• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2 excursions in skagway

tanya0369

Earning My Ears
i am trying to decide if there is time to do the Disney exclusive liarsville & then with a different tour do a trip on the bus/train combo afterwards. The last train with the tour leaves at 1:00, but I can't see times yet for the liarsville activity. Can anyone tell me how many times were available for liarsville. Has anyone done this before? Thanks so much

When I did it in 2012 it was only one time. It was in the morning and ended with a salmon bbq, back to the ship early afternoon. Not sure about the type of group you go with but it's orientated towards very little kids. The biggest part is a play and type of treasure hunt. The panning gold where the characters show up was just a small part of the excursion. Then when everything was over, there was that bbq.

If the excursion includes salmon bake (lunch) and going back into town for tourist shopping, I have found the bus returns to the ship around 1:00 or 2:00. Keep in mind that a train departure of 12:45 turns into meeting the group probably around 11:30, checking in, moving off the ship and to the train platform, waiting for your turn to load the cars (you and probably a few other cruise ships), getting a briefing of the train and finally pulling away at 12:45.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm wondering is,
Is the liarsville exclusive activity offered at several different times to choose from?

We did Liarsville last year and I wish we had chosen something else, it was corny and cheesy and a bit boring.

My booking window isn't open, so know way to know what times are offered. But also wanting to do a tour with chilkoot charters for train/bus combo. Don't know if we have time..

My booking window isn't open, so know way to know what times are offered. But also wanting to do a tour with chilkoot charters for train/bus combo. Don't know if we have time..

I would not count on having time. Especially if the train/bus is not DCL. WAY too risky for getting back to the ship on time IMHO if you are doing that after something else.

...the train/bus tour ends at 4:30, & the ship doesn't leave port till 8pm. I'm not worried about making it back to the boat. I just don't know if there is time to do liarsville then train.... Looking to see what liarsville times are available, or if they only offer it once daily.

We did Liarsville in 2014. The only time that was available when our booking time(silver) opened was late morning, I want to say around 11am. I was looking forward to this excursion, but was very disappointed. The food was ok, but they rushed us through the "Camp", mining for gold was like trying to find glitter size gold, and the show was not good at all.

We did Liarsville last June with daughter and her family (5) and had a great time. Daughter does not like fish, so the salmon bake was not for her, but...but when she and the kids panned for gold we had a chance to up it a notch. While they were panning, wife and I went into the gift shop...only ones in there. The clerk told us, "look in the creek." That is all she would say. We went back and told our youngest granddaughter to look in the creek. She did and found gold nuggets (not flakes, and of course they were painted) salted from the bridge left and right. Not a bunch of them, but enough to fill her small bag. Word got out and the "rush" was on. The show was a bit corny, but the kids liked it and they might have learned a bit of Alaska history in the process. Also, on the way into the campground there was a tent labeled, "Press." I figure this is the home/start of fake news. Rest of cruise was awesome.

We did Liarsville last June with daughter and her family (5) and had a great time. Daughter does not like fish, so the salmon bake was not for her, but...but when she and the kids panned for gold we had a chance to up it a notch. While they were panning, wife and I went into the gift shop...only ones in there. The clerk told us, "look in the creek." That is all she would say. We went back and told our youngest granddaughter to look in the creek. She did and found gold nuggets (not flakes, and of course they were painted) salted from the bridge left and right. Not a bunch of them, but enough to fill her small bag. Word got out and the "rush" was on. The show was a bit corny, but the kids liked it and they might have learned a bit of Alaska history in the process. Also, on the way into the campground there was a tent labeled, "Press." I figure this is the home/start of fake news. Rest of cruise was awesome.
What ages is this geared toward. Is age 6-14 too old? How many time slots were available for this activity? Thanks

The character exclusive in Liarsville is fun for young kids, but it quite cheesy for 10+ and adults. It goes from 9-11am, which gives you plenty of time to make the 12:45 afternoon train departure. Or if you’re doing an afternoon bus/train with Chilkoot Charters, they meet you on the pier at 1pm. You’d have plenty of time to do both.

The character exclusive in Liarsville is fun for young kids, but it quite cheesy for 10+ and adults. It goes from 9-11am, which gives you plenty of time to make the 12:45 afternoon train departure. Or if you’re doing an afternoon bus/train with Chilkoot Charters, they meet you on the pier at 1pm. You’d have plenty of time to do both.
Thank you!!!!

What ages is this geared toward. Is age 6-14 too old? How many time slots were available for this activity? Thanks
Our grandkids at the time were 8, 10 and 12. I don't know how many time slots were available. We took the morning one and got back into town (they always want you to shop for a while) around 1ish. After walking around we were on the ship by 2:30. In all, we enjoyed Liarsville. Don't think I would do it again. We live in Oregon, so we drove to Vancouver. This is one DCL cruise (of 8) we would do again.

What time did you have the bbq then? I can't recall our exact times but the bbq was def at the end and more towards lunchtime, def not at 10am...

How many kids will you be with?

We (as three adults) did not enjoy Liarsville at all and the food was just OK. (full review- https://plaidshirtyogapants.com/2017/07/14/skagway-excursion-from-the-disney-wonder/)

We booked BEST OF SKAGWAY SW29 which included the bus tour up, to Canada, train ride back to Alaska, Liarsville with lunch, and a tour of the Red Onion Saloon. It was a full day, but we still had time to walk around the town.

How many kids will you be with?

We (as three adults) did not enjoy Liarsville at all and the food was just OK. (full review- https://plaidshirtyogapants.com/2017/07/14/skagway-excursion-from-the-disney-wonder/)

We booked BEST OF SKAGWAY SW29 which included the bus tour up, to Canada, train ride back to Alaska, Liarsville with lunch, and a tour of the Red Onion Saloon. It was a full day, but we still had time to walk around the town.
We have 4 kids ages 6-14. What were the things that you didn't like?

We have 4 kids ages 6-14. What were the things that you didn't like?

We are in our 30s and mom is in her 60s. The show was cheesey but the younger kids will probably like it at liarsville. I could see a teenager not being on board with the acting, but your kid could be a lot cooler than my 30 year old self :) ha ha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter