2 thumbs down for new “Turning Red” movie

This is why I refuse to allow my kids to watch *checks notes* almost every Disney movie ever made.
Started thinking about it and you are totally right. Out of the top of my head:
  • Little Mermaid - Cancelled!
  • Aladdin - Cancelled!
  • Mulan - Cancelled!
  • Sleeping Beauty - Cancelled!
  • Moana - Cancelled!
  • Cinderella - Cancelled!
  • Pocahontas - Cancelled!
  • Tangled - Cancelled!
  • Brave - Cancelled!
  • Encanto - Cancelled!
  • Peter Pan - Cancelled!
  • Atlantis - Cancelled!
  • Luca - Cancelled!
  • Coco - Cancelled!
  • The Incredibles - Cancelled!
  • Finding Nemo - Cancelled!
I think Turning Red is in good company.

Started thinking about it and you are totally right. Out of the top of my head:
  • Little Mermaid - Cancelled!
  • Aladdin - Cancelled!
  • Mulan - Cancelled!
  • Sleeping Beauty - Cancelled!
  • Moana - Cancelled!
  • Cinderella - Cancelled!
  • Pocahontas - Cancelled!
  • Tangled - Cancelled!
  • Brave - Cancelled!
  • Encanto - Cancelled!
  • Peter Pan - Cancelled!
  • Atlantis - Cancelled!
  • Luca - Cancelled!
  • Coco - Cancelled!
  • The Incredibles - Cancelled!
  • Finding Nemo - Cancelled!
I think Turning Red is in good company.
The Little Mermaid is probably the worst offender.

I mean think about it!

Her dad is over the top in shutting down her curiosity, but has very valid concerns.

So what does she do? She visits some back-alley leg dealer so that she can literally transform her body into something it's not, and signs the most predatory contract of all time.

Everything that she chooses to do is a terrible decision with terrible consequences. Consequences she never has to face, deal with, or even truly contemplate because the men in her life take care of it all for her, and she does absolutely nothing productive at any point. And ultimately, she gets everything she wanted from the beginning.

The lesson from something like "Turning Red" isn't that you can just do a bunch of sneaking around behind your parents' backs and it all works out in the end. The whole point is that when the relationship between the parent and child isn't working because they don't trust each other, things continually get worse until they can figure out how to trust each other and work together.

The Little Mermaid is probably the worst offender.

I mean think about it!

Her dad is over the top in shutting down her curiosity, but has very valid concerns.

So what does she do? She visits some back-alley leg dealer so that she can literally transform her body into something it's not, and signs the most predatory contract of all time.

Everything that she chooses to do is a terrible decision with terrible consequences. Consequences she never has to face, deal with, or even truly contemplate because the men in her life take care of it all for her, and she does absolutely nothing productive at any point.

The lesson from something like "Turning Red" isn't that you can just do a bunch of sneaking around behind your parents' backs and it all works out in the end. The whole point is that when the relationship between the parent and child isn't working because they don't trust each other, things continually get worse until they can figure out how to trust each other and work together.
She was pretty adventurous at the beginning of the movie, I give her points for that haha.
She's honestly one of my favorite princesses but I agree that her decision making leaves lots to be desired hahaha

Agree about Turning Red too, things don't get fixed till they talk and are honest with each other.

I was originally excited about this movie because it was set in at the height of my teenage years (2001-2002 era).

But as a male it just didn’t resonate with me as it did with some of my family members. I wasn’t in love with boy bands or have an overbearing, controlling mom.

So, I’m not the target audience for this one and that’s ok. I’m not gonna bash it or ruin somebody else’s fun.

I thought the faux social media outrage was over blown. Girls have periods?!? And conflicts with their moms?!? Gasp! 😂

Not everything Pixar makes has to be for 3 to 5 year olds. I guess now people will know that and plan accordingly.

I enjoyed Luca more and prefer it’s art style. I’d like to see uncensored Luca, because I think the storyline would make more sense.

I just watched again as I do with Pixar movies and I realized I checked out too early the first time. I missed a lot. I loved the menstruation scenes and thought that wA absolutely appropriate. I didn't like the way she rebelled so strongly to her mother, the boy crazy parts and I have a different faith so yes a personal preference. Nothing to defend or argue about for me. I watched it a second time with my tween. The first time my tween had had a friend over and really saw it thru the missing parent's eyes and realized I probably should have screened it. The friend is a grade younger than my daughter and wouldn't have recommended it until later.

eek then i came on here to update and saw some judgy comments. so yeah! review is done, the world is still spinning! enjoy!

I don't get how anyone could say this movie is AWFUL. I can only surmise that said persons have never seen a truly awful movie. Ever seen the D&D movie? 😂 Middling, sure. Okay, but not your cup of tea, sure. Awful?? Maybe it's because I'm a child of the 80s, which somehow produced both some of the best and most abysmal cinema in history.

We saw it and really liked it. I loved Mei's spirit and I thought the animation was cool. The boy band bits were hilarious as well, and I actually thought their song was pretty catchy.
While reading the comments, I was thinking about the movies I was watching as a kid in the 80's. Some of these commenters would be horrified at what us Gen X'ers watched as kids :rotfl2:

While reading the comments, I was thinking about the movies I was watching as a kid in the 80's. Some of these commenters would be horrified at what us Gen X'ers watched as kids :rotfl2:

Especially before PG-13 was a thing. PG movies went pretty far! Even beloved childhood favorites like E.T and The Goonies have some light swearing in them and a few slightly off-color jokes, like the miniature of Michaelangelo's David they broke. "Oh no, my mom's favorite part!" 🤣 I know I was totally scarred for life by seeing that - not to mention a bunch of kids defying their parents to go treasure hunting, getting into danger, and yet having it all work out in the end. What a terrible example for children! 😉

Last edited:

Especially before PG-13 was a thing. PG movies went pretty far! Even beloved childhood favorites like E.T.
I
ET was my fave and Goonies was my husbands! I thought Grease was a kids' movie. My dating uncle and aunty took me to see it in the theater when I was a pre-tween. Listened to that "album" non-stop for years. That music raised me.

Especially before PG-13 was a thing. PG movies went pretty far! Even beloved childhood favorites like E.T and The Goonies have some light swearing in them and a few slightly off-color jokes, like the miniature of Michaelangelo's David they broke. "Oh no, my mom's favorite part!" 🤣 I know I was totally scarred for life by seeing that - not to mention a bunch of kids defying their parents to go treasure hunting, getting into danger, and yet having it all work out in the end. What a terrible example for children! 😉

I remember loving Drop Dead Fred as a kid, which actually was PG-13. I was 4 when it came out. The vast majority of "adult" jokes went miles over my head.

Watched - and yeah I'll gladly admit it ENJOYED. :P Too many folks search high and low for ways to be offended. I certainly can see, based upon today's perceptions, that some of what used to pass for comedy or entertainment is very dicey. But as with everything else, society went from one extreme decades ago to the other today, where everything offends a snowflake somewhere and must be banned so no one else can see or hear it.

I somehow just learned last year that Beetlejuice (PG) has an actual F bomb in it! Apparently I had been watching the edited version my entire life (that I can remember, anyways).

I somehow just learned last year that Beetlejuice (PG) has an actual F bomb in it! Apparently I had been watching the edited version my entire life (that I can remember, anyways).

Interestingly, that is after PG-13 was in use.

I don't get how anyone could say this movie is AWFUL. I can only surmise that said persons have never seen a truly awful movie. Ever seen the D&D movie? 😂 Middling, sure. Okay, but not your cup of tea, sure. Awful?? Maybe it's because I'm a child of the 80s, which somehow produced both some of the best and most abysmal cinema in history.

We saw it and really liked it. I loved Mei's spirit and I thought the animation was cool. The boy band bits were hilarious as well, and I actually thought their song was pretty catchy.
Everyone has different tastes. Example: Most people love pizza; I hate pizza. I absolutely hated this movie and had a hard time staying focused even though I was a teen of the 80's. As for seeing some truly awful movies, I've seen plenty. Howard the Duck, Bio-Dome, Mac & Me, Gotti, Pinocchio, and Batman & Robin just to name a few. I'd put this one on my list of bad movies worthy of a Rotten Tomato award. A one and done never to be seen with my eyes and heard with my ears again.

Everyone has different tastes. Example: Most people love pizza; I hate pizza. I absolutely hated this movie and had a hard time staying focused even though I was a teen of the 80's. As for seeing some truly awful movies, I've seen plenty. Howard the Duck, Bio-Dome, Mac & Me, Gotti, Pinocchio, and Batman & Robin just to name a few. I'd put this one on my list of bad movies worthy of a Rotten Tomato award. A one and done never to be seen with my eyes and heard with my ears again.

I hated Frozen. HATED.

Have any of you watched Snow White? Like actually watched the whole movie.
SOOOOO boring.

I enjoyed Turning Red. Watched it with DD (10) and DS (12). They both enjoyed it, but neither of them loved it.
I was expecting some crazy-ground breaking type drama. Really, it was just one of a zillion coming of age movies that have been made and will continue to be made. I don't understand the controversy at all

Have any of you watched Snow White? Like actually watched the whole movie.
SOOOOO boring.

I enjoyed Turning Red. Watched it with DD (10) and DS (12). They both enjoyed it, but neither of them loved it.
I was expecting some crazy-ground breaking type drama. Really, it was just one of a zillion coming of age movies that have been made and will continue to be made. I don't understand the controversy at all
There is no controversy, it's just not a good movie by Pixar standards. Agree, it is like the other zillion movies out there. Great for a streaming service and sell some merch. not a Pixar classic.

Snow White came out in 1937. Is there any other 1930s animation you like better?

I'm guessing Turing Red won't get much play in 70 years.

Last edited:
In case you hadn't noticed almost all movies are going straight to streaming now

Actually no that is not the case. It is the case for Netflix but not historical film makers. Even Disney has released a number of films to theatre in the last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter