1st Time July Visit: Best/Worst Days?

tigertides

Mouseketeer
Hello!
I'm an East Coaster who will be taking 12yr and 9yr old to California this summer. We are spending a total of (2) days in the park, one at each park.
  • Would like to avoid Park Hopper to save $$$
  • We will be staying at the Grand Floridian
  • We will be getting Genie+ and paying for ILL (bucket list, likely only trip we will make here)
  • Will spend one "beach day" at Newport/Huntington, either pre-arrival or sandwiched in between Disney days

Which combo of long weekend days are best to visit? I realize SATURDAYS ARE THE WORST.
Is that still true?
Does crowd size matter if we paying $$$ for Genie+?
We will be likely taking mid-day break, and avoiding peak 12-4pm hours.

Would you recommend
FRI / SAT?
FRI / SUN?
SAT/SUN?

All things equal, we would like to:
Arrive LAX Friday
Spend Fri night - Hyatt Huntington Beach
Sat day - OC beaches, check in to Grand Floridian
SUN/MON - Disney 2 parks
Tuesday - Depart Disney, do WB studios & Griffith & Grove
Wednesday - Depart LAX

Please help!

$600+/night at the Hyatt Huntington Beach?

Is that a typo????
If it's near July 4 (Independence Day is a huge draw -- parade etc) or the week of the surfing championships (end of July) the area is packed. Really all of July is high season in Huntington Beach.

PHXscuba

We have been in July several times. Saturday isn't bad. Monday is always awful. Avoid Monday.

Why is Monday that awful? Do most people start their 1 week vacation then?

DO you you recommend driving to LAX FROM ANAHEIM on departure day?

Was not planning this…but could consider if we don’t have to leave 4+ hours ahead of time

Mondays are the worst now. I would try to hit the parks Thursday through Sunday if you can. Based on your proposed schedule above, i would go to Disneyland on Saturday and Sunday.

You guys all say to avoid Mondays but when I went 3 weeks ago Monday wasn't bad but then Wednesday was insane. I had hoped midweek would be better because everyone on here says it - but it was definitely not true for our last visit. So I'm not sure there is anything to do but go when you can and pray for the best.

You guys all say to avoid Mondays but when I went 3 weeks ago Monday wasn't bad but then Wednesday was insane. I had hoped midweek would be better because everyone on here says it - but it was definitely not true for our last visit. So I'm not sure there is anything to do but go when you can and pray for the best.
Was that Monday Halloween?

Was that Monday Halloween?
No, it was Monday Oct 24th and then Wed Oct 26th. Monday was busy but manageable, so I was excited for Wednesday thinking it would be a bit less crowded. No such luck sadly. Hard to say if being so close to Halloween threw off things.

No, it was Monday Oct 24th and then Wed Oct 26th. Monday was busy but manageable, so I was excited for Wednesday thinking it would be a bit less crowded. No such luck sadly. Hard to say if being so close to Halloween threw off things.
October is so weird. I think any day can be unusually more or less crowded then you might expect but as someone who has been going to the parks frequently for years Mondays are often a mess. Wednesdays used to be nice but really not anymore. The parks are just always pretty busy these days.

I would go Saturday and Sunday. Normally I'd suggest Fri/Sat, but you wouldn't want to waste park time by going on an arrival day. It's better to sleep at GCH and then rope drop. Have fun! You're going to lots of nice places in LA. Sounds like a great trip :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter