2004 WDW 1/2 marathon - my GREAT experience.....rather long!

Originally posted by marsh0013
i'm training to run the half marathon next year as well. i think i've seen some training schedules where you do a 3 mi run the day before, or i could be wrong and it's a run on the fri and nothing on the sat. so would it be a good idea to run in the 5k?

I've see that too, which is why I asked. Some training programs have you run the day before, others don't. Maybe it just depends on your level of training. :confused:

Thanks again, AKASnowWhite, it's good to hear that a "non-runner" had such a good experience. :sunny:

I would think that as long as you aren't really pushing yourself to run a fast 5K or something, then the 5K the day before would be fine. I did the Hal Higdon program for the past year in prep for some other local 5Ks and other races and found it worked best for me, but I would have a rest day right before the marathon.

I do know that some runners/walkers tweak the schedules a bit and I do plan on doing the 5K next year the day before the marathon.

Since you have all this time to plan ahead I don't think a 5K walk would hurt at all the day before. Just stretch those muscles afterwards!

Ooooh! Thanks for all the info. I'm getting excited about next January. Congratulations on your run! (and a post like this is NEVER too long :D )

Hi AKASnowwhite

I have a question about getting around for the marathon. From what I understand they set up buses to pick us up at the resorts the morning of the marathon. But is anything set up to get you to where you sign in and get your number? We always stay on-property but never rent a car and now I'm wondering how we will handle getting our number and signing in.

We're doing our 1st 1/2 Marathon :) So it's all new. Thanks for your report and in advance on this one.

T.T.F.N.
DianeL

There were SO MANY special buses for the marathon activities. Not WDW buses (because they were doing the *usual* Disney transport...)....they had Mears shuttles, and buses from every possible bus company in the area! We had a car, so we drove ourselves to the World of Sports complex, but the buses were up and running on Friday and Saturday. Disney really does an exceptional job of organizing & people moving. I'm sure that you'll have no trouble at all getting where you need to be.

AKASnowWhite - I know they mark each mile, but do they also mark half miles??

No, they don't mark the 1/2 miles, only the miles. And at each mile marker there is a time display that shows you the elapsed "gun time" (from the starting gun) which will be MORE than your actual race time - your official "race time" starts when you finally cross the START line.....

Thanks! At least I'll be able to see what my pace is for each mile. It's so sweet of you to answer all these questions! Can't wait to meet you in person next year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter