• Controversial Topics Several months ago I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in opt-out. Click Here

1st timer

mort1331

DIS Veteran
Been to WDW many times,,DVC,,but this March will be 1st time at Universal.
Staying at Portifino,,and keep reading about advance seating at restuarants. Does that mean we dont need reservations??..is there a big difference??
Thanks..many more questiins to come...lol

I don't know from experience but I would think its the same thing. It might just be the term Universal uses for reservations. They wouldn't use ADR bc that is the phrase Disney uses.

Not positive though, so hopefully someone else chimes in.

We were there in November and did not make any reservations in advance we wanted it to be a go with the flow few days before hitting Disney. We stayed at the same hotel and just walked in to breakfast. At the parks we ended up eating mostly at CS but did one TS at Finnegan’s for an early dinner and there was no wait.

I would make reservations if there are popular table service restaurants that you really want to go to while there-- Toothsome and Cowfish, both on Citywalk, are extremely popular and fill up during traditional dining times. Mythos inside of Islands of Adventure also fills up. Because you are going during spring break season, I would reserve those a few months ahead of time. You can reserve them online and you're not holding it with a credit card like at Disney. They will text you 24 hours prior to your reservation and ask you to confirm your reservation.

Most of other restaurants only need reservations the week prior to when you will be going, some the week of. Some won't need any reservations at all and you can walk up and get a table.

It's so nice to not have to wake up early 6 months or 60 days before your trip to try to grab reservations and deal with a glitchy website in the process. I do not miss that about Disney whatsoever.

Looking at the map,,,does not look like a long trek from either park to Toothsome,,,am I correct? City walk does not look as big as DS so easier to navigate?

Looking at the map,,,does not look like a long trek from either park to Toothsome,,,am I correct? City walk does not look as big as DS so easier to navigate?
I've read that Universal Studios is very close in size to Disneyland-- two parks right next to each other. That will all change once Epic Universe opens up, but that's the way it is now. It's often faster to walk from park-to-park than to take the Hogwarts Express.

Toothsome and Hard Rock are on the pathway right in between the entrances to both parks. Citywalk is just across the bridge from both parks. Very walkable.

Welcome to UO! I'm a newbie there as well- so far 2 trips this year. BIG differences from WDW ADR! First of all, it's not impossible to get! MOST places also have bar seating and those can be walk up, especially if not at peak times. Only had time thus far that we couldn't get in just walking up (for bar or regular seating.) The food is also so much better-- and I'm a Hard Core Foodie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter