!!!) From the start it was a great place, i fell in love with the lobby. I literally could have just stayed in the lobby the whole time. CM's were great, we had a savannah room on the Kudu trail, 2nd floor. Excellent spot, we had animals outside all the time. I have pictures with every single animal in it at the same time!!!

Did you know simba meant "Lion", learned lots of cool things from the people there from africa. I heard some people mentioning on here about the bus taking longer due to AKL being more out of the way, I personally never had more than a 5-10 minute wait. I went there knowing we would focus on AK though and we spent 2 days there, and we were not in any huge hurry. I really needed down time, so maybe thats why things didn't bother me as much. We were very impressed with AKL though and I just wanted you guys to know that!!!

looking forward to our next trip....

Sounds like you really enjoyed the AKL. I think that is where I am going to stay for my next trip, it just seems so cool!

I can't wait to see AKL too! AK is my DGD's favorite park, so she'll be in animal heaven at AKL.......and it's a surprise!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Seems like you had a great time!! The resort sure looks awesome and I hope to stay there someday!!

We will be there in two weeks!!!! I got Cindy's for my b-day!!! How was the pool? Food court? Jiko's ? Boma?? Housekeeping?

SafariChris, I see that you are fairly new to the Dis so I thought I would say WELCOME! And welcome home, too. It sounds like your AKL stay was magical. *Sigh* Please post a link to your photos as I would love to view them. :)

More about our trip..
We checked in on July 28th, which was also my b-day!!! That afternoon we were a little under the weather so we just stayed in the room ordered room service for dinner and tried to sleep so that I would be better for the rest of our week. Monday Am we were up nice and early had breakfast down at Mara, it was ok....my daughter and I are not big breakfast people...That night we were not too hungry so we ate at Mara again, its quick and convenient.
Tuesday night we ate at Boma....AWESOME!!! Just outstanding, go in there hungry...we took our time and tried at least a taste of almost everything. We were able to make PS that morning for Boma, I never did try Jiko...
I made it a point to go to the storytelling 1x, and the cultural safari (which is where one of the CM's from africa talks about their homeland) They are all from dift areas of africa, and may have dift jobs back home so if possible do this more than 1x.
We did it twice and learned alot from both people, one CM works at a Rhino refuge back in Zimbawe, he also goes out on "real" safaris.
The pool was great we tried to spend every night at it for a few hours, we found ourselves getting tired out at the parks and thenw anting to go back to the pool by 3:30 or 4pm, so thats what we did, and then we'd swim until 11pm. The hot tub was the best.
We did the hidden mickey search on our last night, we only had rain 1 day (the last day) so we just did stuff around the hotel, we spent the morning at MGM.
I never had a problem with waiting for the bus, or maybe we just had perfect timing, and we went to typhoon lagoon, epcot, MGM, and AK ..however the bus driver did say that attendance was low when I was there. I could see that it was down..even Test track only had a 40 minute wait when we were at epcot, it was the longest wait of anything I had seen at any park. Most of the time we waited no more than 20 mintues.
I will post more and try to get my pics uploaded...soon.

AKL is an amazing resort, by far my favorite, so glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!!!!!

Thanks for the great review, SafariChris, DS and I leave this week and are spending our last 4 days at AKL- can't wait and will definitely follow your suggestion to meet and listen to the CMs there.
BTW- my son is a 3x Fla space camp vet (and 3x Alabama) - did your daughter love it? - I even went the first time and did the parent/child camp with him - another awesome Florida experience for us!:smooth:

Wonderful review, Chris!! We really love AKL as well and your post makes me want to go back so much!! :)

Yes-would also love to see pics!

Thanks for the report!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter