1st Time in 20yrs at WDW

Valera

Mouseketeer
This will the 1st time in 20 yrs that my family has made it to WDW. We (10 year old and my mother) are staying at WL.

Does anyone have suggestions of how to make the most of our trip??

We will be in WDW mid-July with WDW time Mon-Friday.

Thank you for any help.

P.S. - Is there any sites that might have WDW planning info - not resorts but how to do the parks the best??

I would really suggest traveling to your local book store and getting a guide book. WDW has changed a lot in 20 years and there is so much to do! There are lots of guide books but Birnbaums (some one else help me wil spelling!) is one of the better. It's updated every year and has suggestions and must see recommendations.

Good luck and have a great trip. You will love the WL!

Plan, but don't over-plan. Leave some room for the magic to happen each day. Use a guide, but don't become a slave to it. Schedule some "down" time -- time when you can relax by the pool; sit on the beach by Bay Lake; take a walk around the Lodge; sit in front of the fireplace.

Another guide book that you might look at is Passporter. It has touring plans for each of the parks in it. You can buy it at Barnes & Noble, Border's etc. or online at www.passporter.com.

When you check in at WL, ask if you can be a flag family. Your 10 year old will love it!

I would second MaryJ's suggestions-I LOVE my Passporter. It has a lot of detailed reviews and helpful tips, etc.

We've been to WDW 50-60 times and I really agree with the overplanning caution - have a general plan in mind - i.e. which park on which day but above all be flexible. I've seen so many folks trying to squeeze it all into a few days that they are always on the run and at the end of their time - it was no vacation!! The guide books will help you frame up what is available. Also, make use of fast passes if you are into the rides, etc. Most of all, have a wonderful time and truly enjoy the place we DVCers have come to love!!

Spend an evening hanging out on the Boardwalk! Watch the street performers and have dessert from the Boardwalk Bakery!

I agree with the other posters and say to
~Plan with the knowledge that it is absolutely impossible to see and do it all. Pick out those "must-dos" for each of you and make sure you do what you need to to get them done...anything else will be icing on the cake!
~Take time to smell the roses and enjoy the scenery...no where is everything so thoughtfully created and taken care of to surround you with as much perfection as possible. Enjoy and use all of your senses!
~Don't let anyone's attitude infect your day unless it makes you smile! If you encounter a rude person, then they are the one with the problem, not you...don't let them make it your problem by getting upset...chalk it up to whoever your favorite evil character is getting ahold of them and putting them under a magic spell!
~Have a wonderful time! I wish I were in your suitcase as we won't be going back until next April!

Take a boat (2 minutes) to the Contemporary (maybe the night you arrive) for Chef Mickey-good food but great character pictures, then step outside for Wishes (unless you dont want to spoil them in person).

I don't really have too much advice on how to make the most of it. I definitely agree with the "plan, don't overplan" advice. Just take it easy and take it all in.

I'm definitely jealous! I'd love to feel like I was experiencing everything again for the first time! Have a great time and enjoy yourself! :earsboy:

First I would make a general plan. If you're going this July, I would do that right now. This will give you a beginning plan and you'll know where you'll be if you want to plan any PS's for meals. Check out www.wdwinfo.com as suggested and if you want buy the passporter or birnbaum's just for the basic info. They are all loaded with suggestions.
Are you going to use EMH or not.
If using EMH---you'll know what day you're going to be at what park. Most people using EMH take advantage of EMH, then either take a break and hit another less crowded park for the rest of the day.

If not using EMH, you can get a list of the "least crowded" days for each park either on the website or in a book.

For either one, get their about 1/2 to 45 minutes before park opening, do the headliners first thing. If you get them done in the first hour or two, your day all of a sudden (HOPEFULLY), takes a "reverse warp". You're ahead of the crowd and can do the less crowded rides leisurely, take time to smell the roses, a break, or use FP to hit the other headliners.

Once I knew where I'd be when, I would quickly choose restaurants and make my PS's. I would do that right now too, especially for July. You can always cancel.

Everyone has their favorites. Here's ours---Le Cellier, Artist Point, Chef Mickey. Ones we think are nice--- "The Plaza Restaurant" and Sci Fi. ESPN club if your 10 y/o is a boy. We've tried allot, but have allot more to try, these are ones I consider very recommendable.

I agree with overplanning too, just a general plan, some ressies, and general park/ride knowledge will help you save some time though.

Simply, have a "general" plan of where/when.

Check out the restaurants you'd like to go to and make your PS's.

Be aware of the headliner rides that would waste precious time in line. Either do them first thing upon park opening, or use FP, just so you know which ones you're going to have to plan for. Again, only to avoid hours in line.

Make sure you plan in what you'd REALLY like to do and plan that in to for sure do. You cannot even begin to get EVERYTHING in.

Things I wouldn't miss~~~
All the night time shows
For all girls-maybe a "sleep in" day, with a really nice relaxing breakfast, and maybe shopping around Downtown Disney, a manicure/pedicure, would be fun too, even for the 10 y/o. If your 10 y/o is is a boy, he might enjoy Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon and the wave pool or Disney Quest.

Sorry, I forgot to add the most important. Relax and have a wonderful time. I agree, first time is so much fun. I'm so excited for my trip in July, mainly cuz it's the first time for my brother and family and I'm just so excited to share that with them and see their reactions!!! Magical !!! :wizard:

Congratulation on making it back to the magic. I'm in the same boat, my last trip was May 1989. We decided in January that it had been to long and we had to get back, so in November we will be sharing Thanksgiving dinner with everyones favorite mouse. It has been great planning our trip, this board has gotten us so excited I have already had some sleepless nights dreaming about the return. This board has been great for information, but the website www.TourGuideMike.com has been HUGE in planning our trip. If you goto mousesavers.com and get the code you can save $3.00 on the membership fee(making it $18.95) to join and he has a express planning feature to get you ready for july. From reading these boards almost daily for past 3 months, people that use this website have said it is well worth the money::yes:: . He appears to have a nice flexible plan, but more importantly he has latest updates and information. He use to do tours at disney for years, then decided to do them as a business on his own. He recently started a message board on his website where he post answer and advice in response to member questions. I have read some great reviews of the tour guide books, passport (which have websites also) and Tour Guide Mike, but Tour Guide Mike seems to get better reviews on the most recent information. His main advice is the same as the other post you can't do it all, so decide ahead of time what you would like to do and build around those attractions. I must say reading his touring plans and ideas we will get to see so much more than I ever thought possible. If someone would have told me I could goto Disneyworld ( or any theme park) and not wait 1 to 2 hours per ride I would have :hyper: in there face, but thanks to TGMike and the Disboard we will be:Pinkbounc :bounce: from ride to ride and seeing :earseek: 2 to 3 times more than most others who don't plan and don't know about these boards. Hope this helps and just remeber it is happiest place on earth.:tongue: :teeth:

:wave: Valera:D Welcome to the Dis Boards. My sister and I visited WDW last July and stayed at AKL for a week. We'll be going again in August with our 14 year old niece, who has never been before along with other members of the family who have not been there in about 15-20 years. My sister and I discovered that a lot had changed since 1988 and it was good she had been reading the Dis Boards. There is so much to see, do and eat and just not enough time to do it all in one visit. One of the best suggestions that worked for us was to go early, take a break in the afternoon and go back in the evening. Try to have at least one character meal, one dinner show, and see the night time events, like "Wishes" Fireworks, Illuminations and Fantasmic.
What we missed last year we are going to try and do this year and what we really liked we are going to do again.
We are getting so excited!:jumping1:
Most of all have fun and enjoy!
:sunny:

Be prepared for the heat. When going in the summer months I like to be at the parks early before it gets too hot and crowded. Since you're staying on the grounds, you can always go back to your room for a break in the afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter