• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

1st trip to Universal (after 23 years of Disney!)—Feedback on my plan?

Juliet25

DIS Veteran
Well, I finally did it. After visiting WDW for 23 years and eyeing Universal, I just made the last payment on my package and we're headed there this summer.

I booked 3 nights in Royal Pacific and have a 3-day park-2-park pass. We're not doing the water park and don't really plan on any sit-down meals, so basically, my plan is...I don't have one.

We have the Express Passes for all three days, so I'm assuming we won't have any problems seeing what we want to see. I think Hagrid's motorbike ride is not included on the Express pass, so we should plan on doing that on early entry and heading straight there.

This all seems so much simpler than Disney, so I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing.

We're actually doing Disney on this trip as well, and I'm stressing that more than Universal!

We stayed 2 nights on Universal property at Portofino right before Disney in November 2021 after not having been in a long time and loved it! We enjoyed being able to go with the flow and not have to make ADRs and book attractions.
We don’t go on roller coasters or anything with a drop but there were a lot of rides for us to enjoy and saw some of the shows.

We had a great time and had fast passes as well a few things to note.

1. Everyone and their brother does early entry. It is included in a lot of tickets and not just for hotel guests. I woke up and arrived 30 minutes early for early entry and was so far back in line it did not help. You milage may very but for me and my family I preferred to sleep in.

2. Hagrids was amazing! I was able to do it back to back on a Hurricane day. However jumping in line late at night works well.

3. Hagrids has a single line that moves much faster.

4. The rides at universal use A LOT of screens. Disney does not have this issue. I recommend spacing the rides out. Even if you can jump from ride to ride to may want to give your brain a rest from the screens.

Have a wonderful and magical time.

We're actually doing Disney on this trip as well, and I'm stressing that more than Universal!
That was us last May. We did Universal before WDW (just the timing of it along with the wedding we were there for) and instantly missed the less stress we had at Universal. Don't get me wrong WDW has a lot going for it, and I love some of the rides so much, but the ease at which Universal allows someone to tour is just so freeing.

Drink some butterbeer and soak up the ambience :)

Juliet
read some of the trip reports in our darkside forum to learn of many tips that have guided newbies for UO.
Plus if they are good trip reporters (I'm not, I have an unfinished 2018 WDW/USO one :rolleyes1 ) people will include tons of pictures too not mentioning that for being a spoiler for the OP but it can really help you get super excited for the trip..or maybe that's just me lol.

You do want a plan for the water rides in Toon Lagoon, inasmuch as you will get off them fully sopping wet & dripping. Bringing a change of clothes or hitting them right before heading back to the hotel is ideal. Or at least the foreknowledge that you will be soaked & have anything in pockets wrapped up watertight.

It is a zillion times simpler than Disney and you are probably not missing anything.

Random things you didn't ask about but I thought I would mention:
Lockers for rides are not a big deal. Bring whatever you want to have easy access to in your bag. Unless it is a giant diaper bag or backpack, it will probably fit in the lockers. I use the same bags at the park that I use in my regular life and never had a problem.

I am pretty much a total ride coward. I will not do intense thrill rides or roller coasters and have had a fantastic time at Universal. Rides may be more intense that WDW, so take into account any issues that people in your travel party may have. Consider if anyone has issues with spinning, drops, sensativity to motion simulators, or other issues that may impact what people ride.

I found this guidebook helpful when planning my first trip. https://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-G...e0-25d948f1d2bc&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

We are here now and despite the crowds, still super easy and no real plan needed. We have been going in the mornings then back to the hotel for a break in the mid-afternoon from the crowds and heat then back in the evenings and it's been great. Pretty much walk on most rides with the express pass. Easy peasy.

We had a great time and had fast passes as well a few things to note.

1. Everyone and their brother does early entry. It is included in a lot of tickets and not just for hotel guests. I woke up and arrived 30 minutes early for early entry and was so far back in line it did not help. You milage may very but for me and my family I preferred to sleep in.

2. Hagrids was amazing! I was able to do it back to back on a Hurricane day. However jumping in line late at night works well.

3. Hagrids has a single line that moves much faster.
Good to know! We’re not AM people, so maybe late at night is a better bet.

This all seems so much simpler than Disney, so I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing.
You're not missing anything. The tips provided cover it all.

We stopped doing Disney years ago and after doing our first trip to Universal last December, it really is that easy. It's so amazing we plan on returning to Universal annually or every other year.

I posted a first trip report and offered some tips. including Backpack options. See here:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/relatively-quick-trip-report-first-time-at-universal.3903433/

You may never go back to Disney after seeing how great UO can be.

I love Universal! It is so much less stressful than Disney. Since you asked, my favorite tips-
1) Read/re-read the Harry Potter books before you go. The lands are so detailed and amazing- and basically everything comes from the books.
2) Since you have express pass, I would use the early morning for enjoying Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley with lower crowds. Go to Ollivanders for the show and then use your wand for magic before there are lines at every window.
3) Spend the middle of the day going from ride to ride with your pass. No planning required! Go to your hotel and sleep or play in the pool whenever you like. :)
4) For the last hours of park open, plan to be at the back of Islands for Velocicoaster and Hagrids. Lines are shortest at the end of the day, and you can get on the line 1 minute before park closing and still ride. Night rides on these are also just better than day rides!
5) It rains a lot in the summer, particularly in the afternoon. Studios is better than Islands for indoor rides, and this is also a good time to rest. The silver lining is that when the outdoor rides come back online (including Velocicoaster and Hagrids, the big ones not included in express) the lines will be super short.

Well, I finally did it. After visiting WDW for 23 years and eyeing Universal, I just made the last payment on my package and we're headed there this summer.

I booked 3 nights in Royal Pacific and have a 3-day park-2-park pass. We're not doing the water park and don't really plan on any sit-down meals, so basically, my plan is...I don't have one.

We have the Express Passes for all three days, so I'm assuming we won't have any problems seeing what we want to see. I think Hagrid's motorbike ride is not included on the Express pass, so we should plan on doing that on early entry and heading straight there.

Also do Hagrids again when it is dark.

Bananas Split at Schwabs in Universals Hollywood area a lot cheaper than Ghirardelli’s or Beaches and Crème.

Do Bourne Stuntacular on first day.

Do Diagon Alley first then train to Hogwarts

Bluto and Dudley Doo right you will get drenched. Especially Dudley it’s unavoidable that your pants and shirt will get soaked.

Fast and furious is a waste of time.
Kong not that great

Jimmy Fallon surprisingly okay ride

Good to know! We’re not AM people, so maybe late at night is a better bet.
Universal tends to close much earlier than say MK does. Today for example IoA has early opening and both parks close at 9. MK is open to 11pm. 90% of the early opening people at IoA are going to Hagrid’s or VelociCoaster. If you’re not getting in line early for opening, it’s easier just to go to the non early opening park. If you have express, then it really doesn’t matter since everything but Hagrid’s take express.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter