20,000 Leagues of Running (comments welcome)

Scootin'By

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. I am relatively new to the boards but really enjoying the community. I've been a casual runner off and on for many years, never really racing (except for a few fun runs), just trail running for myself. But the runDisney forum has so much exciting stuff out there that I have been inspired to take my game to the next level. I've set the following goals:

1-2 months: run a virtual 5k
2-4 months: run a Thanksgiving Turkey Trot
9 months: run Spring Surprise virtual 5k
1 year: run the CastAway Cay 5k
2 years: run a WDW 5k (open to suggestions)
3 years: run a Disney Half-Marathon

It might look like a lot, but I'm hoping that it keeps me inspired to keep running. Nothing says inspiration like buying a runDisney medal LOL

My training plan is going to be mostly running on a treadmill at lunchtime. I've tried getting up early to run before dropping off kids, but I just can't maintain the go. So if it means taking two showers in a day, then I'll take it. Plus, it's just too hot here in the Northeast to run outside right now (and later it's going to be too cold). I have an older treadmill and the incline doesn't work anymore, so I'll have to compensate with either speed or duration.

First goal, run/walk for 20 minutes at a decent pace. I can normally do 12-15 running at a good pace, so I think 20 should be doable.

The training starts tomorrow! Wish me luck :)

Welcome! So many of us here started running (or running more) motivated/"sucked in" by the lure of shiny Disney medals. You will have lots of company. Good luck with your goals--I don't think they're too much, and you get to change them as you go along anyway.

The usual caveat about finding running shoes that work for you is about the only thing I'd pass along right now.

Best of luck but also enjoy the journey! It’s an amazing feeling to push yourself and see what your body is capable of.

I did it! Today I got up and went for a 25 minute, 2.0 mile run on the treadmill. It felt SO good!

It's not the pace that I want (I'd like to run a 10.30 to 11.00 minute mile), but I'm focusing on the positives. I went running!

I ran for 10 minutes at 5, walked for a minute, then ran another about 10 minutes at 5. Then, because I was so close to 2 miles I cranked it up to 5.5/6 for the last lap. That felt nice!

Next step - repeat 😀

Probably not supposed to, but I just couldn't help myself. I went for another little run today on the treadmill. It felt so good to be back yesterday, that I got up early(ish) today too. I'm a little disappointed that I only got to 23 minutes and about 1.8 miles, but there are a few things that I chalk this up to. First, I ran yesterday, I'm a little tired. Second, I set my speed to 5.1, so I was running a little faster too. Not enough to get to 2 miles, but maybe enough to tired me out a little bit more. I figure if my goal is to run at a 5.5 pace, then I'll start to inch it up every week.

My biggest thing is soreness. I felt great all day yesterday, but woke up sore today. I do a good stretch before and after each run (dynamic before, static after), but I'm still sore. Tomorrow is a rest day, I'll row or maybe do yoga for 15-20, and then get back on the tread Tuesday.

I would not worry about what pace you "want to run" and just get comfortable running "where you are". And also, be careful of increasing both distance and pace at the same time--that can lead to issues. To quote Bobo Bear from Muppets in Space "Baby steps, remember, baby steps".

This is all great advice. Thanks so much and keep it coming! I think I will focus on distance/duration for now then and leave pace for later.

Took a rest day today and tried my rowing machine, but I think that it's using too many of the same muscles. I felt a lot of tightness in my calves and thighs towards the end. I'll take it easy on my 2k walk this afternoon (I have to get out of the house half-way through the day before I finish up work) and then see what happens tomorrow. For my next rest day I'm going to try a YouTube yoga routine, really get a good stretch in. I don't have access to a gym or free weights, so I can't do anything too complex. Any suggestions are appreciated :)

Tomorrow's goal - 20+ minutes on the treadmill.

Run #3

I managed to get a run in today and I took your advice to focus on just distance/duration. So today I ran on the treadmill at a steady 5.0 for about 29 minutes, which is an increase of about 4 minutes from previously. The total distance 2.25 miles and it felt really good again! I did a 1-minute walk at 10 minutes and again at 20 minutes. I could have pushed myself, but I wanted to keep it light and have enough gas to get over the 2-mile marker.

Tomorrow is a rest day, which I think I'm going to really need. My calves feel tight. A nice stretching yoga tomorrow should be good. I may even do 2 days of rest just to avoid any injury while I'm getting back into it.

Next goal - repeat 2.25 miles.

No running today, just rest. I actually feel a lot better than I thought I would today, which I think means I'm doing the right thing by resting. I did a 10-minute yoga video focused on stretching. It felt really good! I wish I could incorporate that into my daily run as a cool-down. Maybe after my longer run.

I think that's going to be the biggest challenge coming up actually - finding enough time to get in my run. I used to do 15-20 minutes, but I'm upping it to 25-30 and then looking to increase it all the way to 45. Not sure how I'm going to fit that in routinely what with dropping off kids and work and everything else.

Tomorrow - 2+ miles
August total = 6.05 miles

No running today, just rest. I actually feel a lot better than I thought I would today, which I think means I'm doing the right thing by resting. I did a 10-minute yoga video focused on stretching. It felt really good! I wish I could incorporate that into my daily run as a cool-down. Maybe after my longer run.

I think that's going to be the biggest challenge coming up actually - finding enough time to get in my run. I used to do 15-20 minutes, but I'm upping it to 25-30 and then looking to increase it all the way to 45. Not sure how I'm going to fit that in routinely what with dropping off kids and work and everything else.

Tomorrow - 2+ miles
August total = 6.05 miles
I would mix up the frequency & duration of your runs so that you aren't just on a path of "more runs, all the same distance". That will help keep the overall volume of distance/time to a gradual increase and also reduce the possibility of overuse injury. Plus, even during training cycles there are often "step back" weeks, where the volume or intensity decreases.

Have you considered looking at "couch to 5k" plan or something similar? Could help you achieve a gradual increase in a way that works for you.

I would mix up the frequency & duration of your runs so that you aren't just on a path of "more runs, all the same distance". That will help keep the overall volume of distance/time to a gradual increase and also reduce the possibility of overuse injury. Plus, even during training cycles there are often "step back" weeks, where the volume or intensity decreases.

Have you considered looking at "couch to 5k" plan or something similar? Could help you achieve a gradual increase in a way that works for you.
I can’t agree with this more.

Y'all are giving me SO much to think about. I really appreciate it.

I've looked at a few Couch-to-5k programs, but a lot of them start off so slow. I'm not a couch potato exactly, it's just been 6 months since I ran because of an injury (and I did a lot of walking in there to stay at least a little bit in shape).

All that said, I want to try. I found a 6-week plan on Very Well and what I'm thinking about is jumping in at week #3, since that's about my level right now. Run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute, repeat twice.

Here's my modified goal for tomorrow. What do you think?

Week 3​

Day 1: Run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute. Repeat 2 times.
Day 2: Cross-train.

Day 3: Run 12 minutes, walk 1 minute. Then run hard for 1 minute, walk for 2 minutes; repeat 4 times.
Day 4: Rest.
Day 5: Run 13 minutes, walk 1 minute. Repeat 2 times.
Day 6: Rest or cross-train.
Day 7: Rest.

It light be worth looking at some of the higdon plans. I mostly started with those, and there are a LOT to choose from for distances, intensities, summer/winter plans, etc. And he puts in cross training days if you want to add in yoga or strength.

I found a 6-week plan on Very Well and what I'm thinking about is jumping in at week #3, since that's about my level right now. Run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute, repeat twice.

Here's my modified goal for tomorrow. What do you think?
There's lots of different options out there - Higdon, Galloway, I think Runner's World has a free C25K too? It's mostly about what works for your schedule.

I've looked at a few Couch-to-5k programs, but a lot of them start off so slow. I'm not a couch potato exactly, it's just been 6 months since I ran because of an injury (and I did a lot of walking in there to stay at least a little bit in shape).
I would say especially if you're coming back from an injury, it's better to start too slow than jump too far ahead and get injured again. It's hard to gauge without knowing where you were pre-injury, but no matter what plan you choose, make sure you're doing your running at a conversational pace. You should be able to speak in complete sentences easily, without huffing and puffing (except if you have a short segment where you're supposed to run hard). Heart rate in zone 2 if you know your zones and that's something you track.

Just for an example, I'm a fan of the Running Rogue podcast, and the host, Chris McClung, is a 2:45 marathoner (6:18 pace). He really emphasizes keeping your easy runs easy, and often talks about how he does his easy runs at a 9-10 min/mile pace, so THREE MINUTES per mile slower than marathon pace. I'd say that's on the extreme end of the easy running spectrum, but it does show that you can do most of your training at a really slow pace - whatever that looks like for you - and it will be effective for training and will help you stay healthy and injury-free.

but no matter what plan you choose, make sure you're doing your running at a conversational pace.You should be able to speak in complete sentences easily, without huffing and puffing (except if you have a short segment where you're supposed to run hard). Heart rate in zone 2 if you know your zones and that's something you track.
I think I've been pretty good about going easy. Not sure it's quite a conversational pace, but it's definitely not huffing and puffing. Except of course for the 1 minute hard sprint or what have you.

I normally keep track of my heart rate, but I'm not familiar with the zones. I'll have to find more information about this.

Run #4
Today I followed the training schedule and ran for about 26 minutes, including warm ups and cool downs.

The 12 minutes of running at an easy pace was getting tough towards the end. I was only at a 5.0 and was trying to keep it conversational, but I was definitely getting tired and glad for that 1 minute break.

The 1 minute sprints, 2 minute walks felt really good! I could have done a few more sets of those, but I stopped (mostly because I was late to work LOL).

I think I could run again tomorrow. We'll see. If I do, I'll keep it light, and no sprints. I don't know if I'll be able to get out for a run over the weekend, so tomorrow might be my last opportunity. I used to take a short run every day (about 1 mile), which is what I'd like to gradually work up to again.

Tomorrow ... who knows!
Monthly mileage - 8.05

Last edited:
I got up today and felt really good, so I went for a short run. Just 13 minutes at a 4.8 pace on the treadmill. Got a nice sweat up and just sort of stretched everything. Then did a really good stretch afterwards.

I also tested to ensure I was running at a conversational pace. I was able to hold a conversation with myself (very one sided, but good for a proof of concept). Even with that my heart rate went up to 185 for the last two minutes. The rest of the time I was in cardio mode, so I think I was just getting tired. I'll check it again later.

Next week is a really busy week. I'm worried that I might only get between 0 and 2 runs in. Wish me luck!

Today was a rest day so I went ahead and took a nice long walk ... while pushing the lawn mower. You might call it mowing the lawn, but I call it part of my workout routine. Earbuds, music, gum, sunglasses, moisture wicking clothes. It's totally exercise!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter