2 thumbs down for new “Turning Red” movie

Streaming subscriptions are worth more than ticket sales in cinemas. Less people go to the cinema, people have subscriptions for several months at least.
It's a business model to use new movies to persuade people to subscribe to Disney plus. Probably very lucrative.

I haven't seen it yet as I didn't like the trailer. The good reviews have sparked my interest and I will watch it. However I doubt I would have gone to the cinema, because I know it will end up on Disney +.
No one is subscribing to Disney+ because of this film. Perhaps you're misunderstanding the streaming model. Charging a premium on top of subscriptions is what allows Disney to make money on a film like this one. Releasing it free on a service that people already subscribe to isn't helping Disney to make more money than they would have through in-theater ticket sales.

No one is subscribing to Disney+ because of this film. Perhaps you're misunderstanding the streaming model. Charging a premium on top of subscriptions is what allows Disney to make money on a film like this one. Releasing it free on a service that people already subscribe to isn't helping Disney to make more money than they would have through in-theater ticket sales.
I didnt say specifically that people would sign up for this movie, but I can see I might have implied it.

My point was about having a subscription longer because of new content coming out. Maybe you think, 'should I keep Disney plus or kick it out because I have too many streaming services already.' When a new movie gets good reviews, people will keep their subscription for longer as they want to see the new good thing. Or because children see the merchandise at their friends, it is the next hot thing among kids and mom and dad don't want their precious kids feel left out. Streaming services need constant new material to keep people in.

And you do not know, you might not, but maybe this is a movie other people will subscribe for. It is too early to tell and figures about this arent released, anyway (at least I thought they are not released, or was that Netflix who doesnt share these details).

Last edited:
We enjoyed it and the kids have watched it 2 times. I greatly appreciate that the movies are trying to show more cultures and some of the intricacies of family relationships and expectations.

I also appreciate the movies that are going straight to streaming instead of having to go to a theater.

Dh and I thought it started out promising but we got bored with it. Definitely not one of our favorites

It didn't hold the attention for my toddler that her beloved "MA DRI GALs" does, and I do felt it got a little long. But it was pretty good, and I'm sure we will re-watch.

It was a beautiful coming of age film but overall landed as a mid-tier Pixar movie for me compared to the previous 24 films … I’d LOVE for totb to find a way to put Mei in the Canada pavilion even subtly like the Luca chalk drawing in Italy during festival of the arts

as far as being direct to stream I think then Disney made that call the Canadian cinema market wasn’t up and running fully but I could be wrong still wish it had a 30 day theatrical exclusivity like Encanto

Two thumbs up from me! Wife and I enjoyed it due to growing up in the 90's and 2000's. Our daughter is a little young for the ideal target audience, but understood the emotions theme to the movie. It caused quite a few laughs from all parties. Well done Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter