2004 WDW Marathon - full of questions

ColetteN

<font color=teal>If you find my link to the cool s
OK, my DH is planning on running the 1/2 marathon or the full marathon. He's still undecided, but anyway....I have a few questions.

I know the event is Jan 11, 2004. When should we make ressies? Is CRO taking reservations for Jan '04 already? Will it be difficult if we wait - what are the crowds like? Are all of the rooms going to be booked? Also, I've never booked then changed ressie - can I add a code at a later date if one becomes available?

What types of events are scheduled for runners before hand? I know runners transportation is provided, but what about spectators for the race - is there early transportation provided?

We are considering taking our 2 children also (5 1/2 yr DD and 2 1/2 yr DS at the time). Anyone think they'll be bored - just waiting for Daddy?

Thanks in advance,
Colette

Hi ColetteN,

I just responded to a post titled "marathon" in this same forum. Here is a link to the that thread:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=334170

Regarding room reservations, I had trouble getting rates for WDW resorts via CRO at the time that I registered for the race (March 2002). They told me that 2003 rates were just not available yet. I wouldn't be surprised if you encounter the same problem this year. Disney does offer hotel packages for marathon participants, however, and one of the options during on-line registration is to request information about these packages. Even if you don't request information, the Disney website will eventually list a phone number that you can call for Marathon packages. (When I eventually looked into the packages, they didn't seem to provide an savings.)

You won't have any trouble boking a room. I booked the Dolphin approximately 6 months in advance, but called CRO approximately one month prior to the race to check on rates and availability across the various WDW resorts was still very good. If you have your heart set on a particular resort, however, don't wait too long. This past year, the marathon expo was at Coronado Springs. Even before rates were available, CRO told me this hotel was completely booked. I think this was information, however since I was also told that POly was completely booked, but was told there was availablity for all room types when I called back about a week later. (Even if CRO was holding blocks, I don't think they would have opened up the blocks so many months in advance.) It might also be difficult to get a room at wherever the Team in Training participants will be staying.

There was a 5K fun run through Epcot the day prior to the race. It sounded like fun, but we did not attend. I believe that Disney also holds a pasta dinner (this past year at Wide World of Sports, I believe). I think you might need to purchase a marathon package to attend. We enjoyed the marathon expo...some nice souvenirs, free product samples, and product demos. They also had talks scheduled from various high profile runnrs (Galloway, etc). I'm not sure what to compare the WDW marathon expo against, but if you've every made it across the state to the Philadelphia Distance Run expo, I thought it was nicer than that.

This was the first time that we visited Disney in the Winter and we relly enjoyed it. Crowds were very light. I can't really comment spectator transportation because we didn't use it. The Magic Kingdom does open early for spectator (the rides aren't open, but you can view runners from Main Street). Your children might enjoy cheering Dad from here! (Crowds are so heavy, so they should get a good view. Based on your husband's pace, you should be able to estimate his arrival time so that you don't wait around too long.) For the full marathon, there were also lots of bleachers at the finish. I assume that it's the same set-up at the half. If you give me an idiea of where you might want to stay, I (or somebody else) might be able to make additional recommendations regarding transportation and viewing options.

Also check out:
http://www.disney-deads.com/
The Dead Runner's Society is a world wide internet discussion group very simliar to The Dis, only it's about running of course. ;)
The Disney Deads are an off-shoot of the DRS.
DH has been a Dead Runner for years. It's a very supportive group. You will find newbies and gurus, just like here.
Their motto: Carpe Viem. (Sieze the Road) ;)
I even suggest booking ressies through Dreams Unlimited.
The expo use to be at the World of Sports.
This January they moved it to CSR. And I think CSR booked up very fast and full due to this.
I know the Teams in Training members I spoke with were all staying there. And that's a heck of a lot of people in itself.
Disney increased the numbers that could enter for the 2003 race. DH didn't mind. He has run very large marathons, like Chicago.
But he mentioned a few days ago MANY runners were complaining to Disney of the numbers increase. He said at that time Disney had not announced how many entrants were being allowed for 2004. His gut feeling is Disney will decrease the size to what it use to be, or close, because of the complaints. But that is only speculation.
The entry fee is steep, and participants don't get as many perks that most marathons have. But this is DH's favorite marathon. And the WDW marathon even beats the San Diego Marathon where Elton John welcomed him personally at the finish line!
Disney does have their act together when it comes to the marathon.

Thanks for all the info goofy about mickey [i/] and luv2roam [i/]

We usually like to stay at the Wilderness Lodge, so I'm not sure how transportation figures in there.

I'm not sure if DH would want to visit the expo or not (sounds like he might enjoy it). Maybe he could visit while I took the children to a park for a while. Is the expo only the Saturday before the race?

We visited Disney a few weeks ago and really liked the light crowds in winter. We're looking forward to extending the race weekend and spending some time at the World. We're just unsure if we want to add the extra days on to the front of the marathon weekend or the back of the marathon weekend - any advice?

Colette

We stayed at ASMu in January (2003) and the bus service to and from CSR was GREAT. Disney really has their act together for the marathon.
We have always stayed the week after the marathon. DH doesn't want to trash his legs walking around the parks before a marathon. Although I know a lot of the runners stay the week before.
This last time we arrived Friday, and took it easy Saturday. We still went to MGM. But mostly just to ride RnRC and ToT.
The Disney Deads have an off-site Saturday pre race pasta dinner, for a very reasonable price. The last two times it has been at the Macaroni Grill (off-site) and they give the group a price break. Dinner starts at 4:30 p.m., as most runners want to get to bed early.
And it is very easy to get a ride from a fellow Disney Dead to get to the dinner and back, if you don't have transportation.
I think DH said this year that all the parks were offering a pasta dinner somewhere (not for free of course) for the runners.
The expo is on Friday and Saturday. It's an expo. Nothing that you haven't seen at others. Although last month the expo included a Trade Parade cart, and newbies got to pick one pin off the cart as a gift. But you had to stand in line about 20 minutes or so to do that. Regular pin traders, like me, we able to trade two pins. It was a nice way to meet others and chat. :) Which is what pin trading is all about.
The first year we went (January 2001) I checked into the Disney marathon travel package. They were offereing NO discounts whatsoever for the package. And the only perk I could really see was the Disney pasta meal on Saturday. I am sure it would have been neat. But I figured that meal would have cost us $400.
I never checked their marathon package since to see if they changed the discount policy.
We have been buying AP's and staying at an AS for $55 a night. :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter