1st trip using the dining plan...need advice

Tinkerbelle99

Mouseketeer
We have just booked a trip for Feb and since we saved a bit with the kids stay/play free, we opted to add the dining plus. We have never been on the dining plan and would like advice and the best way to maximize its usage.

We are a large party...4 adults and 3 children (3,6,11)

what are the best quick service places to hit?

what table service restaurants offer appitizers?

any and all advice will be most appreciated.

also, i breifly toyed with upgrading to the deluxe plan, not sure what the upcharge would be and i do feel that over all it would to alot of food. but thought it might be worth it to try more sit downs (including signature level) and then i know for sure we would have credits for our check out day.

thanks!

I'd look and see what TS meals are available for your size party. Most have been booking their ADRs 5 months ago.

The regular DDP does NOT come with appetizers, but all TS meals offer them. You'd just have to pay OOP.

Do you have an ipod touch/iphone/ipad? If you do, I recommend you get an app called WDW Dining. It will show you all the Table service and Quick service restaurants, with menus, and will show you which are on DDP.

Are you going this February? If so, you may be limited on which reservations you will be able to get, since people can start booking dining reserations up to 180 days out from their trip. If you're going during President's Day week, it may be extra difficult because it's more crowded. I would look to see what reservations are available before upgrading to the deluxe, because if you can't get some of the TS restaurants you want, it may not be worth it to upgrade, especially since the cost is significantly more. But don't be discouraged about the reservations, just check them often if you can't get the ones you want, check the cancellation posts on these boards, and also check by phone. Time slots open up due to cancellations, etc. You can upgrade to deluxe up to 72 hours before your trip. Also, the deluxe plan allows you to order an appetizer with each TS meal. The regular plan does not allow for this, so you would pay OOP for apps.

As others have said book ADR's now. If you don't have your heart set on any of the most popular places you should be fine. If you don't mind eating at off time you should be able to get almost anything. You can book ADR's online and you can also book multiples for the same time. Just remember once you have your plan set you should cancel the ones you don't want.

Some great CS places are:

Wolfgang Puck and the Earl of Sandwich - DTD
Pacos Bills & Columbia House - MK
Flame Tree Bar B Que - AK
Seasons Grill - Epcot

We always have credits left. On check out day go to the food court at your resort and buy snacks to take with you. You can use three snacks as a meal if you have meals left over.

Check out the Restaurant Board here for great advise.

We love the DDP! The deluxe is nice, but like others have said, if you are going next month you may have difficulty getting ADRs.

In regards to great places to dine, here are some of our favorite 1TS places:

1) Teppan Edo (excellent food and fun chef's)
2) Whispering Canyon (we love the atmosphere)
3) 50's Prime Time (great staff and atmosphere)
4) Le Cellier (but I heard they are signature now, which is not worth it IMHO)
5) At least one character meal. We like the Crystal Palace for food, Chef Mickey's for characters.

For 2TS experiences, our favorites are Yachtsman for the great steaks and fancy atmosphere and Hoop Dee Doo for the show, food, and bottomless beer and sangria!

We don't really have any favorite quick service experiences. We usually do the Pizza Planet place in HS, Columbia Harbor at MK, Earl of Sandwich at DTD (love it), Cantina De San Angel at Epcot, and Flame Tree at AK.

Hope this helps in your planning. It is so much fun to plan, especially food!

As others have said book ADR's now. If you don't have your heart set on any of the most popular places you should be fine. If you don't mind eating at off time you should be able to get almost anything. You can book ADR's online and you can also book multiples for the same time. Just remember once you have your plan set you should cancel the ones you don't want.

Some great CS places are:

Wolfgang Puck and the Earl of Sandwich - DTD
Pacos Bills & Columbia House - MK
Flame Tree Bar B Que - AK
Seasons Grill - Epcot

We always have credits left. On check out day go to the food court at your resort and buy snacks to take with you. You can use three snacks as a meal if you have meals left over.Check out the Restaurant Board here for great advise.

Good points. Do be careful with the 3 snacks =1 meal though, technically that isn't part of the plan (even though some food courts at value hotels have been known to allow it), so you can try but don't count on it, they don't have to do this.
We always use up leftover snacks on the last day, but we usually go to DTD last day and hit Goofy's Snacks (or whatever it's called) :)

We love the DDP! The deluxe is nice, but like others have said, if you are going next month you may have difficulty getting ADRs.

In regards to great places to dine, here are some of our favorite 1TS places:

1) Teppan Edo (excellent food and fun chef's)
2) Whispering Canyon (we love the atmosphere)
3) 50's Prime Time (great staff and atmosphere)
4) Le Cellier (but I heard they are signature now, which is not worth it IMHO)
5) At least one character meal. We like the Crystal Palace for food, Chef Mickey's for characters.

For 2TS experiences, our favorites are Yachtsman for the great steaks and fancy atmosphere and Hoop Dee Doo for the show, food, and bottomless beer and sangria!

We don't really have any favorite quick service experiences. We usually do the Pizza Planet place in HS, Columbia Harbor at MK, Earl of Sandwich at DTD (love it), Cantina De San Angel at Epcot, and Flame Tree at AK.

Hope this helps in your planning. It is so much fun to plan, especially food!

Very good input... LeCellier is indeed 2TS for dinner now, but still just 1TS for lunch, which isn't a bad way to go IMO. Just plan a late lunch. Chances are, you can't get this one in February because it books out way early, but if are flexible with your time to eat and willing to eat at off hours, you may be surprised and get all the places you want!

Thank you everyone! This was a very last minute trip, so I understand that we may not get the ADR's we would love, but we are just so surprised and excited to be going now that we will be happy with whatever we get!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter