• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2 singles or a double stroller? (ages 4 and 2)

tinasquirrel

Earning My Ears
We are going to WDW in September for 5 days. I have two boys, turning 4 at Disney(!) and just turned 2. We are going just the four of us. I'm trying to decide if I should bring two singles, or a double. I am going to buy whatever it is that I decide on, so price is a factor. I already own a double, but it's one of those huge tandems that would be just so awful at Disney! So I'm either looking for one of those umbrella fold, lightweight doubles (like Maclaren, Combi, Peg, etc.) or two umbrella singles (something comfy like a Maclaren, combi, etc.). We do have a Chicco caddy that is a nice lightweight umbrella, but I don't think it would be too comfy for all day strolling, and it has no basket.

I'm thinking the two singles might be good because then when the 2yo is tired in the afternoon, we could go take a ride on a train or whatever, while DH takes 4yo on some rides. However, if we took the double, we could still do that, and DH and 4yo would just walk whereever.

They both like the stroller so that won't be a problem. Frequently older DS would rather stroll than walk! However, something like the Maclaren without a tray might be nice because they could then get in and out on their own.

So what do all you experienced Disney go'ers think? Two singles or a double, and what would be an affordable but quality choice?

Thanks!

We took a side by side double for our last trip (ds 3 1/2 and dd 18 mos) and our single Mac Quest. For the parks, we used the double and it was great- it is an old Graco with baskets, but no trays. The only negative was that it has no cup holders, but we got over it! I got it at a garage sale for $20- I would look at garage sales through the summer- maybe you can get something there and save some money. We used our single for places like Downtown Disney where ds would want to walk or it was hard to maneuver the double. Also at the hotel! Good luck with your decision.

By the way, we do rent a car, so having a stroller that doesn't close small wasn't a problem for us, in case that is an issue for you.

Did the double stroller(Graco), it was tough to get through the doors and on the monorail. Next trip tried the 2 single strollers (both my wife and I were there). That worked much better. I could still push both together when my wife and I were separated yet we could go separate ways for potty breaks, etc. Best of luck.

Have you condsidered renting a double at the parks? I pushed both of my (big) boys (4 and 7) in the ones at MGM with no problems at all - and I could never push them both in the one we have at home. I guess the rental ones have larger wheels. They are much easier to control.

We bought a tandem stroller for dd4 and dd17months. We bought the Joovy from BabiesRUs and I can't say enough good things about it. I found out about it on this board and it has been the greatest stroller ever! The front tray pops off if you want both kids to be able to hop in and out more easily. The front looks like a traditional stroller and the back is a small seat and platform that allows the older child to either sit or stand. It is pretty compact and light. Best of all...it did fit on the monorails easily and folded easily to carry on buses. We also wheeled it right up to the ropes/fences for parades and Illuminations. We didn't take up much space at the ropes/fences, and both kids had great views because dd4 could stand up on the seat to see over the stroller and dd17m was sitting in the front stroller seat.

Babytrend makes a tandem that many folks on these boards also like. It is a bit cheaper and is sold at Target. We looked at that one too, but went with the Joovy because it is a bit more lighter and compact. The other one would have been ok though.

I am bringing one single stroller for my then 2.5 year old - a Peg Perego Pliko. This stroller has a step that my daughter can stand on. She can use that when outside the parks. Once inside the parks, we will rent another single stroller. I just don't want to lug 2 strollers around on the buses but I'm sure my dd will get tired and need one.

My boys are also 2 years apart and we've done various stroller combos in the parks. I've done:
-sit and stand stroller when they were 21 months and 3 1/2 (not the best option as when the little one reclines the older one can't sit in back, also the older one faces backwards and he wanted to see out the front)

-a very old and very ugly side by side Graco stroller I got for $10 at a yard sale when they were just turned 2 and one month shy of 4 (worked really well! Hideous colors that made it super easy to spot in stroller parking, big basket, seperate recline on seats, folds flat but WIDE so OK but not great in the parks. We were at the WL and were able to roll it right on to the boat and on to the monorail without a problem. On the monorail it just had to be a handicap car but we never had to wait for a 2nd monorail b/c we couldn't get on. This worked well and they were comfy but it was a tiny bit cumbersome on the busses - worth it though as they were comfortable and not fussy).

-the garage sale Graco literally fell apart after that trip so I had to replace it before I went back for a Mom and kids trip with a girlfriend and her kids so I bought a Chicco Citta Twin side by side umbrella stroller to take with me. The boys were 2 1/2 and 4 at that point. This worked really well for all of our needs. It's not exactly LIGHTWEIGHT at nearly 30 lbs but I had no choice but to have a double since it was just me and my friend and she was bringing her 2 and 4 year olds too. My kids will both GO GO GO at the parks but as soon as you tell them that was our last ride, they want to lay back and go to sleep so renting was out, I needed to be able to push them outside the parks. THis had seperate reclines and seperate canopies (the Graco had one big one). It folded up relatively compact, umbrella style so it was less cumbersome on the busses which was an issue since I was alone. The only negative was that my kids are tall (DH is 6'4" and I'm 5'10") so their combined weight + the weight of the stroller was over 100 lbs so my legs were killing me by the end of the trip!

-Next we took 2 singles for our Christmas week trip figuring it would be easier to navigate crowds without the big wide double (plus the kids were heavier still by then!). The boys were then almost 3 and 4 1/2. We took a Peg Perego Pliko and I bought a new Maclaren Volo. DH and I each pushed one. We came to the conclusion that the Volo was the PERFECT Disney stroller since it was only 8 lbs, folds very tiny, has a carry strap for when it is folded and has a decent basket too. It doesn't recline but our oldest rode in it so no big deal He did fall asleep in it at night and it cradled him really well and he was comfy in it. We would actually race out of attractions to get to the stroller parking to get to push the Maclaren b/c it was so easy to push! Taking 2 singles worked well for us.

-By the next trip the boys were almost 4 and 5 1/2. They were now WAY too heavy for the double so it was 2 singles as our only choice. About 2 weeks before the tip I went to buy another Volo so we'd have 2 to take with us. All I could find was a bright pink one. I was fine with that considering that we don't stroll them anywhere but Disney so who cares...it's convenient and we'd be selling it before long anyway! DH however was adamantly against seeing either of his sons ride in a hot pink stroller. :rolleyes: My youngest was getting too tall for the Pliko, his legs were too long, so I bought a Chicco C5. We love this stroller too and no more fighting for the Volo b/c DH has claimed this as HIS stroller b/c it's got nice and tall handles. 2 singles worked well again.

-Next trip they were just past 4 and turning 6. It was my Mom and I and she would be riding an ECV so I had to push alone. That meant renting as I couldn't ask my almost 6 year old to walk all day in the heat...he could do it but he'd be miserable and whiny and that isn't fun for anyone so we rented doubles. Worked great at MGM but at the other parks they fit but it was a tighter fit than made them happy. It was 95+ degrees every day so HOT and sticky being smooshed up together so we heard lots of "he's in my space!" and "he's touching me again!" Probably would have been fine if it wasn't so hot. Again, my kids are big. My 6 year old is 48" and 58 lbs, by 4 year old is about 44" and 48 lbs.

As far as double or single...here's my take having done both. Know your park style as that is what will be the big factor for you. Are you likely to split up and take the kids on different things? If so is it like one of you will do Fantasy Land with the little one while the other takes the older one on Splash Mountain or is it things like the older one will ride Splash while one takes the little one to see the Country Bears or to the playground at Splash? Are the adults likely to split up? By this I mean that DH and I do this...when we arrive at the MK in the am he used to take the kids to Dumbo and I'd head to get a Fast Pass for Buzz and meet them at Dumbo. They'd be at the front of the line so I'd wait outside and take pictures while they ride. Having a double was better for that. When we took 2 singles, we just had the older one walk that little bit and I pushed an empty stroller. If you are likely to split up that way, a double works great. Another double pro is that when you are all together if one of the kids WANTS to walk, you have an adult free to hold a little hand if it is crowded. On the other hand, if you'll be splitting up and each taking the kids to different things then 2 singles is ideal. Two singles are easier in a big crowd so if you are going at a crowded time, consider that. I never had any issues fitting anywhere with a double, the only time I had trouble was on my mom and kids trip which was during the Food and Wine Festival. It was SO crowded on night at Epcot and I just couldn't move b/c people would push around me and step over the kids legs to get in front of the stroller so I could not move...I was totally stuck. I was alone that night so I was really in a jam. I finally ended up yelling at someone "I WANT TO MOVE TOO! PLEASE DON'T STEP OVER MY KIDS!" I think that would have been an issue with any stroller though being alone with no one to help "block" for me and there were an proportionately higher # of people who had been drinking at those stalls all evening. I have never seen World Showcase so crowded as it was that night...not even Christmas week. On the bus, IMHO it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other b/c you either have 2 smaller strollers or one bigger one (an umbrella fold double is not BIG but it's bigger than a single). If you plan on going more than once and you are buying whatever you take...go for 2 singles. The kids will be able to use them longer.

Didn't mean to write a novel but I hope that helped!

Wow, loved your novel glass slipper girl! Thanks! Lots to think about on the double vs single. Of course, my DH doesn't want me to buy a new stroller at all! But I really feel like we need to. I'm going to sleep on it. I'd love to hear any other personal experience opinions!

I totally agree with Emma's mom about the Joovy sit and stand. We just took it to Disneyland with my 2 year old and 10 month old and it really was great and not as bulky as some other double strollers. At Babies R Us, it only comes in red but if you find it elsewhere, you can get orange (which I have) or blue; I really like the orange since it stands out from other strollers making it easier to find!

stitchgal said:
I totally agree with Emma's mom about the Joovy sit and stand. We just took it to Disneyland with my 2 year old and 10 month old and it really was great and not as bulky as some other double strollers. At Babies R Us, it only comes in red but if you find it elsewhere, you can get orange (which I have) or blue; I really like the orange since it stands out from other strollers making it easier to find!

I'm jealous! I really wanted the orange one, too! However, we went with the red because we could just buy it at BabiesRUs and didn't have to get into mail order. Also, BabiesRUs is so good about returns (not that online places wouldn't be) so we just went with the easiest route! We love it though...and red is fine (just not a "cool looking" as that orange). :) http://www.disboards.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=13340082#

emma'smom said:
We bought a tandem stroller for dd4 and dd17months. We bought the Joovy from BabiesRUs and I can't say enough good things about it. I found out about it on this board and it has been the greatest stroller ever! The front tray pops off if you want both kids to be able to hop in and out more easily. The front looks like a traditional stroller and the back is a small seat and platform that allows the older child to either sit or stand. It is pretty compact and light. Best of all...it did fit on the monorails easily and folded easily to carry on buses. We also wheeled it right up to the ropes/fences for parades and Illuminations. We didn't take up much space at the ropes/fences, and both kids had great views because dd4 could stand up on the seat to see over the stroller and dd17m was sitting in the front stroller seat.

Babytrend makes a tandem that many folks on these boards also like. It is a bit cheaper and is sold at Target. We looked at that one too, but went with the Joovy because it is a bit more lighter and compact. The other one would have been ok though.

We actually OWN the Joovy stroller. I agree -- it's a great stroller at a reasonable price. But we actually are thinking of renting a stroller from the Baby rental place when we go to Disney next May. Our girls will be 2.5 and 4.5 years old. My thought about the Joovy is that the seat isn't great for sleeping. It only reclines slightly, and the back doesn't go up very far, so I'm concerned that by next year, it won't even fully support my then 2.5 year old's head. Also, I just think that the kids are going to be so beat, that they're both going to want really cozy seats to ride in from time to time.

Anyways, the baby rental place has a double jogger that looks really comfy and high quality, and they rent it for about $85 a week . . .

for me, unless we are lucky enough to have an extra "baby wrangler" like Grandma with us, we can only have a front to back double stroller in the parks. Inevitably, one of our daughters wants to walk and then if we were each pushing a stroller, it would severely hamper our "wrangling" abilities. My nightmare is having my almost 4 yr old dart away from me in one of those huge Disney crowds. Last time we were in Disney, we took a Graco Duoglider (at that point, our daughters were almost 3 and 6 mos). The 6 month old was content in either a stroller or a baby bjorn. when we go in September, the girls will be 4 and 18 months and i'm afraid they'll BOTH want out at the same time!

we are also going to take a Maclaren (single) umbrella stroller for the 18 month old for when we go to DTD or a resort restaurant, b/c I *know* that my 4 yr old will want to walk.

I just wanted to say three cheers for the Joovy! :cheer2: We used it exclusively in June for DS 4 and DD 6 and it was a lifesaver. In Nov. 04 we used 2 strollers and that worked well also. But the Joovy ROCKS!!

I broke down and bought a Joovy for our upcoming trip. It was cheaper to buy it vs renting an uncomfy double in the parks, and I still needed something to get to the hotel. I will say the red and black looks very Mickey Mousish-perfect for WDW!

Tip for those that have one or are thinking of buying one: I think I read someone said that a major downfall is that the child on the back doesnt have a sunshade. Well I played around with one of those Ray Shades and got it to work for the back as long as the child is sitting (and I have a tall 4 yr old son). I looped one set of straps through the hinge on the sunshade, and the others on the bars down along the side. I also picked up a rain cover that has mesh on the side to keep air moving. Works great on the front portion.

alison

Bringing both a double and a single is a good idea. To use with varying circumstances. We will have our car, so space isn't an issue in the minivan. My older DS really likes the stroller, so I think something like the Joovy would work for short trips, but for longer strolls, he's going to want a comfy seat like his brother. Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I still need to consider!

Personally I think the less to take the better. We have gone almost every year that we have had kids. We've done the double stroller when they were 10 months and 2 years old. After that we only have done one single umbrella stroller. My kids both like to get out and walk. So they take turns. They rarely fight on who sits. It's great. Easy to get in and out of the buses. Now my kids are 6 and 4 and we will still take 1 umbrella stroller. We also have learned to get a locker. We put warmer clothes in for later in the night. So all that we take in the little pouch in the stroller is sunscreen, sunglasses and hats. The lighter the better. Hope this helps.

my son is 4 and my dd is almost 2. in their young lives they've been many times. i've taken doubles and singles. i much prefer two singles...especially as ds gets older. often we'll park his stroller, go on a bunch of rides and come back for it after we've finished that 'section' of the park.

right now my fave combo is a mac for the 4 yr old, and my peg p3 for dd. i like having one stroller with a decent basket, full recline and fantastic canopy (p3).

crazywig said:
i much prefer two singles...especially as ds gets older. often we'll park his stroller, go on a bunch of rides and come back for it after we've finished that 'section' of the park.

Kim, that's a great idea! I hadn't thought about "parking" one stroller and coming back for it. I need to stop thinking about this and get my dining reservations first! LOL! I'm obsessing.

We took our DD4.5 and DS2 in January and took out tandem Evenflo Take Me too. It is a relatively inexpensive double stroller and I have found that it is pretty easy to maneuver (as far as double strollers go). We really needed the large basket for all the stuff we took into the parks- diapers, changes of clothes, video camera, camera case, etc. Of course the parks weren't crowded in January, so we didn't have to worry too much about crowds, but both kids needed a place to sit and this stroller is roomy enohg for both to be comfortable. It fit well on the monorail and DH folded it easily for buses. Both kids fell asleep in it many times on the way out of the parks, so for us renting would not be an option until they are older. Plus, the resorts are pretty big, so they would ride in the stroller to get to the food court or back from the bus stop.

Took the Graco Duoglider for 10 days and had no problems with it. I don't know why so many people knock that stroller. We could roll it onto the monorail into a regular car with no probs, Both kids could recline and have sunshades, we had a great big basket underneath. I even handled it by myself with the two kids on the buses and I was 6 months PG.

Don't knock the DuoGlider...it worked well for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter