1st time at OKW

disravenlaur

DIS Veteran
Hello. This is our first time staying at Old Key West. We are just staying for one night in November in a deluxe studio before our POP stay. We booked this through the Disney website and are non DVC. How are the views from a deluxe studio? What is the best area for me to request? We are looking for some relaxing pool and resort time and taking the boat to Disney springs. Any tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Views from studios are not that great. They are mostly located on the ends of the buildings and obscured by shrubs and trees. Most of the buildings have no elevators. So if going up and down stairs is an issue I would request 1st floor.

OKW offers mostly golf-course views, some with lagoons most with fairways. The higher up in the building the better the view since, as noted above, there is landscape vegetation around the buildings which can obscure lower views. The resort opened in 1991 and the landscaping has matured nicely!

Here is a thread with OKW Building information and a map of the resort.

Since you are not using DVC points, you can’t stay at Hospitality (HH). Turtle Pond has a snack bar. It may not be open ddue to the current situation. There is a nice quiet pool there. You can take the bus to HH and get boat from there. If boats are not running, you can catch bus to DS from there.

Hello. This is our first time staying at Old Key West. We are just staying for one night in November in a deluxe studio before our POP stay. We booked this through the Disney website and are non DVC. How are the views from a deluxe studio? What is the best area for me to request? We are looking for some relaxing pool and resort time and taking the boat to Disney springs. Any tips and suggestions are appreciated.

You have gotten a lot of good answers. I just wanted to add that you can also walk to Downtown Disney from OKW on a nice trail if you like. I usually go for runs on it in the mornings and its got some great views

You have gotten a lot of good answers. I just wanted to add that you can also walk to Downtown Disney from OKW on a nice trail if you like. I usually go for runs on it in the mornings and its got some great views
But that path is not lit at night and can only be used during daylight hours. It's about 0.8 miles to Cirque from South Point.

OKW is huge so views will vary. I usually request a high floor. We had people above us one time and kept hearing them drag chairs around all night. I'd rather be on the top floor than have a perfect view.

With the current available modes of transportation (and assuming that you have a personal vehicle available as well), what are the best ways to get to each park?

But that path is not lit at night and can only be used during daylight hours. It's about 0.8 miles to Cirque from South Point.

Is that a "it's dark so you would need a flashlight" or a "they officially close the path at sunset"?

With the current available modes of transportation (and assuming that you have a personal vehicle available as well), what are the best ways to get to each park?
Honestly, if you have your own car and don't mind walking, I think it's almost always better to drive to everything but MK. Time-wise the question is whether walking to/from the car is longer than your wait for the bus. Hopefully with lower crowds that will be faster than normal, anyway.

Bus to MK lets you skip the TTC->MK hop so bus is usually better for MK, but in light of covid, we're planning on driving to TTC and taking the ferry across rather than be in a bus for the trip to MK.

Things like strollers and ECVs complicate that discussion a little bit, and for those reasons we've taken buses even with a car on some trips, but in the current situation I think car wins out.

Bruce

Is that a "it's dark so you would need a flashlight" or a "they officially close the path at sunset"?
It is closed because there are wild animals that come out and Disney does not want people to cross paths with. There is a path by the last building in Congress Park at SSR that closes at dusk too.

Last edited:
It is closed because there are wild animals that come out and Disney does not want people to cross paths with. There is a path by the last bull ding in Congress Park at SSR that closes at dusk too.
Yes, a few years ago, there were some bears out in the area at night.

How many internal bus stops are at this resort?
There are 5 bus stops within OKW. The normal route for park busses is 1)Peninsular Road 2)South Point 3)Old Turtle Pond 4)Miller's Road 5)Hospitality House (main check-in) then off to the park.

There is an "Internal" bus that really isn't "Internal" it is a Disney Springs bus that stops at hospitality house on the way into the resort, runs the route, stops at Hospitality again, then goes to Disney Springs.

The route will occasionally vary depending upon road construction or other conditions, but above is the most common. My favorite area is Old Turtle Pond, and hitting the busses in the middle of the route.

If you are at Hospitality, but are staying, for instance, in South Point and don't want to walk back to your room, you can walk across the bridge to the Peninsular Road stop and hop on any bus to take you back to your room.

Last edited:
There are 5 bus stops within OKW. The normal route for park busses is 1)Peninsular Road 2)South Point 3)Old Turtle Pond 4)Miller's Road 5)Hospitality House (main check-in) then off to the park.

There is an "Internal" bus that really isn't "Internal" it is a Disney Springs bus that stops at hospitality house on the way into the resort, runs the route, stops at Hospitality again, then goes to Disney Springs.

The route will occasionally vary depending upon road construction or other conditions, but above is the most common. My favorite area is Old Turtle Pond, and hitting the busses in the middle of the route.

If you are at Hospitality, but are staying, for instance, in South Point and don't want to walk back to your room, you can walk across the bridge to the Peninsular Road stop and hop on any bus to take you back to your room.

Thank you for posting this... i searched the whole internet for 2 days looking for this info. Seriously.... Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter