1st Time at Tokyo Disney- Need help!

_Mickey_

Dreamer
Hello! We will be going on vacation to Japan for 2 weeks, and the very last day we will be there, we've decided to spend some time at Tokyo Disneyland. We will be getting the After 6 pass and plan to stay until the park closes. I just have some questions and concerns, that I hope someone can answer. Firstly, should we buy the after 6 passes ahead of time, or is it ok to wait to the last second (I'm not sure if there is a limited to how many they sell)? Secondly, how bad are the crowd levels (we will be there on June 14th), should we plan on only being able to ride a couple of rides? Also, are we able to get fast passes with the after 6 passes (and are there typically fast passes left by then)? I would be greatful if someone could answer any or all of my questions (sorry, I know it's a lot!) I would also appreciate any helpful tips or suggestions for a first timer, like where to watch the parade or fireworks. Thank you!!!

Go to Tokyo Disney Sea. That is a no-brainer. The #1 attraction is the park itself and its spectacular themeing. Aside from looking around, make sure you hit Fortress Exploration. Ask for a map in English, you'll need it to find the rooms, plus it makes a great souvenir. Also don't miss Triton's Kingdom, the underground lair that is part of Mermaid Lagoon. TK also is home to the Mermaid show which is terrific.

I seriously doubt FPs will be available. Sindbad (excellent Fantasyland-style dark ride) and Magic Lamp Theatre should not be difficult to get into. If the Mermaid show is still playing in Triton's Kingdom, definitely see it. Of course, Fantasmic is spectacular, not at all like in the USA, and standing around the Harbor to see it is unticketed. Indiana Jones has Single Rider, so never any real reason to wait on line. Just use the FP entrance and ask for SR.

Do not go on Raging Spirit. World's slowest and shortest roller coaster, even if it does have a 360 loop. A major disappointment, but the exterior visible form the walkway is spectacular.

Journey is the big ride not in the USA, but only you can determine if the wait will be worth it. Maybe go just before park closing. They will let you ride it. 20,000 leagues is good, but not great. Storm Rider and Aquatopia are terrific. Probably not a really long wait for Storm Rider. Aquatopia does not have FP, so it's always a wait except for first thing on the morning. Tower of Terror is a bit different than in the USA, worth doing. There is a cute show in the Cape Cod Cookout which is unticketed, and is easy to get into. Don't know how late it runs.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips! We were planning on going to Tokyo DisneyLand rather than Tokyo Disney Sea. I wasn't aware that the after 6 pass worked for Tokyo Disney Sea as well. Now I'm on the fence as to which park to go to. The only thing that concerns me about going to Tokyo Disney Sea instead is the amount of faster rides. I love the fast roller coasters, but unfortunately the other 2 members of my party are older and they will not go on some of the bigger rides. If we go to Disneyland instead, what shouldn't we miss there?

There is no choice to be made. You are from New Hampshire? Why travel halfway around the world to see TDL when it's pretty much the same thing as the Magic Kingdom in Florida? I don't know a single theme park fan who'd tell you to miss Disney Sea. It is completely unique unto the world. Nothing like it now nor will there ever be.

Tower of Terror is a scary ride, so you'll have to skip that. Raging Spirit is a slow roller coaster, not worth doing for anyone, but definitely worth seeing the amazing exterior from the walkway.

20,000 leagues, Sindbad, Aquatopia, Magic Lamp Theatre, Storm Rider, Indiana Jones, the Mermaid Show, Fantasmic, none of these are fast rides, and even Journey to the center of the Earth is not fast. It is not a roller coaster. It is a dark ride with one brief fast part, but it is 95% a slow ride. You really don't have that much time for more.

There is no choice to be made. You are from New Hampshire? Why travel halfway around the world to see TDL when it's pretty much the same thing as the Magic Kingdom in Florida? I don't know a single theme park fan who'd tell you to miss Disney Sea. It is completely unique unto the world. Nothing like it now nor will there ever be.

Tower of Terror is a scary ride, so you'll have to skip that. Raging Spirit is a slow roller coaster, not worth doing for anyone, but definitely worth seeing the amazing exterior from the walkway.

20,000 leagues, Sindbad, Aquatopia, Magic Lamp Theatre, Storm Rider, Indiana Jones, the Mermaid Show, Fantasmic, none of these are fast rides, and even Journey to the center fo the Earth is not fast. It is not a rollercoaster. It is a dark ride with one brief fast part, but it is 95% a slow ride. You really don't have that much time for more.

:thumbsup2

THIS, you CANNOT skip the crown jewel of modern day theme parks!!! DisneySea is a MUST!!!!

Yes Tokyo Disneyland is nice and has a few attractions that are better than we have stateside, but 90% of the park is what you'd see in the U.S. (though cleaner and better).

DisneySea is on a whole other level. When the company that owns the parks asked for Imagineering's help to build a new park, they literally said "Spare no expense"...and $4+ Billion later, DisneySea was born.

It's the epitome of theme park design.

Edit: By the way, my avatar to the left is DisneySea

I would agree that Tokyo Disney Sea is bar-none the best Disney theme park in the world and definitely not to be missed. However, I would say that if you go to Tokyo Disneyland you MUST ride Winnie The Pooh. I'm not even a fan of Winnie The Pooh and both of the rides in the US are skippable, but I would go as far as saying that the ride in Tokyo places in my top 3 Disney attractions ever. It's clever, it's fun, it's magical, and there's no track* (huh?).

I don't know if it's still the same since it's been years since I've gone, but definitely get a fast pass in the morning for it cuz everyone runs there first.

*ok, technically there is but it's all done by remote.

I also agree with previous posters, Tokyo DisneySea is an amazing park.I love Tokyo Disneyland too, but when I first went I spent too much time comparing it to Anaheim. You can't really do that at TDS because it's so unique. It's a beautiful place with amazing attention to detail although, that is just Japan in general :)

My only con for the park is that it is not as easy to get around. They kind of have a hub and spoke layout, but the hub is a lake that you can't cut through.

And if you have ever wondered what the deal is with Duffy-mania, you definitely should go to TDS ;)

Both parks are fantastic and you will have a great time at either one, but if I could only squeeze in one, it would be TDS!

I don't know if it's still the same since it's been years since I've gone, but definitely get a fast pass in the morning for it cuz everyone runs there first.

The OP will not arrive until after 6pm so getting there in the morning is out of the question. This will be the major problem. Pooh's Hunny Hunt is indeed tremendous, but it is the most popular ride in the park and the standby line will be a considerable wait, much longer than wait times in the US. Normally I suggest doing this ride twice. The long line at Disneyland will be formidable without FastPass.

My only con for the park is that it is not as easy to get around. They kind of have a hub and spoke layout, but the hub is a lake that you can't cut through.

In actuality, Mysterious Island is the hub...it's just so well laid out and the pathways hidden from the map view you don't realize it.

;)

Ha, I knew someone would bring that up, lol! Regardless, I think navigating around TDS is not as easy as navigating around TDL. Its not a huge deal, til I get to the end of a long day at the park and just want to get back to my car or hotel. It feels harder to me to through TDS, especially if you are at Indy. Of course, this is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. ;-)

Ha, I knew someone would bring that up, lol! Regardless, I think navigating around TDS is not as easy as navigating around TDL. Its not a huge deal, til I get to the end of a long day at the park and just want to get back to my car or hotel. It feels harder to me to through TDS, especially if you are at Indy. Of course, this is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. ;-)

No worries, I understand. It's just something I study as an aspiring imagineer :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter