2 bedroom 7 month availability

qwerty2k

Mouseketeer
We’ve booked our first dvc stay for 9 nights February 8th 2024 currently have 2 deluxe studios booked at vgf. Was thinking of maybe trying to swap at 7months for a 2 bedroom instead.

Is it realistic to expect any availability for 9 consecutive nights at 7months (ssr, okw and akl are more likely?)

Have up to 450 points to use.

Would love a beach club or boardwalk but appreciate they are very difficult to book.

How about a wilderness lodge (either copper creek or boulder ridge?).

Just want to prepare myself a bit for either ‘yes it’s possible but you need to get on asap at 7months’ or just be (very) happy with 2 studios at vgf.

9 nights is a lot so that might be tough at the near park resorts…one option is to try a split stay if some of the nights are there, and then use waitlist and stalking to try and get all at one place.

The time you have, Feb 8-17 results in a departure date two days before Presidents' Day, Feb 19. For that period in 2023, the like time was Feb 9-18, since Presidents' Day was the 20th. A problem you have is that come July 8, 2023, exactly 7 months out, you will be able to reserve only Feb 8-15, the nights of 15 and 16 will require waiting until July 9 and 10 to add them. In essence, if you make the change exactly 7 months out July 8 and get a 2BR for 7 nights, you have the risk that the nights of the 15th and 16th could disappear before you can get them even if shown as open on July 8. I mention that because the riskiest night you will have for getting a 2BR will be Feb 16, as that starts the Presidents' Day weekend.

Nevertheless, as to availability be aware the following existed for the comparable Feb 9-18 period in 2023: SSR, OKW, Kidani standard and savanna view, Riviera preferred view, and BLT lake view 2BRs were open as long as you booked 7 nights starting July 9 and added the last two nights by July 11. As to other 2BRs there were nights missing before July 9, and for all of them the night of Friday, Feb 17, was gone before July 11.

Last edited:

The time you have, Feb 8-17 results in a departure date two days before Presidents's Day, Feb 19. For that period in 2023, the like time was Feb 9-18, since Presidents' Day was the 20th. A problem you have is that come July 8, 2023, exactly 7 months out, you will be able to reserve only Feb 8-15, the nights of 15 and 16 will require waiting until July 9 and 10 to add them. In essence, if you make the change exactly 7 months out July 8 and get a 2BR for 7 nights, you have the risk that the nights of the 15th and 16th could disappear before you can get them even if shown as open on July 8. I mention that because the riskiest night you will have for getting a 2BR will be Feb 16, as that starts the Presidents's Day weekend.

Nevertheless, as to availability be aware the following existed for the comparable Feb 9-18 period in 2023: SSR, OKW, Kidani standard and savanna view, Riviera preferred view, and BLT lake view 2BRs were open as long as you booked 7 nights starting July 9 and added the last two nights by July 11. As to other 2BRs there were nights missing before July 9, and for all of them the night of Friday, Feb 17, was gone before July 11.
Thank you so much for such a detailed reply. As a dvc newbie I hadn’t considered the 7 nights only being available in the exact 7 month window so good of you to mention.

I am confused. If you booked two studios, why did you not book the 2 bedroom when you booked your two studios? Or did you mean you want the 2 bedroom at a different location than Grand Floridian?

Last edited:
I am confused. If you booked two studios, why did you not book the 2 bedroom when you booked your two studios? Or did you mean you want the 2 bedroom at a different location than Grand Floridian?
I don’t have enough points for a 2 bedroom at vgf and at the time thought 2 studios would be best anyway. Now having second thoughts and wondering if a 2 bedroom may be better so now wondering what availability may be like since I don’t have enough points for my home resort.

Since you own at the VGF & this will be your first stay w/ your DVC points why not do a split stay & try out the resort studios for half your stay (or keep the deluxe studios that you have) & then move into a dedicated 2 br. in the original building for the second half of your stay? Since it’s the same resort it’s a super easy move. I dislike moving for a split stay but we did it last winter spending a couple of nights in BPK since I wanted to experience the building & then moving to our preferred 1 br.. I actually loved the location of the resort studios building, but it was nice to have the space & the washer/dryer in the 1 br. for the last several days of our trip.

We booked a 2BR for 9 nights at VGF 7 months out a few years ago.

Other resorts we have been able to book a 2BR at 7mos include: BRV, SSR, OKW, Kidani

I too would love BWV or BCV, but have never been able to get one.

Edited to add: We own at BLT and often stay there booking at 11 mos.

BW is impossible. They are all lockoffs.

I've booked BC 2BR quite a bit, but 9 days is going to be tough. I doubt this is possilbe.

There just aren't a lot of 2BRs in the system. It doesn't take a lot of bookings to block a 9 day reservation. If you are willing to split stay, this is probably possible on one half or the other of the trip, maybe even at BC.

If you decide to try for a split stay - say 5/4 or 4/5, best to book 2 reservations @ your home resort now, so that when 7 months rolls around you can modify one of the reservations w/out risking losing it & you wouldn’t need to touch the other half at all. Plus if you don’t get any availability that you like at 7 months you can waitlist for one or both of the splits & a 4 or 5 night waitlist has a marginally better chance of filling than a 9 night waitlist.

I don’t have enough points for a 2 bedroom at vgf and at the time thought 2 studios would be best anyway. Now having second thoughts and wondering if a 2 bedroom may be better so now wondering what availability may be like since I don’t have enough points for my home resort.
Ok, I would keep your two studios and see what you can get in a 2br at 7 months out.

You definitely can stitch 9 days together. You might be able to do a full 9 at AKL/SSR/OKW, but definitely so if you split stay.

I'm going to toss in another problem here (because I'm in the same boat).

I believe you would have to cancel one of your studios to free up the points needed to modify one of your studios to a 2 bedroom.... unless I'm missing something.

I believe you would have to cancel one of your studios to free up the points needed to modify one of your studios to a 2 bedroom.... unless I'm missing something.
Depends if you have points enough to cover without.

That is correct. So there is potential of not getting the 2 bed I would want and also losing the studio.

I think we may just stick with two studios more. It’s me, my wife and our 2 small kids (3 and 1) plus my parents going so maybe having different rooms could give us more private space.

You can always borrow points to make a reservation for a 2 Bedroom at the GFV and then at 7 months try to change using your borrowed points first .

You can always borrow points to make a reservation for a 2 Bedroom at the GFV and then at 7 months try to change using your borrowed points first .

I am in a similar boat for May 2024 - I have Me + My Sister / BIL and One Neph + Another Neph, wife an 3 kids ( one is an infant) plus a third Neph for 10 total.

I was between:
2 treehouses
2 OKW 2 BR + studio
2 SSR 2 br + studio
2 VWL 2 BR + studio ( very little chance of 2 lock-offs and a studio at 7 months)

@Yankee626 has the right idea - I will book 2 RR 2 BR using borrowed and banked direct points, and then if they absolutely must do the treehouses I will switch at 7 months. I forgot about the possibility of just using the borrowed and banked direct, and supplementing with my resale BW/Poly so I could save and bank my direct RR points if we switch.

I am dreading the treehouses as I hear they can be quite awful in the rain with small children and an infant. I really want to do the 2 RR 2 BR lock-offs as they will be the most comfortable and I feel like the kids will have better pools and not feel trapped in case of bad weather.

With your mix - You may be able to snag 1 2 br at BLT Lakeview or a BR/CC 2BR ( will be a bit small) - I would go for a lockoff for the privacy if possible.

Last edited:
That is correct. So there is potential of not getting the 2 bed I would want and also losing the studio.

I think we may just stick with two studios more. It’s me, my wife and our 2 small kids (3 and 1) plus my parents going so maybe having different rooms could give us more private space.
When our kids were small, studios worked great. One would take the pullout, the other, we would fit a air mattress between pullout and tv area. Im sorry, Ive never stayed at GFV before, so not sure of sleeping arrangements. But when my parents would go, we would get them a studio as well, and it did work well, they would have their privacy, same for us. I see the only downside to a studio as not having a full kitchen. But it wasn't a deal breaker. As kids got older, boy and girl, they needed their own space, so 1 bedrooms and 2 bedrooms became better suited to us.

Once you stay in a 1 bed and 2 bed, its tough to go back to studios with kids in tow.

We generally prefer multiple studios. Only looking for a 2 bedroom because we'll be celebrating Christmas (early) while there since one of my daughters will be working at Disney. A place for a little tree and some gifts would be nice. Otherwise, give me the point savings and separate rooms!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter