1st Week of December / Pop Warner

get_us_to_WDW

Earning My Ears
I have my first trip home (to BCV 2bdrm) planned for the first week of December. (Self, husband, 8yo DD, 3yo DS and my parents). We picked that week based on all the comments on this board regarding the "value" of early December - lots of festivity with low point usage! I didn't read or know anything about the Pop Warner Tournament (taking place the first week of December) until after we booked. Changing at this point is not an option (airfare has been booked, etc.) So I was just wondering if this Pop Warner event will affect our trip in any significant way? And, if so, any advice? I've read comments (only two or three) that some folks purposely avoided that week. This is supposed to be a low-key, non-commando type trip for us, so I am hopeful we won't be negatively impacted at all. Any insight appreciated!

I don't avoid that week--I avoid the value resorts at that time! The Pop Warner crowd also spills over into the moderates at times. At the BCV, you'll be fine. :goodvibes

I really didn't notice them in the parks. I think they have special events, and I'm sure they do spend some time in the parks, but their focus is football! :teeth:

I have heard some horror stories about this group, but as the previous posted said, 90% of them are about things that happen at the value resorts where they mostly are staying. Go, have a wonderful time. Check the theme park boards for info about which parks to avoid which days (I have always heard avoid MK on Saturdays - but we sometimes go anyway :) )

Other than lots of kids in similar shirts and the occasional spontanious outburst of cheers, I bet you wont notice them.

ITA with MdmMim and lllovell - doubt you'll even notice them. Since the MK, AK & MGM close relatively early during the that time, you won't even notice if they have a special event at one of the parks (after hours) just for their group.

If you should encounter a large group of them (not very likely), just hop somewhere else.

You've chosen a great time to go (we'll be there,too). Don't worry. You'll wish you could stay even longer.

Best wishes -

We have been down during the Pop Warner tournaments a couple of times, and while they were noticeable, they were not a problem for us at the parks.

I went during Pop Warner week 2 years ago. Staying at BCV, I never would have known they were there. The only time I knew was occassionally, when I was in a park, I'd see a few girls around that age, with hair in rollers. Obviously they were official or unofficial cheerleaders getting ready for some "big event". I thought it was cute!

don't go visit the Wide world of sports either.

that is where they will be mostly.

Most of the pop warner programs from my area stay at the Value resorts with a few at the Moderates. Haven't heard of any staying at a DVC property!! They are busy during the day practicing and competitng but I beleive MGM opens for them on the Friday night for a special party!!!

Thanks for the reassurance!! I guessed as much but am glad to hear it from you DVC veterans!

I was there the last 3 or 4 years during Pop Warner. It was no big deal. We stayed at BWV, they weren't staying there. You did see them around the parks in small groups but it did not affect crowd levels.

What are the dates for the PW? We're considering a Fri night 12/9 at PoP, but may re-think that if we're going to have a bunch of screaming kids around.

cruise-o-matic said:
What are the dates for the PW? We're considering a Fri night 12/9 at PoP, but may re-think that if we're going to have a bunch of screaming kids around.
December 4 - 10

We were there years ago (12/98). We were staying at Dixie Landings (as it was still called then) and there were tons of them. Couldn't even swim in the main pool because they were making pyramid formations and hogging the hot tub all night. But we really didn't notice them in the parks too much.

We go almost every year this week and I never knew they were there! We are usually at home- BWV. Maybe that's why.

Learn something new everyday.........

We went this time 2 years ago and it wasn't too bad. (The only place we saw them was at night at MK) We did have some line cutting problems (one holds the line and then 15 teenagers jump in) type of thing. The only other problem is that my dd got knocked into and almost over because the group of kids were chasing each other and not looking where they were going. If we see a lot of kids running loose, then we'll just head to another park.

You won't see them in the parks much but watch out for the tours from Brazil and other places they like to take over the parks you will know who they are as they usually carry a flag around with them and all wear the same shirts and usually barge through the lines like bulls. We love that time of year and never change it and we also start our trip with a night at one of the All Stars and the weekend is spent at the All Stars also. You will find it is usually the parents that are the unruly ones not the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter