• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

20 Years of Dreams Event - Official Thread

I never knew about GKTW until I started watching the Dis.

But after learning about what they do I am so glad that they will benefit from this event.

So when I’m having oodles fun either at an event or just being there, knowing that in some small way I’m giving a little bit back will make it extra special.

I do, however, feel as if the kids with the most expensive gifts (Patreon supporters) get to go to the birthday party first, and then if there is room left, then 'the rest of us' can come, too. Feels a little icky. This is not stated with any malice.

Feels a little malicey.....

I think you would be best served by addressing your concerns about the Patreon sponsors and sign-ups with Pete.

Also I’ve had a fab idea if SWGE opens on the 11th for AP and the team want to go.

My idea is Julie and Kevin run the show and they raffle off the other seat to the Disser, bit like the inmates running the asylum lol 😂

Bet it’ll be fun albeit totally crazy...
LOVE it!!👏👏👏

Also I’ve had a fab idea if SWGE opens on the 11th for AP and the team want to go.

My idea is Julie and Kevin run the show and they raffle off the other seat to the Disser, bit like the inmates running the asylum lol 😂

Bet it’ll be fun albeit totally crazy...

love that idea!!!
and if we're talking crazy people, you could add in those of us (like you and me) who are flying in from halfway around the world for this event...
i think we score pretty high up there on the nuttiness scale....
at least my friends who've heard about this trip certainly think so!!! 😂

Last edited:
love that idea!!!
and if we're talking crazy people, you could add in those of us (like you and me) who are flying in from halfway around the world for this event...
i think we score pretty high up there on the nuttiness scale....
at least my friends who've heard about this trip certainly think so!!! 😂

Having been to the 2017 Event, I say totally worth it!

The amount we are charging for the overall event comes nowhere near close to covering even a small fraction of the costs.

The amount we are charging for the party comes nowhere near close to covering even a small fraction of the costs.

The amount we are charging for the after party transportation comes nowhere near close to covering even a small fraction of the costs.

The amount we will be charging for the individual events are purely designed to keep folks from signing up, holding a spot and not showing, taking a spot from someone else. I mentioned this before - without some 'skin in the game' people will hold spots for events even if they know they probably won't attend and that's not fair to anyone. The amounts will be small and all proceeds go to GKTW. Nothing will go to Dreams or to offset costs for the events themselves.

I replied to John because this applies to the event and isn't intended to be a reply to anyone in particular.

I've been doing events for 40+ years, most recently a national convention for a leisure group in Orlando in 2017 with nearly 2,000 people attending.

I had been avoiding attending because in my own little mind, the cost was too much for me this year. I was thinking the cost for this event was somewhere between $200 and $250. When I finally checked it out and saw it was $35 I thought Oh My God.

Everything the promoter uses for and at the event has a cost to the promoter. I've rarely seen anyone have the run of the resort for rooms like "The Dis" has; there are rooms at every Disney owned resort. They are using meeting rooms and usually they come with a required food and beverage component or you pay for the meeting rooms.

As a comparison, for 2017, Disney would “give” us all the meeting space at no cost but wanted a minimum commitment of $325,000 in Food and Beverage purchases by us (not by convention attendees in Restaurants and Bars at Coronado Springs) for 7 days.

There may not be a line item on an invoice, but you are paying for it in some way. Those free meeting rooms were anything but free. Same thing for this event.

From The Dis we get the websites for free. We get all the YouTube content for free. We get all the Social Media content for free. But it all has a cost in time and money to give it to us for free. Six video cameras, six microphones, 12 stands, cables, a sound board, a video mixer, the headsets, the studio monitors, all the software to run it all, a hefty broadband internet connection, it all costs them money and it is anything but cheap. And people are complaining that they have to pay Patreon $10 a month for a few months. The Patreon fees help offset these costs.

We’re paying $35 to attend. Pandora is costing $95. That’s $130. By comparison, the annual Star Wars convention costs $200+. D23 costs a heck of a lot more. And for these add ons, meeting the Dis staff, Patreon members have first crack at getting in with them. And the profits go to Give Kids The World.

The event costs less than dinner for two. With Pandora it costs $36 for 12 months. And people are complaining? Because you may not be able to meet one of the Dis staff?

The event costs less than dinner for two. With Pandora it costs $36 for 12 months. And people are complaining? Because you may not be able to meet one of the Dis staff?
Good points in your post. Thanks @DanielleC
Just wanted to add that these events are a fund raiser for Give Kids the World and the DIS/DU doesn't make any money on them.

Because you may not be able to meet one of the Dis staff?

Thank you for a comprehensive explanation of how conventions work, especially at Disney.

I want to add that your opportunity to meet the DIS/Dreams folks will not be limited to the 'extra/individual' events. Several of us will be 'stationed' at the check-in desk and auction room throughout the entire event. Others are going to be coming there when they are not hosting their own events and/or otherwise not busy.

If there is someone you 'have' to meet or the event 'will be ruined for you' I invite you to contact them on social media and ask them for when they plan to be at the auction room so you can make a point to meet them. They will be thrilled to do so.

Thank you for a comprehensive explanation of how conventions work, especially at Disney.

I want to add that your opportunity to meet the DIS/Dreams folks will not be limited to the 'extra/individual' events. Several of us will be 'stationed' at the check-in desk and auction room throughout the entire event. Others are going to be coming there when they are not hosting their own events and/or otherwise not busy.

If there is someone you 'have' to meet or the event 'will be ruined for you' I invite you to contact them on social media and ask them for when they plan to be at the auction room so you can make a point to meet them. They will be thrilled to do so.

Nice use of quotes, John. I have some heavy duty towing chains in my garage if you need them....:goodvibes

This event is a FUNDRAISER. For children. Who are critically ill.
Now, as much as I would like to hang out with Ryno, or Steve, or Jackie (I loooove Jackie!) if I can't get into their events, I'm not going to be upset or angry. It is what it is. I am attending a fundraiser and it's not all about what can I get. It's not about me.
This is for children who are ill and their wish is to go to Disney World. I feel some people take for granted how lucky they are. Not everyone can go multiple times a year. Some families save for years just to go once. GKTW provides families with that once in a lifetime trip. Please people let's keep this in perspective.
If you have kids, hug them often. Say I love you. Spend quality time with them. Don't take a single day with them for granted. Be thankful that they are healthy, because in the blink of an eye they can be taken from you and all you have left is memories.

Now, as much as I would like to hang out with Ryno, or Steve, or Jackie (I loooove Jackie!) if I can't get into their events, I'm not going to be upset or angry. It is what it is. I am attending a fundraiser and it's not all about what can I get. It's not about me.
This is for children who are ill and their wish is to go to Disney World. I feel some people take for granted how lucky they are. Not everyone can go multiple times a year. Some families save for years just to go once. GKTW provides families with that once in a lifetime trip. Please people let's keep this in perspective.
If you have kids, hug them often. Say I love you. Spend quality time with them. Don't take a single day with them for granted. Be thankful that they are healthy, because in the blink of an eye they can be taken from you and all you have left is memories.
Very well put. Sometimes the real reason behind the event gets lost in the excitement, but seeing what these GKTW trips mean to families is amazing. In December, one of the shifts involved me driving a golf cart around the village. An older gentleman stops me and asks me how to get somewhere. He then proceeds to tell me it looks a lot different than the last time he was here. Apparently, he had been part of a wish trip with his granddaughter who sadly later passed away from cancer. That day was the 5 year anniversary of her death, and they chose to remember her on that day by going back to GKTW village, finding her star on the ceiling and walking around remembering some of the last happy memories they had with her.

The dis could easily have made this a for profit event with how disney/disunplugged crazy some of us (myself included) are and its wonderful that instead of doing so they use it as a fundraiser for such an amazing organization.

Excellent post that puts perspective around this event.

In the end this event IS a fundraiser, and of the two issues that have been floating around for the past 2 days I'm of the opinion the issue of cost/fees for event activities should not be an issue. Beyond the fundraiser point what John has put together from a cost perspective is amazing. The room discounts....the transportation....PANDORA!!!! I know I personally appreciate the effort and the opportunity to participate. We're getting a deal! The small charge for events has been explained expertly, so I'm not even going to go there.........

As for the M&G sign up stuff. @skittles67 you are correct it is what it is.....the only thing I'd say is having the opportunity to interact with the DIS Team is pretty cool....especially in unique ways/locations. I wonder if people aren't angry (maybe some are....idk) but just a bit sad. I know my wife and I have been planning this trip since October and we're very excited. We've participated in these before and meeting the folks you see on the podcast is pretty cool.......they're like TV stars....for us because we watch the DIS Unplugged on our TV. 😊 One of the draws was the ability to interact with people you/we have grown to appreciate, for their knowledge of Disney and their dedication to helping others. The money thing was never an issue for us......but it did make me sad to think I might not even get a chance to go to an event...which I may not have gotten anyway......but then that sadness dissipated......as you said "it is what it is". Also, the folks here on the boards have created a week of "Unofficial events" that will keep us more than involved. I'm truly psyched for this week at Disney World........I didn't have to make a FP for FOP!!!!

In the end we are all human which means we aren't perfect....but perspective is important and as @skittles67 said "If you have kids{family and/or friends}, hug them often. Say I love you. Spend quality time with them. Don't take a single day with them for granted. Be thankful that they are healthy, because in the blink of an eye they can be taken from you and all you have left is memories."

Doug :goofy:

Very well put. Sometimes the real reason behind the event gets lost in the excitement, but seeing what these GKTW trips mean to families is amazing. In December, one of the shifts involved me driving a golf cart around the village. An older gentleman stops me and asks me how to get somewhere. He then proceeds to tell me it looks a lot different than the last time he was here. Apparently, he had been part of a wish trip with his granddaughter who sadly later passed away from cancer. That day was the 5 year anniversary of her death, and they chose to remember her on that day by going back to GKTW village, finding her star on the ceiling and walking around remembering some of the last happy memories they had with her.

The dis could easily have made this a for profit event with how disney/disunplugged crazy some of us (myself included) are and its wonderful that instead of doing so they use it as a fundraiser for such an amazing organization.

I am not crying, my face is just really sweaty at the moment.

I don't think anyone is upset about paying for events. Everyone recognizes it as a fundraiser. People are frustrated that patreon supporters, where the funds don't go to GKTW, are given first selection. I'm not saying the Dis is right or wrong for doing it that way, frankly my opinion on it doesn't matter. :confused3

I don't think anyone is upset about paying for events. Everyone recognizes it as a fundraiser. People are frustrated that patreon supporters, where the funds don't go to GKTW, are given first selection. I'm not saying the Dis is right or wrong for doing it that way, frankly my opinion on it doesn't matter. :confused3
I realize the event is a fundraiser and I'm all in favor of that. Thanks entirely to the DIS, we have become volunteers at GKTW Village and have donated quite a bit to them as well both directly and through events such as this one.

If I just wanted to support GKTW, however, I'd write a check and stay home. We are spending a few thousand dollars and a week of our time to attend this event. We did so with the expectation that we would get to see a bunch of old friends, make some new ones, and interact with members of the DIS team at various events throughout the week. Hopefully that will still be true and the events won't all get booked up by Patreon members. If, by chance, the first round of events does get "sold out" to Patreon members, hopefully they will add more events that the rest of us can attend. If not, my family and I will just enjoy a week in Walt Disney World and see folks at the Pandora party and podcast recording. We're good either way. We'll be disappointed if we don't get to do any of the individual DIS events but we'll be in Disney World. We'll have a good time no matter what.

This isn't directed at John at all, he has been incredibly generous and tried to help and accommodate everyone to get a chance to meet the team.
But some of this pushback from other posters is too much. No one said they didn't care and want to support the kids, that upset me that we somehow leapt to that. The question arose after beyond travel costs, event costs, donations to GKTW, many folks donating items and bidding is also became a requisite to donate to the podcast. It was never about the money for the kids, it was the Patreon thing. I admit, I was downright disappointed things wouldn't likely be open to the public and probably could have spoken more gently initially.
I could join Patreon temporarily (and I don't blame others who do) but it doesn't sit well with me, knowing I can't justify commiting long term to supporting the podcast. It's my choice, it's okay.
I have given and will give again to GKTW regardless if I end up coming. And yes I feel bad for how much it is costing them. I personally wish they wouldn't have it at WDW. I do WANT to pay my fair share for a venue. Maybe in future years there would be an opportunity to have something at an airport hotel where costs could be covered easier.
As a potential first timer to both WDW and Dis events, I also want to say the desire to come to the organized events for me isn't about wanting to take up the team's time, like we are entitled to hang out with them, coming to the events is partly about not feeling like a lost soul in a massive, strange place. It's about being courageous enough to walk around and say, "Hi, I am Tracy" and meet fellow Disney people and come away with friends.
Anyways, I wish everyone a really, really good trip. I thank John for his hard work. I apologize if I at all, came across as ungrateful to his generosity and hardwork.

Last edited:
I realize the event is a fundraiser and I'm all in favor of that. Thanks entirely to the DIS, we have become volunteers at GKTW Village and have donated quite a bit to them as well both directly and through events such as this one.

If I just wanted to support GKTW, however, I'd write a check and stay home. We are spending a few thousand dollars and a week of our time to attend this event. We did so with the expectation that we would get to see a bunch of old friends, make some new ones, and interact with members of the DIS team at various events throughout the week. Hopefully that will still be true and the events won't all get booked up by Patreon members. If, by chance, the first round of events does get "sold out" to Patreon members, hopefully they will add more events that the rest of us can attend. If not, my family and I will just enjoy a week in Walt Disney World and see folks at the Pandora party and podcast recording. We're good either way. We'll be disappointed if we don't get to do any of the individual DIS events but we'll be in Disney World. We'll have a good time no matter what.
It really is all about perspective. I had no idea what to expect when I signed up for this event. The unofficial event planning has truly been amazing! I’m thankful for the members of the group who have taken the time to plan and track activities for the past few months. I have come to feel that you are my extended DIS family, where I have just not attached the faces to the names yet. It has been truly fun learning about all of you, and having fun along the way.

As for the official event plans. I’m going in knowing I am going to have the opportunity to meet, and personally thank, the folks who let me get my inner Mickey on while I’m not in the “world”. If I get the events I want, that will be awesome! If not, I am still going to have a blast at Disney.....I may just be chatting up the locals more at the registration area (be forewarned, I can get chatty😂😂). I’ll also probably be bidding on a lot of auction items that I really don’t need, but that’s where the GKTW comes into play. This event has given me the opportunity to not have my husband’s eyes roll so much while I am evaluating my Disney purchasing “needs”😂😂 In all seriousness though, thank you John et al, for putting this event together, and for being so responsive to our questions and concerns.

See you real soon😀

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter