2 days at Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios?

IamgoingtoDisney

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

We are planning our first & probably on trip to DW in early January 2019 (coming from Australia). It is almost fastpass time & I need to make a decision.

So far in my plan I have 2 days Epcot, 2 days MK and a day each at AK & HS. We will have a day at SeaWorld and have one more day to fill. Which should I choose? I have park hoppers so I can do half/half but wanted to lock in my fastpasses. We are a family of 4 kids ages 12 & 10.

What would you all recommend?

Thank you all for all your help with my planning so far

Hi All,

We are planning our first & probably on trip to DW in early January 2019 (coming from Australia). It is almost fastpass time & I need to make a decision.

So far in my plan I have 2 days Epcot, 2 days MK and a day each at AK & HS. We will have a day at SeaWorld and have one more day to fill. Which should I choose? I have park hoppers so I can do half/half but wanted to lock in my fastpasses. We are a family of 4 kids ages 12 & 10.

I'd keep it the way you have it. You might even be able to do HS in 1/2 day and use the other half as an extra for AK (so you'd really have 1 & 1/2 AK days) but you could only do this if you have Hoppers. Good luck!

Really hard to say.

If you aren't able to get Flight of Passage FP for your first AK day, I'd recommend trying to get one for a second day for AK.
If you aren't able to get Slinky Dog Dash FP for your first HS day, I'd recommend trying to get one for a second day at HS.

Since you have hoppers, splitting your extra day between AK and HS seems like a good idea. Our grandkids would love extra rides on both Rock n Roller Coaster and Expedition Everest, so that's probaby what we would do.

I like your plan. You could park hop Epcot one day to hit AK or HS again if you prefer.

Check magic hours and use them if you are staying on site.

Since you have hoppers, I would focus on the rides the kids would want to FP. If it takes two sets of FP to get all of the HS (or AK) rides that are of most interest, plan two days there knowing you can hop elsewhere when you are done. We hopped every full day during our April trip. Once we had used our first three fast passes, DS11 and DS15 each had other things in mind that the wanted to do. Their most common hopping goals were AK for EE, HS for TOT and RnRC, and MK for the mountains. The only Epcot ride that they are in to is TT (Happily did Soarin', Nemo and SE once....but that was it. )

A lot of good options. At your kids ages, I suspect they would enjoy AK more than HS.
I would also consider a day at Universal. But if you do, be sure to get the express tickets.

We like to have a day to be spontaneous with nothing planned. See what we loved and do it again, or see what we weren't able to do and go do it. Or choose something different.

Universal is a good choice, too.

Thank you all for your responses. We are staying on site at POFQ & have already allocated time at Universal for before we get to DW (staying at Royal Pacific so we have unlimited express)

I thought they would like AK the best but thought we would hop from AK to HS on the day before we leave. They dont know they are going so I am guessing what they would like best for the Fastpasses. So much planning compared to Disneyland where we just did our favourite things on the last day.

I would plan 2nd day in AK w/ the possibility to hop to HS later in the day. We love AK and I could see my kids easily spending a 2nd day in AK. There are so many different trails to walk on and with single rider line, they can go on EE multiple times. If you hop to HS later in the day, you would be able to see both night time shows as well

I think the answer really depends on their interests. Do they like thrill rides? Do they like Star Wars? If so, then without a doubt I'd do HS. If they like animals and Avatar, then go for AK.

We much prefer HS over AK. We could visit HS every day (my kids love Star Wars), but we visit AK once every other trip. Aside from FoP (and the safari for husband and me), AK is very skippable.

Hi All,

That's an easy one for me..Animal Kingdom! Hollywood Studios is my least favorite park. It doesn't flow well and a lot of the snack places start shutting down way and the Fantastic! traffic flow is now completely insane.

Without knowing your family it's hard to say. I'd say split it half and half between AK and HS - you could do one HS night at Fantasmic and the others at the Star Wars Fireworks, and spend the morning and early afternoon re-doing your favorites at AK.

I would try to make early FOP, safari and Everest fastpass at AK and then go to HS to finish the day. If you change your mind mid-trip you can always change your FP to HS.

We took our niece (she was 9, almost 10) in March and she absolutely loved tower of terror and rock n roller coaster. If it was up to her she would’ve picked two days at hs. Maybe have the kids choose ahead of time which rides look the most fun and double up on FPS for those. So if they think fop looks better get two sets of animal kingdom FPS. If they like the Hollywood studios rides better get two sets of those. I think that extra day would be a good half day for either ak or hs and mk.

Others have suggested it, but if your kids have had any interest in Harry Potter I'd definitely do a day at Universal. The Harry Potter inspired areas are amazing and the rides are super fun. It will definitely add some cost to the trip, but if that's not an issue I'd do it.

We usually have one day as a "rest" day, although it doesn't usually turn out to be much less packed. We will do a character breakfast at one of the resorts, go for a swim, have dinner at Hoopty Doo Revue and maybe visit Disney Springs, where we do The Void and watch the outdoor entertainment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter