2 bedroom with grandparents??

Lacincotta

Earning My Ears
Hello. I'm looking to rent points from davids DVC, I will be traveling with a 4 and 6 year old,myself,husband and my parents. We are going for 9 nights. Would you suggest booking two studios or a two bedroom? I like the idea of having a kitchen but am thinking having our own space to go back to may be better??? Anyone traveled with the grandparents and have thoughts on this?

For that many people for that long, I think either a one bedroom and a studio or a two bedroom is the way to go. I'd price both out. The one and two bedrooms both have full kitchen and washer and dryer. If you get a two bedroom lock off at either AK or Bay Lake, you will get three bathrooms because the one bedroom has two baths. A reg two bedroom will only have two baths. We've traveled with other people in a two bedroom, not grandparents. You can always close bedroom doors for alone time. But that's another reason to like the lock off. You can actually 'lock' the door between the studio and the one bedroom so that whoever is in the studio gets one bath, complete privacy and even coffee maker and microwave of their own.

We have this same trip planned with grandparents. I rented points and it was cheaper to rent a 2 bedroom than 2 studios. We rented at Bay Lake Tower so that grandparents could easily get back to the room if they got tired.

Hello. I'm looking to rent points from davids DVC, I will be traveling with a 4 and 6 year old,myself,husband and my parents. We are going for 9 nights. Would you suggest booking two studios or a two bedroom? I like the idea of having a kitchen but am thinking having our own space to go back to may be better??? Anyone traveled with the grandparents and have thoughts on this?
We are the grandparents who rented a 2 bedroom villa to share with our son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren. The villa was great. We had total privacy by shutting the bedroom door. And when we wanted to spend time together, we had the living room for a common area. And the best part was that the kids could sleep while the parents went out and grandma and grandpa babysat. It was a win-win for everyone. And the washer, dryer and coffee pot were great, too. :)

Keep in mind that you might not get two studios near each other.

We have this same trip planned with grandparents. I rented points and it was cheaper to rent a 2 bedroom than 2 studios. We rented at Bay Lake Tower so that grandparents could easily get back to the room if they got tired.
How did d you manage to get a two bedroom for cheaper than two studios?

We travelled with both sets of grandparents this past May. We found having our own space to be priceless. Honestly, POR and POFQ were the perfect distance apart for us.

How did d you manage to get a two bedroom for cheaper than two studios?
That's exactly what I was thinking. Two one bedrooms would be more than a two bedroom, but two studios should be less than a two bedroom villa.

When we brought my husband's parents with us (and our son who was about five at the time), we booked a two bedroom villa at OKW. They had the second bedroom to themselves and we had the master bedroom. I think we got a lockoff so that would give them two queen beds, plus a kitchenette of their own to make their morning coffee.

Your trip sounds similar to our trip in 2012. We loved our two bedroom at BLT. We saved money by making our own breakfast every day. We also took fewer clothes as we had laundry in the suite. There was lots of space for all 6 of us, and being close to MK was amazing. The kids were young and in bed somewhat early every night and we sat on the balcony and enjoyed the fireworks every evening with a drink. We're doing it again this December!

If you get a two bedroom lock off at either AK or Bay Lake, you will get three bathrooms because the one bedroom has two baths. A reg two bedroom will only have two baths.
My stays have had the opposite: My dedicated two bedroom at BLT had 3 bathrooms. At AK Jambo, my two bedroom lock off had "only" two baths.

With the size of your party a 2 bedroom would leave everyone with enough privacy but also give you the advantage of a kitchen and in room washer/dryer. When the doors are shut to the bedrooms there is more than enough privacy.

We rented a 2 bedroom at OKW with my family and my sisters family, we had the master she had the 2nd bedroom, it had a little Kitchenette and a nice bathroom, she could easily shut the door and it was quiet.
I loved the size of the kitchen and living area, loved having a washer dryer at our convince. We did use the range, heated up ribs we bought on our way out of AK and they were amazing!
My vote is a 2 bedroom

Last edited:
Which resort are you looking at? We had two 1BR at SSR when we traveled with my inlaws. I'm glad we had separate space! The kids floated between both rooms and we were able to request and got rooms in the same bldg and same floor. I think this is easy to do at SSR, maybe not at other places. SSR emailed several weeks before our trip asking for my preferences and replied back to my request.

If you get a lock off, you get a one bedroom and a studio, rather than a two bedroom. The nice part of the lock off is you can close and lock the door between the two rooms, then you have your one bedroom and they have there studio, in the am when you start breakfast you unlock the door and everyone can go between the two rooms. When you rent, just make sure you ask for a two bedroom lockoff rather than a two bedroom.

AK Kidani two bedroom villa has 3 full bathrooms, as does BLT. We are grandparents who regularly book 2 bedroom villas at AK kidani for our family. It works very well. We book dedicated, as opposed to lock-offs, because we want the kids and grandkids to have two beds in their room. A lock-off has one bed and one pull out sofa. AND our points, our master!! LOL

Keep in mind if you have a dedicated 2 bedroom, the second bedroom will have 2 queens vs if you get a lock off the 2nd bedroom will have 1 queen and 1 pullout couch (with the exception of OKW that would have 2 queens no matter what). If your parents will be in the 2nd bedroom/studio part, it may not matter. But i you were going to be in there with your kids, it may make a difference to you!

That being said, we are in a similar situation as you. 2 kids, 2 parents, and 2 grandparents. We got the 2 bedroom for the benefit of 1) Full kitchen (we plan on breakfast and dinner in the villa) 2) laundry in unit and 3) more overall space. But we travel a lot with my parents, so we're used to sharing common space with them.

If you get a lock off, you get a one bedroom and a studio, rather than a two bedroom. The nice part of the lock off is you can close and lock the door between the two rooms, then you have your one bedroom and they have there studio, in the am when you start breakfast you unlock the door and everyone can go between the two rooms. When you rent, just make sure you ask for a two bedroom lockoff rather than a two bedroom.

Our dedicated at SSR had a door to the bedrooms as well. Just not as intense of a lock situation. :) So there's still the same privacy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter