1st time single at Disney

Dizhappy

Earning My Ears
This will only be my 2nd trip to Disney ( hopefully many more to follow) and first time single. What do singles do there ? Where do you go to meet other singles to share the Disney fun experience...like where do the 30 and overs go to have fun for the magical vacation trip. Any help is appreciated. Luv to all..thanks

Brian

Hi Dizhappy! Welcome to the DIS. I'm really glad you found us.

When I go to WDW solo, I usually manage to meet up with other DISer's there at the same time. Sometimes to share a meal, sometimes to tour a park. There are threads on this board for each month. Just post the dates of your trip on the appropriate month and you will find, usually, that others will be there at the same time.

What I do for fun when I'm touring alone is enjoy my favorite attractions, sometimes over and over. I like to eat at one of the restaurants on the board walk, or even enjoy one of the many character meals. I don't usually go to Pleasure Island by myself.

You will find the adults and solo trips central right <b>HERE</b>

I hope you will visit us often. When are you going to be at WDW?

Katholyn

Brian,

Having been to WDW several times solo, I can tell you it's a blast. Some people don't understand how can people go solo. I've heard all the remarks: how could you go solo? Won't you be lonely? Isn't that a little selfish? And so on. Well, I tell them that I do go with family and have a great time, but there are times where our schedules don't match and I end up going solo and have a great time too. You get to do what you want, when you want, go where you want, dine where and when you want . When I went last November/December I was supposed to stay at Caribbean Beach, but since it was closed, I got upgraded to the Polynesian. I had planned each day out ahead of time, made ps arrangements, etc. and I usually following these plans, but for some reason this trip was a little different. I kept some of the PS, but ended up splitting the day into 2 and sometimes 3 parks. I would go to the EE park first thing, spend the morning, leave around lunchtime, head back to my resort for a break, then later on head for another park. I found that breaking up the day, kept things refreshing.

When I go solo, I ALWAYS stay on-property for many reasons. I never rent a car, since I don't leave WDW, so by staying in a Disney resort, I use the boats, monorail & buses to get everywhere. I also use common sense while I'm at WDW, both in the parks and at the resort. I always double lock my room door, even if I'm only going to be a minute. I also make sure I am secure in my surroundings. I never take too much money with me to the parks. Usually a little cash & my room key. Less to lose. I usually bring a book with me too. It breaks up the time while waiting for a show to start, while standing in line or while dining. I find that the CM's are very friendly when they notice you are solo. Make sure you take advantage of the single's line on Test Track. MUCH MUCH faster than the fast pass or regular line. Road it 5 times in a row on my last trip. I found myself taking more time to absorb the parks and the architecture. At AK for instance, I took a nice quiet walk around the Tree of Life looking at all of the animals carved into it. Most people don't bother and it is a really quiet walk and you can hear the soft music in the background. Another solo plus is being able to dine where and when you want. This past trip I had the chance to try several new places. When you go with young nephews and nieces, it's great, but they really don't want to sit for long durations, unless there are characters around. You've got to try Spoodle's at the Boardwalk. VERY GOOD!!! I found wandering around the parks is fun. I also found alot of people tend to strike up a quick conversation while waiting in lines or for a show.

Where are you staying? When are you going? If you have any questions, drop me a line!

HAVE FUN!!!!

Hey Brian! I want to echo Terk's sentiments that travelling solo is great. In fact, after going solo a couple of times, I've found that I'm kind of spoiled. On my next trip I'm going with a friend who has never been and I am really having to watch myself and make sure I don't totally make every decision, but that is so odd! I like doing things the way I want to. When I go alone I eat where I want, when I want. I take the time to do things I wouldn't normally do.

I also found you get so much more done! When you go with 3 other people it seems like you're constantly stopping...now one person wants to shop in this store, now this person needs to go the bathroom, now I need something to drink. But when you're solo, you only stop when you need to.

Let's see what else..oh I do go to PI by myself, but I don't usually go to the dance clubs. I usually hit the comedy warehouse for a show and then spend the rest of my evening in the Adventurer's Club. I think next time I might check out the jazz club too if they have live entertainment.

There is such a freedom to going alone. I love that. There are times I wish someone else was there. Like when you're waiting in line. Or you see something really funny that you want to share with someone. But everyone at Disney is so friendly it's usually pretty easy to find someone to talk to.

One other thing I do is to keep an eye out for families or couples where one person is taking a picture of the rest of them with a character or whatever. I'll go up and offer to take the picture for them so they can all be in it. Most people are most appreciative, and then they'll return the favor for you.

Have fun!

Ditto to what B'rer Karen said. It's great having only yourself to take care of so that you can go on whatever rides you want when you want to or eat when you want to. I also look out for people in need of a hand in taking pictures. It's also pretty easy to strike up conversations with people in line - sometimes you learn something new about an attraction or a resort.

I haven't really gone out of my way to meet other singles at WDW because I'm on vacation and usually want some time to myself to relax and act like a kid again.

When I've been there solo, I've spent time at the Boardwalk - daytime and evening - as well as at Downtown Disney. I enjoy the shopping there but haven't been to PI yet. I'm just not willing to shell out the extra $ when I would rather spend it on a day at a waterpark or a nice meal. But mostly I spend my time at the parks just having fun or relaxing by the pool at the resort.

Just go and have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter