2 People, No ADR's...

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
This trip, it will just be my mother and I. We have only one ADR so far and that is for our traditional send-off breakfast at Boma on our departure day.

We will be there for 5 nights (over a weekend) in October but I cannot get myself to book ADRs this time. We want to experience the F&W booths and we aren't sure how much we are going to spend. We want to eat at a few TS restaurants, but I just can't commit to when or where.

So, that being said, do I have a legitimate reason to worry about being "shut out" of TS meals? Id love BoG, but I know that's a no-go. I have no problem with going to the resorts to eat (Jiko and Sanaa are two of my favorites!) so that should help us out in getting a walk up, right? We aren't interested in buffets or character meals either.

Last edited:
You can probably get TS somewhere. ADRs can become available anytime just keep watching. Or check a day or 2 before you want to eat somewhere. People may cancel to avoid the $10 no-show fee.

I think you will be fine to be honest. You are not going during a really heavy time of the year. We have been very lucky and have even walked up to BoG and have been seated within 30 minutes so as long as you are flexible, I do not forsee any major problems and I think you will find way more than you could eat at the F&W Booths. We always have.

The only time I might be a little worried is on the actual weekend itself so maybe just make 1 TS ADR then and you should be good.

Have a great time.

I have gotten many reservations at WDW that I made the night before or even the day of. As long as you are flexible with where you are eating it should be fine. For any resort restaurants that might be out of the way, before heading there, either pull up the app, call the dining number, or stop at any guest services (resort, park, DTD) to see what is available.

I have pulled up B&C with 20 minutes before the reservations, called and gotten reservations for 1 hour later at many resorts, and walked to GS at DHS and gotten 50s PT for an early dinner. I have also walked up at Via Napoli twice, lunch and dinner, and been seated within 20 minutes.

Are you going during the Free Dining offered during October? I'd think that could make a difference.

Walk up wouldn't be my first preference, but you can book ADRs on the fly.

On our first trip, we only booked 2 ADRs in advance of the trip. But each evening, when we figured out where we'd be, we'd call the dining line and see what was available in the area. We always found several openings in the area, and had some great meals.

I would rather do it that way, rather than taking a chance walking up to numerous places. It *might* work out ok, but I would rather call first and book an ADR when it's convenient. Still very spontaneous, but maybe more efficient?

The key is flexibility. You have to be willing to take what's available. If your heart is set on eating somewhere, I'd go ahead and book it. If you're ok with choosing from what's available (which was actually kind of fun), you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Two of us went in March (not free dining). We did not have ADRs. We were staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. We had dinner at Boma. They gave us a pager and I wanted to show my friend where The Mara was. We got halfway there (from Boma) and the pager went off. We had dinner at The Cooking Place (the bar-like area in front of the pizza ovens) at Jiko with about a 10 minute wait. We had dinner at the bar at Sanaa with no wait.

You will be just fine. We typically don't make ADRs until the day of and there are tons of options available. As long you remain flexible with time and locale you will have a wonderful time.

As a two-top your chances at a table service restaurants are better than any other party size. Also, check for ADRs the day before. Lots of people cancel last minute--and you very well could get BOG that way. Good luck and happy travels!

Awesome! Thanks everyone!

I had heard that BoG often has openings for ADR's due to night-before cancellations so maybe I can snag one of them for my birthday dinner:cake:.

I would love to have that freedom! And like pp said a two top is probably best case scenario. Enjoy this time with your mom and I hope BOG pans out for your birthday.

You should be fine. There are a lot of good restaurants at the resorts and most of them will gladly take walk ups. Don't forget about Downtown Disney - there will be some new ones there to try by the time October gets here.

I only make one reservation before I go, for tea at the GF. Otherwise we either go to Guest Relations at Epcot our first day (cause we like that location) and ask what is available each night and go for it. Or the day before we sort of decide which park we are going to be in a hop on MDE and find something. We have been able to get something by walking up but it's rare since there are 3 of us so they usually have to have a 4 top for us.

We do this a lot. I'm so tired of being tied to ADR's!! Unless there is something we really want to try, I just do things day-of now. On our last trip, we walked up to Biergarten, Boathouse, Kimono's, Garden Grove character breakfast, Capt. Grille, The Wave and I've made day-of reservations for Garden Grill, Chef Mickey's, Plaza, etc. If you aren't terribly picky about where you want to eat, you'll find something. We always wait and see where we are and what we feel like eating, then I go on my phone and see what's available about 2 hours out.

Love this thread! I'm looking at doing some ADR's "on the fly" next trip. Go on MDE and search for ADRs for today or tomorrow and see what's out there just for fun. You'll get an idea of what places seem most often available.

If Free Dining you may be challenged but as long as you are very flexible on WHERE you eat, there are always restaurants with openings. If you have your heart set on anything on a specific day, like your birthday then I would book.

We've usually had great luck with no pre-planned ADRs, even for a table of 4. I would just check at night and in the morning and could almost always find something that worked (the most elusive ones like pre-opening for the parks I wouldn't rely upon at the last minute, but I have definitely snagged them just a week ahead of time).

And MDE now makes this so easy!! Remember the days of having to do it by phone or those kiosks?

As a two-top your chances at a table service restaurants are better than any other party size. Also, check for ADRs the day before. Lots of people cancel last minute--and you very well could get BOG that way. Good luck and happy travels!

Boy, do I agree with this! DH and I rarely make ADRs for the two of us, and we've never been "shut out". For two people, the world of TS restaurants opens up! I remember one place where several groups in line in front of us were being turned away "Sorry-no openings today". We didn't leave, but weren't hopeful for availability. Surprisingly, when it came our turn to ask, the CM said "For two? Oh, yes, that's fine!" And a few years ago, during the F&W, we called from our room at BCV for Cape May, and when we got downstairs, they were all ready for us. My guess is that for 2, you'll be fine. And see you in October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter