1st visit: Trying to decide between AKL standard room and POR Princess Suite

For less than $100, I think you made the right choice. I've stayed in both and I think you would have a great vacation in either, they are both lovely but AKL is home to us. We've stayed at every resort except POP and what I love about AKL is that it's so relaxing. I love that it's away from everything. Plus it's absolutely gorgeous. Your longest bus ride will be MK and it will Take about 20 minutes, just FYI. Take at least 1 day to just hang out at the resort, there's always a ton of activities. We are the same way about animals, we actually have 3 fish, though. I find it so odd that I in no, way, shape or form have any desire to visit Africa or go on a safari, yet I just love AKL.

We do sound similar! Thanks for sharing your experiences! I appreciate it! :)

I was planning a solo trip with 2 kids this summer and deciding between the same two resorts. Because of my familiarity with AKL, and the fact that I would be doing it solo, I opted to stick with AKL. We LOVE the animals. We LOVE the pools. We LOVE the food. We LOVE the activities. You can book a standard room and still end up with a "partial savanna view" room. We have only booked a savanna view room one time, but we have received a savanna view (or partial savanna) 3 or 4 additional times. If you call to add "Kudu trail" to your room request there is a greater chance of getting one of these part-savanna view rooms. The activities at the resort are great, and during our stay the kids love trying to earn all their beads from the bead activities. POR looks like it has some fun areas for the kids, but I have yet to stay at a resort that offers as many activities as we've enjoyed at AKL (they may be out there, but perhaps the animal theming of all the AKL activities has made us more inclined to seek them out). Happy travels, whatever you decide!

I was planning a solo trip with 2 kids this summer and deciding between the same two resorts. Because of my familiarity with AKL, and the fact that I would be doing it solo, I opted to stick with AKL. We LOVE the animals. We LOVE the pools. We LOVE the food. We LOVE the activities. You can book a standard room and still end up with a "partial savanna view" room. We have only booked a savanna view room one time, but we have received a savanna view (or partial savanna) 3 or 4 additional times. If you call to add "Kudu trail" to your room request there is a greater chance of getting one of these part-savanna view rooms. The activities at the resort are great, and during our stay the kids love trying to earn all their beads from the bead activities. POR looks like it has some fun areas for the kids, but I have yet to stay at a resort that offers as many activities as we've enjoyed at AKL (they may be out there, but perhaps the animal theming of all the AKL activities has made us more inclined to seek them out). Happy travels, whatever you decide!

Thank you for the advice! I will have to look into the bead activities. That is a great trip about the Kudu trail. I was beginning to make peace with the lack of Savannah view.......... thinking, I could request to be close to the lobby to shorten our walking times after a long day at the parks. Is it a far walk to Kudu trail? (I talked with someone recently who said they saved and saved to be able to stay in a Savannah view and then every night they where like why did we do that? when they had to walk all the way to the end of the hotel every evening)

Thank you for the advice! I will have to look into the bead activities. That is a great trip about the Kudu trail. I was beginning to make peace with the lack of Savannah view.......... thinking, I could request to be close to the lobby to shorten our walking times after a long day at the parks. Is it a far walk to Kudu trail? (I talked with someone recently who said they saved and saved to be able to stay in a Savannah view and then every night they where like why did we do that? when they had to walk all the way to the end of the hotel every evening)
You don't have to walk that far to see the animals. They have many, many, many viewing areas all over the resort. I suggest seeing each of the 3 savannahs, they all have different animals. Kudu trail is the left wing, zebra is the right wing. So really you could end up anywhere along that wing. You have a better chance with kudu because zebra has the pool that takes up half of that wing. There are rooms above the "people pins" ( fenced areas on the savannahs to keep people away from the animals in the event of an evacuation), these overlook the savannahs but are considered standard view.

The one time we reserved a Savanna view, we were in one of the 5 farthest rooms from the Jambo lobby, I'm sure. We were on the 5th floor in the last room on our side of the hall ALL THE WAY at the end of the long hall on the right half of the building. It seemed ridiculous. Each time we got a part-savanna view we were on Kudu trail, about 1/3 down the hall and right next to an elevator. AKL Jambo is designed with 4 hallways off the lobby (Kidani has 2), each called a "trail." The name "Kudu" is just their way of differentiating which trail you are on. Kudu is one of the two longer trails at Jambo, but it is aimed at Kidani, so you're pretty much surrounded by savanna on both sides of the hall. You can google a map of AKL for a better understanding of the shape and arrangement of the two resorts. Kidani is DVC villas only, and Jambo has standard rooms on lower levels and villas on floors 4 & 5. I think the 6th floor is club level. I think we've been on Kudu trail 3 times. Two of them were rooms just 2-3 doors apart, separate stays. Another was the exact same room location, but two floors lower. The "online check-in" feature used to allow you to specify your request for Kudu in the room options (just like you can request "near elevator" or "ground floor"), but the latest list doesn't include a box for Kudu trail, so I called WDW and had the requests added to my reservation that way. We shall see if it worked when I get there. I'm sort of afraid to complete the online check-in because I don't know if doing it online will "erase" the phone requests they have on my reservation. I've already had 50/50 success and a love/hate relationship with online check-in, so I'm thinking I won't risk it....but I guess that's another topic completely.

I've stayed at both and can honestly say, you will love whichever resort you choose, both are great.
In my honest opinion, I liked POR better. The layout was better. I loved the landscaping and walks outside (AKL I felt very cooped up with long, dark, indoor hallways). I loved being on the water at POR and taking the boat to DS. The bus system had good and bad points at both resorts. Although the bus rides were shorter at POR. The pools were great at both. The QS restaurant at POR was much better than AKL.
You can always go over to AKL and walk around and see the animals and theming even if you stay at POR, you only can't use the pool.
I would save the money, stay at POR and spend the extra cash on some other experience or treat. If you want to contact me directly, I can answer any specific questions you might have. My daughter and I absolutely LOVED POR. We were very surprised by this.

I've stayed at both and can honestly say, you will love whichever resort you choose, both are great.
In my honest opinion, I liked POR better. The layout was better. I loved the landscaping and walks outside (AKL I felt very cooped up with long, dark, indoor hallways). I loved being on the water at POR and taking the boat to DS. The bus system had good and bad points at both resorts. Although the bus rides were shorter at POR. The pools were great at both. The QS restaurant at POR was much better than AKL.
You can always go over to AKL and walk around and see the animals and theming even if you stay at POR, you only can't use the pool.
I would save the money, stay at POR and spend the extra cash on some other experience or treat. If you want to contact me directly, I can answer any specific questions you might have. My daughter and I absolutely LOVED POR. We were very surprised by this.
I went ahead and switched to AKL but i have been worried about the exact things you mentioned, dark long hallways, and we are not big animal people. (I know that sounds awful! But DH and DD have horrible allergies and we live near the STL zoo, so we are spoiled that way I guess) I am also worried about making early morning ADRs. Also, I am a princes person! (more than my daughter!) But, I was worried about lots of extra walking if we stayed at POR and since it is everyone's first trip, I want to make sure they have a great time. I am worried I am trying to pack too much in as it is. I am beginning to second guess myself!

The one time we reserved a Savanna view, we were in one of the 5 farthest rooms from the Jambo lobby, I'm sure. We were on the 5th floor in the last room on our side of the hall ALL THE WAY at the end of the long hall on the right half of the building. It seemed ridiculous. Each time we got a part-savanna view we were on Kudu trail, about 1/3 down the hall and right next to an elevator. AKL Jambo is designed with 4 hallways off the lobby (Kidani has 2), each called a "trail." The name "Kudu" is just their way of differentiating which trail you are on. Kudu is one of the two longer trails at Jambo, but it is aimed at Kidani, so you're pretty much surrounded by savanna on both sides of the hall. You can google a map of AKL for a better understanding of the shape and arrangement of the two resorts. Kidani is DVC villas only, and Jambo has standard rooms on lower levels and villas on floors 4 & 5. I think the 6th floor is club level. I think we've been on Kudu trail 3 times. Two of them were rooms just 2-3 doors apart, separate stays. Another was the exact same room location, but two floors lower. The "online check-in" feature used to allow you to specify your request for Kudu in the room options (just like you can request "near elevator" or "ground floor"), but the latest list doesn't include a box for Kudu trail, so I called WDW and had the requests added to my reservation that way. We shall see if it worked when I get there. I'm sort of afraid to complete the online check-in because I don't know if doing it online will "erase" the phone requests they have on my reservation. I've already had 50/50 success and a love/hate relationship with online check-in, so I'm thinking I won't risk it....but I guess that's another topic completely.

Thanks for the great tips! I wondered the same thing about online check in. I read somewhere that sometimes sending a fax works?

I went ahead and switched to AKL but i have been worried about the exact things you mentioned, dark long hallways, and we are not big animal people. (I know that sounds awful! But DH and DD have horrible allergies and we live near the STL zoo, so we are spoiled that way I guess) I am also worried about making early morning ADRs. Also, I am a princes person! (more than my daughter!) But, I was worried about lots of extra walking if we stayed at POR and since it is everyone's first trip, I want to make sure they have a great time. I am worried I am trying to pack too much in as it is. I am beginning to second guess myself!
Honestly go with your gut. You can't go wrong at either resort. Just give yourself lots of time for early morning travel.
No stress, no worry, just enjoy. Like I said before, both resorts are great. AKL was my husband's fav.

Hello!! I am planning our family's first visit to WDW this September. (I am the only one who has been and it was as a child 20+ yrs ago.) We will be celebrating my daughter's golden birthday! (turning 10 on the 10th) We are a family of 3 staying 7 nights. I currently have a POR princess suite booked. I am thinking about changing to AKL standard view. (can't afford Savannah view) We will spend a lot of time at the parks as it is our first time, but I also want to make sure and build in plenty of pool and resort time.

We do have a couple early ADRs and I am worried about transportation issues when taking the bus. Is there a difference in transportation times between the two resorts?

Also, we aren't super adventurous eaters.... are the majority of foods at AKL African inspired?

I would appreciate any insight! Thank you so much!!!
Have stayed in both, AKL would be my suggestions with out a doubt

Personally I think 7 days is too short to bother with a split stay. But I am one who settles in and it would be a bummer to have to be packing up 3-4 days in. But others enjoy the move.
Yes 7 days is short, when we do 7 day split stay we do last 4 days at GF to use the cabana during the move day
Personally, I don't like Split Stays. I am a "nester". I like to unpack and settle in for the week. Plus with a Split Stay you are "homeless" on move day.
I would choose one resort for this trip and help your husband relax and enjoy Disney

OP, I think you made the right choice. We have stayed at almost every resort on property and until I stayed at AKL, POR was always my favorite. I love the theming there and the landscaping is just gorgeous. However my new favorite is AKL. We go often in September and our last two September visits have been at AKL. I absolutely love relaxing in that pool. The CM's are some of the nicest we've ever encountered on Disney property. For the deal you got, you absolutely made the right choice. You won't regret it.

OP, I think you made the right choice. We have stayed at almost every resort on property and until I stayed at AKL, POR was always my favorite. I love the theming there and the landscaping is just gorgeous. However my new favorite is AKL. We go often in September and our last two September visits have been at AKL. I absolutely love relaxing in that pool. The CM's are some of the nicest we've ever encountered on Disney property. For the deal you got, you absolutely made the right choice. You won't regret it.

We are going in September so it is great to see you had great experiences in Sept. How was transportation while you were there? That is one of the main things I am worried about. I looked earlier at Wilderness Lodge just for kicks but there aren't any discounts and the price would be much higher. (we are doing 3 MK days and maybe MNSSHP and I was worried about transportation issues when we are tired.

I just read on one of the threads here that there is drumming in AKL until after 10pm and that it drove the poster crazy and they couldn't sleep. Has anyone ever had that experience?

We are going in September so it is great to see you had great experiences in Sept. How was transportation while you were there? That is one of the main things I am worried about. I looked earlier at Wilderness Lodge just for kicks but there aren't any discounts and the price would be much higher. (we are doing 3 MK days and maybe MNSSHP and I was worried about transportation issues when we are tired.

Unfortunately I'm not the best person to ask about transportation. We always have a car there and use it most days. We do use the bus on MK days and have never had a problem. I don't ever remember waiting very long for a bus coming or going. Make sure to request anything other than a parking lot view. We always book standard as well and have found rooms we love on the zebra trail that are considered standard but have a partial savanna view and a partial pool view. The best thing about that particular hallway is the exterior stairwell right outside of the room that takes you directly to the pool deck. The location is also relatively close to the lobby and the restaurants.

Hello!! I am planning our family's first visit to WDW this September. (I am the only one who has been and it was as a child 20+ yrs ago.) We will be celebrating my daughter's golden birthday! (turning 10 on the 10th) We are a family of 3 staying 7 nights. I currently have a POR princess suite booked. I am thinking about changing to AKL standard view. (can't afford Savannah view) We will spend a lot of time at the parks as it is our first time, but I also want to make sure and build in plenty of pool and resort time.

We do have a couple early ADRs and I am worried about transportation issues when taking the bus. Is there a difference in transportation times between the two resorts?

Also, we aren't super adventurous eaters.... are the majority of foods at AKL African inspired?

I would appreciate any insight! Thank you so much!!!

I didn't see anyone post this but your title and the above bold ............. POR Royal rooms (Princess) are not suites. They are a regular room, just decorated different.

Stayed at both, love them both but hands down if the difference wasn't much I would book AKL. There is nothing like that in this country, stunning hotel. It truly has no negative for us and I would gladly stay in Standard because there are so many places to observe the animals, or enjoy the artwork and the pool area is great ... lots of kids activities, music.

My family stayed in a POR princess room a couple of years ago. While the resort was great and the room was great, I realized what Disney did here was to specially renovate these princess rooms at POR and the pirate rooms at CBR to entice guests to want to stay in these areas as they are the furthest areas from the Food court/pool area.
They are a bit of a bait and switch, but if you don't mind walking a bit further the princess room is a fun room.

The princess rooms are some of the closest to the lobby. We always got off at the lobby bus stop and walked to our room because it was quicker than riding the bus to the last stop.

Unfortunately I'm not the best person to ask about transportation. We always have a car there and use it most days. We do use the bus on MK days and have never had a problem. I don't ever remember waiting very long for a bus coming or going. Make sure to request anything other than a parking lot view. We always book standard as well and have found rooms we love on the zebra trail that are considered standard but have a partial savanna view and a partial pool view. The best thing about that particular hallway is the exterior stairwell right outside of the room that takes you directly to the pool deck. The location is also relatively close to the lobby and the restaurants.

That is great advice! My daughter has been taking swimming lessons this summer (has always been terrified of going under water) but is determined to know how to swim before we go to Disney! So I think we will end up at the pool a lot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter