• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2 yo on United...

Shilyre

Mama Bear
I am so super nervous about taking my 2 yo on united with flight changes there and back. I want to do my best to prepare my LO for traveling. Any suggestions?

When DS was bitty we walked him through going through security. That was our main issue, really. Other than that he was fine.

Buy him or her a new small toy to play with that will get keep their attention. Also, pack some of their favorite snacks, something easy and not messy.

at 2 years he will have to be in his own seat for landing and takeoff plus when seatbelt sign is on. have to be under 2 years, and they could ask for proof of age unlike Disney, to be in lap during these times. speaking of security make sure he does not touch the walls as you go through as that will make you go through more screenings

at 2 years he will have to be in his own seat for landing and takeoff plus when seatbelt sign is on. have to be under 2 years, and they could ask for proof of age unlike Disney, to be in lap during these times. speaking of security make sure he does not touch the walls as you go through as that will make you go through more screenings
we've got a seat for LO, all my research on united says I won't need proof of age for her until she's 12, thought of getting her a ride on luggage and checking the stroller before security but idk if I should. I've reserved a bunch of airplane books from my library to go through with her, I'm probably overthinking it. She went through when she was a baby but it was a nightmare for me, not because of her but because they seperated me from my baby, she was literally only a few months old and they made me pass her to a stranger. I looked up the laws and they had no right to do that to me or her. So I guess I'm just nervous.

Toys--quiet ones for the people around you or if they make noise ones where sound can be turned down

Don't let her kick or push on seat in front of her

Food pack what she likes as others said and take a change of clothes for you and her

Don't worry
Relax and you will be fine! If she senses stressed mom it could make things harder for her. Enjoy

we've got a seat for LO, all my research on united says I won't need proof of age for her until she's 12

They were stating that for a specific reason. "they could ask for proof of age ...to be in lap during these times"...

You would be amazed what people do, even when their kids have seats, on planes.

thought of getting her a ride on luggage and checking the stroller before security but idk if I should

I assume you mean those weird horse shaped things? Those look like such a pain. Sending the stroller through the entire "innards" of the airport increases the chances of a mangled stroller. Forget the horsey roller"bag", use the stroller.

She went through when she was a baby but it was a nightmare for me, not because of her but because they seperated me from my baby, she was literally only a few months old and they made me pass her to a stranger.

Well, being nervous (now or on the day) isn't going to help one little bit. You need to figure out what you will do. I don't know the circumstances that led them to have you hand the baby to a stranger. Perhaps they thought the stranger was with you. I don't know. But what YOU can do is stay CALM. Don't be nervous, don't act nervous. Be Zen. Even if they are moving quickly, you slow them down. If they are talking about moving you away from the child, state firmly and clearly that it's just you, and that you have to stay together. Just be calm.

And make a list of all those *library* books so you're sure to pack them ALL up when getting off the plane each time and when coming home. No need to have a fine!

They were stating that for a specific reason. "they could ask for proof of age ...to be in lap during these times"...

You would be amazed what people do, even when their kids have seats, on planes.

I assume you mean those weird horse shaped things? Those look like such a pain. Sending the stroller through the entire "innards" of the airport increases the chances of a mangled stroller. Forget the horsey roller"bag", use the stroller.

Well, being nervous (now or on the day) isn't going to help one little bit. You need to figure out what you will do. I don't know the circumstances that led them to have you hand the baby to a stranger. Perhaps they thought the stranger was with you. I don't know. But what YOU can do is stay CALM. Don't be nervous, don't act nervous. Be Zen. Even if they are moving quickly, you slow them down. If they are talking about moving you away from the child, state firmly and clearly that it's just you, and that you have to stay together. Just be calm.

And make a list of all those *library* books so you're sure to pack them ALL up when getting off the plane each time and when coming home. No need to have a fine!

hubby thinks she'll handle it just fine, I agree with foregoing the riding luggage, and I'm ordering her official birth cert just in case for age verification, guess I just need to take a chill pill lol

we've got a seat for LO, all my research on united says I won't need proof of age for her until she's 12, thought of getting her a ride on luggage and checking the stroller before security but idk if I should. I've reserved a bunch of airplane books from my library to go through with her, I'm probably overthinking it. She went through when she was a baby but it was a nightmare for me, not because of her but because they seperated me from my baby, she was literally only a few months old and they made me pass her to a stranger. I looked up the laws and they had no right to do that to me or her. So I guess I'm just nervous.
was talking about if you wanted to hold her during take off and landing and not having child own seat. as a lap child they will ask for age proof. touching side of booth at security will get you higher checks and could separate you from child. almost had this happen to us on a MAW trip when grandson touched unknown to us. gentleman behind us told security he saw him touch so they had him go through again where he came through cleanly. he was going to be taken to another room his mom could go with him but was not to touch him. so yes it does happen

If the "Thousands Standing Around" try to make you (A) hand your kid to a stranger or (B) be separated from your kid where you can't see him/her smile nicely at the jerk and ask him/her to find their supervisor. Then explain to the Supervisor that you have actually read the guidelines (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures/traveling-children) and they need to abide by them.

It's a shame that we have to train the Thousands but... don't let them bully you. Don't fight with them, but just nicely hold your ground and wait on a supervisor (and yes EVERY station has one!)

If the "Thousands Standing Around" try to make you (A) hand your kid to a stranger or (B) be separated from your kid where you can't see him/her smile nicely at the jerk and ask him/her to find their supervisor. Then explain to the Supervisor that you have actually read the guidelines (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures/traveling-children) and they need to abide by them.

It's a shame that we have to train the Thousands but... don't let them bully you. Don't fight with them, but just nicely hold your ground and wait on a supervisor (and yes EVERY station has one!)
yeah maybe i should print that off

yeah maybe i should print that off
in reading that not separated could still mean not touching for extra screening mon was going to be allowed to go in room with him but she could not touch him while they were going to be screening and this included holding his hand. their not separating might not be the same as yours and alarming can be as easy as touching machine as walking through.

OP, how and why exactly were you separated from your baby? Did they not let you carry her thru the metal detector? Did you need additional screening?

I wouldn't bother printing anything off. Odds are they won't read it, and it will only make you look argumentative. The best thing is to remain calm.

Ok, you need to relax. At 2, your child should be walking, so will be able to walk through the scanner herself. Send Dad through first, then your dd, then you follow behind her. Practice that at home, going through a doorway. Be sure she doesn't try to bring a favorite stuffed toy through with her!!! It will be taken away. Tell her she's a big kid now, and gets to do this by herself...nothing kids like better than thinking they're doing something grown up!!!
No need to feel nervous or stressed. If you do, she is going to sense it, and react. And you do not want that to happen!
As already mentioned, bring some new toys, books, etc. Snacks that aren't messy. Bring her cup, if she uses one, and fill it on the other side of security. My dd has been flying since she was three....she did just fine! And she took care of her own bag!!! If they're old enough for preschool, they're old enough to take care of their little carry on bag!! Perhaps not at 2 though!!!

I remember when we checked in to United at the desk, they had us leave our luggage so it could go through the X-ray machine. Poor little DGD was in tears that they took away her suitcase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter